1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Bottle Shops along 77 in OH...or in Columbus?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by caber2615, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Coming home to MI after visiting NC for the holidays. I want to stop at a few good bottle shops in OH on the way home. I'm trying to decide if I should cut through Columbus or just go straight up 77 through Canton and Akron. Anyone have any good recommendations in for bottle shops in Columbus off 33, 270, or 23 or on the other route off 77 all the way up to the turnpike?

I'm planning my route based on which one has the best bottle shops on the way!

Thanks all,

2. JimDH

JimDH Aficionado (215) Kentucky Feb 7, 2011

3. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

77 is VERY close to Cleveland too.... if you're doing the 77 to 90 to 23 route to Michigan, then I would suggest hitting up Cleveland, and I could give some good recommendations for sure.

4. Tell me more, we thought about stopping at Great Lakes, but they're closed Sundays

5. I like the suggestion to hit Columbus to get some Columbus IPA (many good supermarkets or almost any bottle shop you find will have it, but either of The Andersons is a good suggestion too), but if you're going to end up going thru the Cleveland area instead of Columbus then I suggest Fat Heads in North Olmsted. It's not too far off of the I-80 & I-480 interchange. Enjoy all of their beers with some great food, and get some Headhunter IPA to go.

6. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

If your looking for Cleveland bottle shops try lizardville, simones or rozis wine house

7. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

These, and you can even hit up Mini-Mart and Ross Deli which are both on the same street between Rozi's and Simones (although Rozi's and Simones are the better shops, you're there, so may as well stop by)

North-Coast-Wines on W117th is close by too, and may be worth a stop.

More out of the way, but worth looking into are Brew Kettle and Fat Heads, with Fat Heads being more "on the way" back to Michigan, since it's right off of 90.

I'd skip GLBC even if it were open (if bottle-shops are what you're looking for)

8. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

The Brew Kettle is less than 5 minutes off OH Turnpike exit 161. If you wanted to do both Brew Kettle and Fat Head's, I would recommend hitting BK and then head up I71 to 480W to Fat Head's(10-12 min). After that, head 480W to the Turnpike. If you go to Cbus, head up 71... Brew Kettle is right off(2 min) 71 and Pearl Rd. Then you can do the other route above or jump on the Turnpike and head back to MI.

9. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

Hell, UDF gas stations have it! And it looks like they've got their bottle dating machine back up and running so you shouldn't have to worry about freshness. Definitely a great beer and only $9 a sixer 'round here.

10. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Savant (270) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

11. Stop at Andersons Market in Toledo. Make sure it's the Andersons off of Sylvania Ave and not the one on Talmadge. Not that the Talmadge one is bad but the Sylvania one has a much better selection. Seriously it's one of the best beer stores I've ever been in. The guys that work there are awesome too. Good friends of mine.

senseimike likes this.
  12. I've stopped at the Sylvania store a few times in my travels. It is a great store. Maybe 10 minutes off of US-23 (as a guess) so it's not so far out of the way if the OP is going into Michigan on Rt 23.

13. Ended up at Anderson's in Toledo, good advice all. Thank you

14. What did ya get?

15. Got 1 bottle (their last) of Zombie dust, a sixer of milk stout nitro (cant get left hand in wayne county) and a bottle of the beer that does not exist, Brooklyn Black Ops. Decent score. Thanks again all.