1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bottle Shop Aging

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by MVP09, Mar 16, 2013.

1. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (365) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

Stumbled upon a bottle shop on my way home from work. Good craft selection but seems like it grows because stuff sits on shelves. Kinda place where 30 racks sell every 10min. I picked up 4 bottles and at least 3 people came in for KOB. Anyway I picked up 2010 Old Guardian, 2011 Odyssey, 2011 Stone RIS, and HS Below Decks BA 2011. I guess these are good scores. The one bad thing I know is to make sure they were not in direct sunlight. The seems to get very little sunlight just front door where no beer is. Gonna go back again and see if i find more. Shopping there is like american pickers of craft beer no real order for beers. Thoughts? Will these age well?
  2. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Thoughts, try a couple. See how they taste. Sometimes you may find a beer and it was in a case for two years and they just brought it out. Sometimes it was sitting right under the light on the top shelf next to the heater and they just brought it down. :) I tend to have very good luck with old shelf beer.
  3. generally speaking. Places that are smart enough to hold on to older vintages and scatter them around every now and then are smart enough when it comes to light strucking their product.
  4. i found a spot with 10 year old beer, all tasted great. no direct sunlight though
  5. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (770) California Jan 15, 2009

I found myself out in Lancaster, California a couple of years ago and looked on this site to see if there were any good places out there. Imagine my surprise when I found one rated "exceptional." I had to go.

I went in and I was blown away by the selection and the amazing selection of old beers; some years old and none of the older ones in a cooler. I generally have no problem buying off a shelf, as long as the store is air conditioned and the bottles appear to be out of the sun - usually not a problem for me. Here, some were so old I knew I was taking a chance and I purchased at least two cases of beer, many bottles were bombers that I'd never seen, and several were from breweries that normally are not distributed in California. I don't make judgments; I was glad to see the bottles and I spent a lot of money, thinking this was a rare find and I might not see these bottles again.

I posted on my visit some time in 2011, I believe, although I won't mention the name of the place now. I never went back to change my review, nor did I ever comment on the experience.

This thread reminded me. Every bottle....yes, every bottle, that was over a few months old was gone; oxidized and/or skunked - period. I likely opened 30+ bottles of beer from this place and not a one was drinkable.

So, my only comment is to proceed with caution. I knew that I was taking a gamble and chose to do it. (Although I admit I was disappointed; I had hoped for at least one rare "good" find). I think it was worth the gamble and I'd likely do it again. Naturally, I never reviewed any of these bad bottles, something about which we all have to be careful. (If you find an old bottle on a shelf, buy it and you don't like it, you're being unfair to the beer having purchased it knowing it was old. JMO here but I suspect it mirrors most opinions on reviewing old bottles).

Any, be cautious.
  6. There's one spot in the Boston area I know of that has a literal beer cellar. They release stuff from it from time to time and just put it on the shelves. That's how I got an '05 120 min and a triple bock back in '09.

They are probably not the norm, though; that said, I've picked up a few dusty bottles with no major issues.
  7. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

I think it takes some knowledge on the customer's part. When I lived in Minneapolis there were a handful of stores that had older vintages on the shelf. If it was clear that craft beer wasn't the focus of the establishment or if there was a year old Yeti on the shelf but right next to it was a year old Founders Centennial IPA then I definitely knew I was taking a risk in buying the Yeti. Sometimes it worked out, sometimes it didn't. Not sure if that's the best example considering Yeti is great with a year, but you get my point. On the other hand, if a store has a great selection of craft beer and has older vintages clearly marked and all of the beer that is best fresh actually is fresh then I wouldn't even think twice about purchasing an older vintage.
  8. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (365) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

Yea spent $40 at this place for 4 bottles. Odyssey was $15 probably biggest risk everything else was under $8. Hopefully it works out
  9. Ant7780

Ant7780 Aficionado (210) Michigan Dec 2, 2012

Where is this place/What is it called? I'm visiting Boston in July and I'd love to check it out.
  10. Also wondering myself from mass where this is. Always wanted to find a place with beers with age on them.
  11. The name escapes me- it's the spot in Davis square in medford, down the street from rose's diner on the corner across from a goodwill