1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bottle shops in Portland or Hood River areas?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by senseimike, Apr 2, 2012.

1. senseimike

senseimike Member

Hey guys, a friend is working between Portland and Hood River, and is hoping to pick up some good beers before heading home. Especially Russian River, Deschutes, and Hair of the Dog. So far he has only been able to find them on tap.
    Any suggestions for good bottle shops in either area that are likely to carry a good variety of these?
    Thanks!
  2. ramnuts

ramnuts Member

Not many options for bottle shops outside of PDX and Vancouver, WA. If he is close to Portland, have him grab you a $13 growler of HOTD Adam at the brewpub. Otherwise, the usual choices in Portland are Belmont Station, Beaumont Market, Beermongers, John's Marketplace, Bridgetown Beerhouse and Bottles, in that order. Saraveza and some others are out there, incl. New Seasons, Fred Meyers and Whole Foods, but I set out the lineup in the order that I prefer. Just my preferences.
  3. johnmichaelsen

johnmichaelsen BA Moderator Staff Member

Ramnuts recommendations are all good, though I confess I'm a bit puzzled by the original question. Depending on what exactly you're looking for, you can find a good selection of Deschutes and Hair of the Dog at most grocery stores and even Trader Joe's. Russian River stuff is a bit more difficult to obtain, but even so, places like Whole Foods and Market of Choice will typically have things like Damnation, Consecration and Supplication. On the other hand, if you're trying to find bottles of Pliny, that's going to be a bit tougher, simply because those places that receive it tend to sell out pretty quickly. The Deschutes reserve line-up is a bit easier to come by (you should still be able to find most stuff at better grocery stores in the area), though you won't find Abyss, Hop Henge or the Stoic at Trader Joe's. As for HOTD, you can generally find Fred and Adam at better grocery stores and even Trader Joes. Blue Dot and Doggies Claws are a bit more difficult to come by, but can generally be found at better grocery stores such as Fred Meyers, MofC and Whole Foods. Anything else from the wood, you're best bet is to try to find them at the tasting room (though in most instances, you won't be allowed to take them to go). Sometimes you can also find "from the wood" stuff at places like Belmont Station, Beer Mongers and John's (even MofC on occasion), but that's fairly uncommon and I'd be lying if I told you there was any one place you could always count on to find those beers outside the tasting room.

That being said, if you're just looking for core beer from Deschutes, certain sours from RR, and just the regular Fred and Adam, pretty much any high quality grocery store in PDX will do. The more limited stuff can be found as well, but may take a bit more of a search (the places Ramnuts mentions should have them, at least on occasion). Good luck.
  4. senseimike

senseimike Member

He is a bit out in the middle of nowhere, so the selection is rather limited. However, he will be going to both Portland and Hood River in the next few days, and wanted an idea of where to go before actually getting there.
    Thanks for the tips guys!
  5. ajramirez1

ajramirez1 Member

Belmont Station in pdx is my suggestion. 1300+ beers there currently & they got all the ones prev listed. Worth the trip & its a guaranteed one stop shop. He can go home with a case full of great brrrs
    A-
  6. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Member

If he finds himself in Hood River it may be worth checking out Volcanic. Their selection can't touch any of the places in Portland, but they have roughly 200 well chosen bottles and 6 (I think) rotating taps. Oh, and tell him to snag a bottle of Logsdon's Seizoen Bretta. Trust me.
    djbreezy and Mahlik like this.
  7. NWer

NWer Member

What he said.
    If he's not going to Portland, Volcanic is all there is.
    Gotta ask since I'm in Hood River as we speak, Logsdon's is by appointment only. Will Volcanic have it? Or do I have a good chance to find it in Portland when I'll be there on Wednesday?
  8. NWer

NWer Member

Answering my own question. Grabbed one today at Volcanic.