1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bottle share at the Beer Baron (Livermore, CA)

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by joeneugs, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Hi all!

I'm usually MIA at local tastings due to my unpredictable schedule, but I've been tasked by the owners of the Beer Baron (Livermore Saloon) to organize a bottle share.

This doesn't have to be a "whale" tasting, just an opportunity to share some good beers with like-minded people. I was thinking Sunday, January 20th maybe around 5 pm??? I know I have a few bottles that I scored in some recent trades that I've been sitting on… :)

If anyone is interested in attending, just post here and we can work out the date/time.

Cheers!

Joe

2. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

If I don't work, I should be able to make it. And hopefully the Saloon will be finished with their remodel by then, so the place will be more 'inviting'. Harpreet(owner)probably has some good bottles stashed away, so he'll more than likely join us.

I'd say 5 is a pretty good start time. The place turns into dbag central around 9, but we should be done by then.

3. Yeah, I agree. Actually the dbaggery starts around 6 or 7. :eek:
    Sunday should be a more low key day though. Even if its just a few of us it should be a good time. I'll call a few other guys to see if we can pump this up a bit. I'll post again as we get closer to the date...

4. I should be down. Hopefully I get a case of Zombie Dust by then, if not then ill take a few other bottles I got in some trades. Sunday would be perfect for me over Saturday, regardless I'll try to be there

5. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

What a fantastic establishment name

[​IMG]

Edit:hey Ive been there before, for the grand reopening. When did they change the name from livermore saloon to beer baron?

Johnnyramirez likes this.
  6. I'm not sure if the bar is called Beer Baron or if Harpreet (the owner) is the Beer Baron. I've always known it as the Livermore Saloon though. And in any case, it's listed as the Livermore saloon

7. hophead247

The 'Beer Baron' sign went up around 6+ months ago....and pissed off many locals. It still says Livermore Saloon on part of the sign, but can only be seen close up.

On their website the picture of Harpreet says 'Beer Baron'....but nobody obviously calls him that.

8. Seeing as this is less than 2 weeks away I figured I'd ask some things.
    How many people are going? Have we got a set time and date? How many bottles should I take? I don't wanna show up with 2 bottles if everyone is taking 3-4 but I don't wanna go with too much and just have overkill. I also don't have whales, is this cool? Any specific styles we're looking at focusing on? This is my first bottle share I might attend so I'm curious about it.

9. hophead247

I know a few people from my group are planning on attending...as well as myself. Only 1 or 2 of them are on BA, so I'll be the one confirming. I'd say 2 bottles per person should be fine. Harpreet(the owner) probably has something he'll open up for the event as well.

I'm thinking we should start sometime around 3-4, but I don't gave a problem with a little later. Just not too late....the Affliction and Tapout shirts start appearing in full force around 8 or so.

10. I think I'm off work at 5 that day but I can get off at 3 which will be perfect. I'm thinking of taking a Jester King 750 and something else. Not too sure. Probably a Gotlandsdricka and either a Pumking or something else. Would that be fine?

11. hophead247

For sure. I haven't decided what to bring yet, but usually some harder to get offerings are ideal.

12. I have some trades going on right now, idk if I'll get them by the 20th. But if I do I'll take some harder to grab offerings or be on the lookout for some hard to grab stuff around here

13. If everyone want to start this earlier at 3pm, I'm cool with that. I know there are a few guys on ratebeer that will be coming too. Probably at least 3 or 4. Hophead247, Johnnyramirez, you guys want to start at 3?

14. I'll let you know for sure tomorrow, but 3PM should be fine. I'll try to get off work at 2:30 so I can walk over there

15. hophead247

3 sounds good to me, but I'll go with the majority. I believe we have a mutual friend (Jon) who we be coming also.

16. So how many people does it look like? 10 or so? And since its my first bottle share, what's the etiquette? Usually I split bottles only with friends so it's informal at best.

17. hophead247

I'm coming with 2 or 3 other guys...which could be who Joe knows also, so I'm not sure on a count yet. I'm sure whoever is working at The Saloon will join in as well.

We don't really have a set plan or anything at all the tastings we've done in the past. Just check out what bottles are there, make a decision on one to drink, and share it with everyone.

There is no food at The Saloon, but many spots around it that we can bring in.

Johnnyramirez likes this.
  18. Cool. I'm 90% sure I'm taking a Jester King Gotlandsdricka and a Thrash Metal. So hopefully those are good choices. If not let me know and I'll try to find something better.

19. Yeah, Jon said he's bringing a few others. I'll call him and let him know we're moving this to 3:00.

20. hophead247

Cool. He and I were at Tap 25 having a few on Sunday and he brought the tasting up before I could let him know. I guess he saw your post on the other site.

21. I will try to make this. I'm going to look through my schedule in the next couple days and my cellar to figure out what to bring.

22. So I'm able to go, but I get off work and won't be able to go home to grab my beer, would any attending BA want to hold my beer for me and take it? I can keep it on me but it would probably be warm when I show up. Any help would be appreciated. I'm definitely taking 2 Jester King bombers unless a trade comes in before then, which I doubt.

23. mrosinack

mrosinack Aspirant (40) California Jan 15, 2013

Bummer - while I have been known to frequent the Saloon, I am going to be out of town that weekend. Will keep an eye out for the next one - cheers!

24. hophead247

A handful of people from my tasting group will be there...I'd say bringing our total to around 15, give or take.

I'll be bringing some Abrasive, Hopslam, and Bourbon County Stout.

25. If someone can hold my bottles so they aren't sitting in a backpack at my work all day, I will be taking Gotlandsdricka, Drinking in The Sunbelt, and possibly another beer. Might be a Oak Yeti.

Don't know if the Oak Yeti is seen as a shelf beer, I haven't seen it around but seekabrew says we get it here

26. futura123

futura123 Savant (340) California Jul 29, 2010

Wish you guys have a blast. Too bad I don't work in San Ramon anymore. Begin missing East Bay beer scene and how easy it is to grab a PtE.

27. hophead247

Not sure what city you live in, or where your work is, but I would just throw them in a small cooler with ice.

28. Damn, I would have loved to join this bottleshare. I'll be out of town this weekend though and won't be back till late evening Sunday, just missing it. Have a great time guys and hope to make it to the next one. There will be future bottleshares at the Saloon right?

29. I live in Tracy. I might just get those ice gel packets and put those in a cooler or something.

Are the beers I chose fine? I don't wanna take anything that's seen as easy to grab here in California, I wanna take something that maybe not everyone has tried or something along those lines

30. hophead247

Those beers should be just fine. Jester King makes it's way to CA, but only a handful of places receive it that I know of.

31. Yeah, I've only seen Le Petit Prince, Black Metal and the other year rounds here. Haven't seen any of the seasonals so I'm hoping nobody has tried these or they aren't too widely available, I'd hate to take something that anyone can pick up at a good shop in Oakland

32. Sounds good everyone. To those that can't make it…. Harpreet said that he would like to make this a regular (perhaps monthly?) thing at the Saloon. My schedule makes it hard for me to make these things too often, so maybe someone else can arrange it going forward. Or better yet, pick something like every 3rd Sunday of the month? Anyway, we can talk about it this weekend.

33. Alright so I'm taking Chocolate Oak Yeti and Gotlandsdricka for sure. Might bring another bottle too. See you guys Sunday

34. hophead247

I picked up a bunch of sausages(brats) today at Costco, so I'll cook those up and bring in with me.

35. Sounds awesome! Looking forward to this guys. I'm probably bringing a Black Tuesday and either a 2012 Darkness, Smoke or CCB Bolita. Any preferences?

36. hophead247

Yes to Black Tuesday :)

37. I've never tried any of those. But any of those would be great! :)

I don't have anything on par with Black Tuesday. But I'll ask if there's preference too between
    Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti, Oak Aged Yeti, JK Gotlandsdricka, Thrash Metal or Drinking In The Sunbelt. I'm taking 2 of them. I was leaning towards Gotlandsdricka and Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti. But since it's a bottle share, I should ask.

38. Nvm. I had to head to work so I brought Gotlandsdricka and Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti. I will have others for future tastings.

39. Those sound great! See everyone at 3:00

40. hophead247

Trying my best to kick this head cold I got a couple days ago to attend this tasting.