1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bottle Shops for Cantillon in and around Brussels

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by brewbetter, Jul 11, 2012.

1. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

I'm going to be in Belgium from July 26 to 29. I will definitely visit Cantillon, but I don't think they keep a stock of their special releases there. Is there any chance of finding Mamouche, St lamvinus, Fou'Foune, etc?

I would also be happy to trade in person if people are interested.
    franklinn likes this.
  2. Cantillon still had bottles of St. Lamvinus in stock when I was there about a month ago. Bier Temple and Beer Planet both had various Cantillons but no Fou Foune. Doubt you'll be able find Fou Foune in any bottle shops, but both Moeder Lambics had it. €22 at St. Gilles and €30 at Fontainas.
  3. beerpirates

beerpirates Savant (425) Belgium May 4, 2010

I was at cantillon about 4 weeks ago and all st lamvinus was sold out , the only thing that was possible was to order a bottle ( whitout label ) st lamvinus and drink it at the brewery , they open the bottle and give you some glasses , that was weeks ago , so i don't think they still have it to drink there now !
  4. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Thanks for the info. Is there any hope of getting the Lou Pepe kriek or Low Pepe gueuze?
  5. You can drink LPs at Moeder Lambic, but I didn't see them any in bottle shops. I did see Cuvee St. Gilloise, Lamvinus, Vigneronne, Iris, Bruocsella, and maybe Mamouche in bottle shops.
  6. Hey Deeblo,
    Any reasonably priced shops around the Brussels area? I am interested in purchasing some bottles to ship home...
  7. If you're looking for Cantillon, it's much cheaper at the brewery than anywhere else. Bottle shops in the center of Brussels (Bier Temple, Beer Planet) have good selections but can be a bit pricey, though probably still much cheaper than Belgian beers in the US.
  8. My favorite beer store in Brussels is Delices et Caprices, not far from Delirium and Mort Subite. The owner Pierre, has a well thought out selection of bottles, including Cantillon and most other Lambic producers. They also have a handful of bottles cold to drink on site.
  9. Buy Cantillon at the brewery. It's freaking cheap as hell. My move on my last 2 visits has been just hanging out there for a few hours popin bottles at the brewery. It's a great place to just hang out. All sorts of people coming in and out and I have had some great conversations just relaxing and sippin. They will have good stuff there. I bought 9X750's and a Super Gueuze T shirt take away for 70 Euro's. You arn't gonna beat that.
  10. drtth

drtth Champion (830) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Truly a place that stands out in memory as unique and to be visited again whenever possible.
  11. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (485) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Last time I checked (two weeks ago), Bier Tempel had Fou'foune at €14 a bottle. Not horribly overpriced, but might as well go straight to the brewery.
  12. I was at the brewery on October 1st and they had:

Fou Foune
    Mamouche
    Rose de Gambrinus
    Classic Guezue

and I think the Kreik. The prices blew me away, I also would try the brewery first.
  13. As of Saturday they had plenty of Fou Foune, Mamouche and their general releases.

Fou Foune was 8,50 a bottle
    Mamouche was 8
    They also have the Kriek, Geuze, Rose 750 mix packs for 17

Cantillon is a 20 minute walk from Grand Place. Enjoy a bottle of 2010 Lou Pepe Kriek in te tasting room. Stop in at Moeder Lambic on the way there and back.
  14. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Pics of the super gueuze shirt?
  15. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

Any more recent updates on what's available at the brewery? A friend will be there on the 3rd of December and is going to mule me back some beers. Priority is for FF, Mamouche and any LPs. Would also love a pic of that shirt as well. Thanks in advance.
  16. I was there last week, and they still had some FF... Mamouche was sold out at the brewery, but readily available at the bottle shops in Brussels. Shouldn't be a problem picking some up. Didn't see any LP anywhere in Brussels. Harder to come by right now...

Although I don't have a picture of the Super Geuzue shirt, I was not all that impressed... or maybe its just because I can't get passed the normal shirt with Cantillon logo! I have a couple of those along with a sweatshirt...
  17. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

Thanks a lot for the info. Does anyone know how easy zwanze is going to be found come December 4th? I'm guessing its gonna be fairly limited and wasn't even sure if the brewery was doing anything for the release.
  18. I don't believe that any Zwanze will be, or has been bottled. The entire point of Zwanze Day is to introduce the Zwanze beer to as many people as possible through the different pubs and bars throughout the world, but not bottle/distribute/sell to open market.
  19. Still FF as of Friday and the reg lineup, but no mamouche or LP (except for on premise consumption).

Regarding zwanze, some was bottled but it didnt look like it would be made available for general sale or anything.
  20. Monsone

Monsone Savant (350) Illinois Jun 5, 2006

Not sure on the plan this year, but last year you could buy a bottle Zwanze at the brewery for on-site consumption.
  21. SGToliver

SGToliver Savant (325) Washington Nov 22, 2012

I was at Moeder Lambic for zwanze day, no bottles were allowed to be sold. Also I bought the last bottle of Fou Foune two weeks ago.
  22. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

How about in time? I've bought zwanze bottles at Moeder Lambic for take-away before.
  23. SGToliver

SGToliver Savant (325) Washington Nov 22, 2012

I think they said it could be bought for an in brewery drink (at cantillon) but it wouldn't be sold in bottles at all. The owners were very upset that bottles were being sold at incredibly high prices on ebay and other places. So they just stopped selling bottles of it.