1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Bottle Shops LA area.

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Whiskeygirlchef, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Heading up to LA for the day and would like to hit up a couple bottle shops. Any recommendations besides Lonehill and Walnut.
    Cheers

2. You can't go wrong with Ramirez Liquor in Boyle Heights or Pico Rivera.

3. nicks6217

nicks6217 Savant (395) California Jan 15, 2010

where in LA will you be and do you have a car?

thedirtyname likes this.
  4. What Nicks said. Besides Lone Hill and Walnut, there's Hacienda Beverage in Brea. Could easily do Lone Hill, Walnut, and Hacienda in one go in a few hours.

For places closer to LA proper, I have a fondness for Bill's in Atwater and Valley Beverage in Sherman Oaks. Both have a good selection and helpful workers.

5. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (600) California Mar 26, 2011

6. Lonehill and Walnut aren't exactly LA bottleshops. I'd recommend Ramirez Boyle Heights, Vendome Toluca Lake or Bev Hills, Beverage Warehouse, and maybe Wally's Wines if you'll be in LA proper.

7. Thank you guys so much for your recommendations. I will do some navigating and see how many I can hit while there.

8. drgonzo2k2

drgonzo2k2 Savant (480) California Aug 24, 2012

Just moved from LA, and I definitely miss the amazing bottle shops there. Depending on where you're at, be sure to check out:

Ramirez Liquor - either in Boyle Heights or their new Pico Rivera location (over 1100 beers they say)
    Buzz Wine & Beer - Downtown LA
    Vendome - Beverly Hills
    Beverage Warehouse - Marina Del Rey
    Adam's Fine Wine & Spirits - Redondo
    Whole Foods - El Segundo or Venice Beach

If you hit up two or more of those spots, you should be able to fill up your car!

grandmachine and PG2G like this.
  9. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

with all due respect Brea is nowhere near LA, by a long shot

10. if u make the trek up to lone hill liquor, there are at least 2 other stops off of the 210 that will make the trip worthwhile: house of spirits and certified market (these 2 are within 5 mins of each other via car). and plaza market is in el monte to the south off of the 605 (if you're coming from LA proper, could be on your way up) that also has a phenomenal selection. the relative concentration of those 4 is definitely worth the drive.

11. Well, the op did mention Lone Hill and Walnut. I threw in Hacienda as a good place to hit up if he was doing those two. Then I made some recommendations for places closer to what I'd consider LA proper.

12. Sam_Frank

i gotcha.

i have to say, even though some of these places are in the OC, and/or not that close to me it's nice to hear about new places to go check out.

13. I completely agree. Those three end up being 45 minutes away from me, but they end up being on the way to the bruery for me. So I swung by them on a bruery run after hearing how good they were. Definitely worth the side trip Imo.

14. I would also recommend Ramirez, but considering how fast the beers are moving from there lately, Dayman being gone in a couple of hours, I'd just suggest not going there cause you're taking my shelf whales, brah.

:p

drgonzo2k2 likes this.
  15. Sam_Frank

my parents live in Fullerton so i'm out there sometimes. will definitely plan my trip accordingly next time

16. [​IMG]
    I wish people would specify in their OP the actual area/ part of L.A. where they will be. I mean, Palmdale is in Los Angeles Co.

jmgrub likes this.
  17. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (295) California Jul 12, 2012

Los Angeles means city, noone is talking about the county here. When people don't specify I assume they're willing to take a drive. I know I drive 50 miles RT for dimsum sometimes.

18. That sounds like it has to be a damned good dimsum place.

19. I would assume city as well, except that so many people asking are tourists who have a broad idea of what constitutes Los Angeles. At the same time many people will reply with whatever their favorite place is with no regard for geography. Sure X bottle shop is only 20 miles from your hotel, but it will take you 3 hours to get there. I'm just getting old and grumpy.

20. I've heard people say they were coming to LA to visit only to find out they were actually staying in some far off place like Riverside. It doesn't hurt to give an approximation that way the best advice is given.

21. I agree with Bungletronics. The majority of times people are coming to Los Angeles and ask for advice, they are pretty far from the downtown area. It's easy to just say Los Angeles, but yeah, it's a big place.

22. PG2G

PG2G Advocate (580) California Dec 26, 2011

Most folks living on the west side have grown accustomed to having to drive that far for good Chinese or Vietnamese food :/

TheFarmBoy3 likes this.
  23. Sam_Frank

i feel sorry for tourists coming here. i think people have no idea how huge it is. on top of that, traffic is fucked.

i would stress for anyone visiting here to choose where and when you go wisely. if you're in Santa Monica, don't embark on on a trip to the East Side at 3pm. there's a decent mid day window (10:30 - 2:30) where you can get around. otherwise plan to stay near where you are unless you want to sit on the freeway for hours

i once met a couple from England who were about to take a bus from Venice Beach to go to Universal City Walk. i can't think of a more sad, unworthwhile way to spend time than on a bus going to Universal City Walk

JayORear likes this.
  24. Citywalk should not exist.

Sam_Frank, thedirtyname and Srsly like this.
  25. Going to be in the Eagle Rock area for the next few weeks (January thru February) any tips on where to go within a "reasonable" distance? I am not that familiar with the LA area so i figured I would ask the locals....

26. nicks6217

nicks6217 Savant (395) California Jan 15, 2010

Eagle rock brewing
    Golden road
    verdugo bar
    Barbra at the brewery
    Tony darts
    And the Pasadena area locations

27. So go to Oinkster. Mostly for the pastrami, but they always have a few things on tap. Go down the road to Eagle Rock Brewery. Head over to Hermosillo, and down to Verdugo. For bottle shops, your best bets are Bill's in Atwater Village, or frankly Whole Foods in Pasadena.

Whole Foods Glendale is alright, in a pinch, and closer. Vendome Pasadena is great. Vendome Toluca Lake is definitely farther but if you're there for a couple months you should make the sojourn (it's not THAT far).

Since you're not far, when you get in the mood for Italian (and who doesn't?) definitely hit up Maximiliano (also good for brunch), they're sort of the unofficial Craftsman tap room (and if you're not familiar with Craftsman, become so).

And not far from Hermosillo with great food and a pretty good beer selection (nothing like Hermosillo or Verdugo's) is The York, but it's a great place, on the whole.

Make sure to make it to Father's Office while you're in town. Yeah great beer selection, but the best burger, period, and it's a very LA place (for good and bad). I'd recommend the Helms location for ease of getting in and out.

Oh, and if you head over to Pasadena...

Don't bother with Slater's, Haven is fine but drastically overpriced for what it is, King's Row is meh... you're better off with Congregation Ale House which isn't anything all that special, but offers comparable or better beer and food at a better price. Just my $.02. Or better yet, hit up the Stone Company Store and get pizzas to sit on their (admittedly tiny) patio from The Luggage Room next door.

Oh yeah, and Golden Road. New brewer has led to a HUGE improvement in their beers, and it's a great place to hang out. And I suppose, if you're hungry, you can eat there. But really I'd only plan to do so if you want to be able to keep drinking through meal times.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  28. Downtown has a couple good spots for German / Belgian beer Wurstkuche (also sausage!) and Little Bear. It's only a 15 minute drive.

29. Vendome Beverly Hills isn't currently open. They just moved to their new location and Long says they'll officially re-open in February. Just a heads up.

Also, Wally's hasn't been the same since they got rid of the beer cases. Hate to say it cuz it was one of the first bottle shops I'd frequent went to when I first got into craft beer. Just sayin'.

Vendome Toluca Lake is still great. Valley Beverage is good.