1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bottle Shop Experience: Airing of Grievances

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by BeerBaron, Nov 10, 2012.

1. CruisaC

CruisaC Savant (280) Ohio Sep 3, 2010

I say once it's in your hands, it's tough luck for the employee/manager. Part that bothered me the most was the fact that he took it out of your hands, even if you hadn't paid for it yet.

The way I see it, you are much more likely to never shop there again after that stunt than another customer "promised" a 4pack.
    marcgo2 likes this.
  2. Vav

Vav Savant (485) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Completely agree, hence the "I'm not defending his actions."

edit: Yeah, what TMoney said
    tjfilippo likes this.
  3. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

I couldn't disagree more. There's no need to lie. We're not little kids. If you have to deal with asshats either way, might as well just tell the truth.
    BeerBaron and Lordkrystic like this.
  4. vrbulldog22

vrbulldog22 Savant (405) Ohio Sep 5, 2010

The closest to anything like this that I've witnessed there was saying that they were selling KBS at 6, having received two cases total, and having 24 people in line at 5:15, so they went ahead & handed out 2 bottle allotments since the line already represented the amount they had... Can't imagine snatching out of hands though, or trying to say you can buy merchandise that has been placed on the sales floor: at least one of those seems to scream for a lawsuit..
  5. Bonis

Bonis Savant (410) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

I guess I'll never be going to this Anderson's. There are too many other awesome bottle shops in Cbus. Weiland's, Blacklick, Palmer's, Pace High, Kenny Rd, Barrel & Bottle, so many more. Eff em at Anderson's.
    BeerBaron and gpawned like this.
  6. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

If you didn't get any BB this year I'd gladly offer you up a 4 pack.
  7. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

To the OP: Another thing I'd do if I were you was send a link to this thread to their customer service dept. Seeing numbers of people saying they will not shop there due to this insolent jerk of an employee may help spur some changes.
    jacob4999 likes this.
  8. BeerBaron

BeerBaron Savant (265) Ohio May 30, 2008

Thanks TomTwanks. I ended up finding a 4-pack down the street at Whole Foods.
    gpawned, MarkIntihar and TomTwanks like this.
  9. jminch

jminch Savant (340) Ohio Jul 17, 2011

I have had issues with the guy at The Anderson's (sawmill) too and probably will never have to go back since Whole foods across the street has expanded their beer selection. More importantly the beer manager there constantly engages in friendly conversation and offers up stuff that may not be on the shelves yet. He seems to remember me and stops whatever he's doing to make sure I'm gonna leave happy.
    BeerBaron likes this.
  10. BeerBaron

11. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

I've had issues with The Andersons and I think their biggest issue is how many employees they have in the beer/wine department. When you're buying something from a big retail store, you won't get the same customer service a small store will have. I know the Talmadge location in Toledo has some employees who are really aware of beer releases and lists and there are other employees who have no idea what's going on.

I reserved a bottle of Frangelic Mountain Brown and called them about it and one of the employees told me it had already been picked up. I explained that it wasn't possible and all he could do is apologize and tell me somebody picked a bottle up and used my name or an employee sold it to somebody else.
  12. beesy

beesy Savant (350) Ohio Jul 21, 2010

Just so I'm clear is everyone referring to the fairly young (mid-late 20's) somewhat tall (6'2"ish) guy? His name eludes me at the moment.

I've never had problems like the ones afore mentioned and I've shopped in there a lot over the years but wow, it's a little concerning how many bad stories are coming out and especially concerning on how the OP was treated. This thread will make me reconsider how much I shop there.

I've always questioned their "reserve" policy there as its seemed sketchy at best. I have seen bottles sitting out with peoples names on them for beers I know were just released, have asked if they had more, was told no, then see it shelved a few days later. Not defending anyone but I think what they really have is a process problem that no one (including the beer manager) is stepping up to fix and it's creating the issues and shitty customer service. Too bad.
  13. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Savant (265) Michigan May 16, 2012

I swear that if I were in the Cbus area, I would also avoid going there after reading that story. Disgusting.
  14. BeerBaron

That is who I'm referring to. Someone dropped his first name earlier in this thread.
  15. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

I went looking for KBS when it was released. I went to a shop that i normally dont visit but i i was just curious as to whether or not they got it. I asked the sales guy that was walking around and he said they got it and i asked if they had any left. He told me he bought the whole case because he loved it. I told him that that wasnt cool and then started looking around for something to buy. He came up to me again and he says that that is part of the perks of having that job and said that he is sure that i have special perks at whatever job i am at.

Kind of upset about the whole thing but oh well
  16. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Also, another place in NWI, i was checking out and then guy told me to come back on Saturday for a raffle they are having for limited beers. He said that he was raffling his case of Ruination 10th. This was close to 1.5 months-2 months since it was released. I told him i thought it was odd that he held that since that beer would have been much better fresh and holding it for a raffle wasnt a great idea.

Maybe i should have just not said anything since it is his store but that put me off a little bit
  17. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Ok, plain & simple they had to be reserved for him or another fellow employee & this particular clerk was unaware of the "reserve" which obviously doesn't apply to the customers. Having worked in retail, I'm well aware of the amount of hard to find items that NEVER make it to the sales floor. I like the Anderson's but will avoid the Dublin location. What bush league power tripping lunacy, what an asshole. I would have tried to get someone above him to give me a refresher on Anderson's policies. Is there a reserve or not? And if you wanna avoid the craft beer crowd, stick w/BMC & their myopic masses.
  18. 1) Reservation lists are standard at all of the Anderson's locations as far as I'm aware.
    2) Contact the local store manager and express your concerns. Make it clear that you'll be contacting corporate once you're off the phone with him.
    3) Call the corporate offices in Maumee, OH (Dussel Drive). My impression of the Anderson's company from living near their headquarters, shopping at their stores, and knowing many people who've worked for their retail division, is that customer service does matter to them. They may not be able to pull a four pack of BWB out of their backsides to give to you (and if they do please let me know as that's a hell of a trick!), but I think its a safe bet that that employee will be corrected.
  19. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

If you're writing letters perhaps you should write one to Goose Island.
  20. BeerBaron

Do you mean Founders?
  21. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Yep My bad
  22. BeerBaron

For those still interested, I ended up hear back from Anderson's. The President - Dan Anderson - emailed me personally and apologized for the way I was treated. I found this to be a nice gesture. I also heard back from the store manager who apologized and said that they talked to the beer manager and he was apologetic too, and that this would be "a learning experience for him." The store manager also told me they reviewed the "holding" policy and how this should not happen again.

They also offered me a $25 gift card but no BB

To be honest I don't know what I was expecting their reaction to be, but I will still never shop there again.
    Photekut likes this.
  23. Interesting thread.

But none of these opinions make any difference unless the company is contacted. The owners won't know you're "never going to shop there again" and probably won't see any difference in their bottom line. And if, by chance, they do see sales drop, they won't know why unless dissatisfied customers let them know.

Shoot man, take the gift card, get $25 worth of beer and then never shop there again.
    miketd and mjshearer1 like this.
  24. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (650) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Sounds like they want to make it right. Enjoy some good free beer and forgive and forget is my humble advice.
    5thOhio likes this.
  25. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

I hate smug assholes like this who fancy themselves above policy and then try to justify their actions by making assumptions about you and your life.

I posted this months ago when KBS was being released this year, but there's a bottle shop that's a two minute walk from my house that I frequented, the owner of which knew I was looking for it and tried to sell it to me from his "personal collection" at $20 a bottle because "that's how much it's selling on eBay for". Riiiight. Likely, he took all the store's allocation for himself and tried to turn it around. I still go there on occasion because they often have stuff there that's been gone for months everywhere else and the rest of the staff there is great, but not nearly as often as I did. He's also one of those smug guys who think they're all smooth and always has a shit eating grin on his face that just comes off as arrogant. Since eBay's basically abolished beer selling on the site, I'm going to hit up that place again when 2013 KBS lands and see what his excuse is this time.
  26. BeerBaron

The company was contacted directly...did you see my most recent post?
  27. Yes I saw it. I wasn't referring to you but the others who had similar complaints.
  28. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

You have every right to be upset based on your description of the events.
    I would have gotten in the mangers ass in front of everyone and let him know how unprofessional he was and let everyone witness it.
    If that worked as planned, I would let it go from there.

If not, next step is to call the distributor, then the brewer. etc.

PS- it's not too late.

Hope you found another good store!