1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bottle shops near Fort Lewis

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by CA_Infidel2o9, Dec 6, 2012.

1. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

Signed my contract to transfer from army reserve to active duty and i'll be shipping off to live at Fort Lewis for the next 3 years. I've never been there so i have no idea how good the distribution is in that area.

Anyone know any good bottle shops around that area?

Also, when i walk into a bottle shop, what are the usual breweries i'll see there?

Thnx
  2. the best bottle shop closest to ft. lewis is 99 bottles in federal way, in Tacoma a new bottle shop recently opened called Pint Defiance (I have not been or heard any reviews yet), tacoma also has Tacoma Pipe & Tobacco & World Beers, Tacoma Boys, you could try going to Beverages and More or Whole Foods usually has a good beer selection. You might have to do more searching for hidden gem beer stores around pierce county. Olympia has a good beer store called Gravity Market, but I live in seattle so I never really buy beer in tacoma or oly but there are lots of good places...
    You will mostly find west coast and CO beers with some belgian/european beers sprinkled in, too many to list really. 99 bottles has a list online of what they have in stock
  3. CA_Infidel2o9

Thanks t4h2c0, your post was exactly what i needed with names of the towns they're in as well.

It sounds like ill have a better chance to get good brew there then i do now. I'm in the central valley of CA and its like a deadzone here, distribution is horrible.

Thanks again
  4. It really does depend upon where you'll be living if you are getting housing off base. If you choose to live in Lacey (as many do) then Gravity Market is your place. If you live in Tacoma or Puyallup or thereabouts, Pint Defiance is your place.
  5. CA_Infidel2o9

I'll be living on base in the barracks. I've never been to this area so all the town names are foreign to me, but i google mapped them and all these towns are within 25 mins from post, so im definitely glad i chose Ft Lewis. Plus, the area looks beautiful!
  6. I work on JBLM. On base they have a small "bottleshop" in the "Mini Mall" of about 150+ bottles. Last year I grabbed some Anchor Christmas Magnums, Abyss, Double Bastards, Old Foghorn, Ruination and a plethora of local stuff out of there. Additionally, the closest thing you will come to bigger bottleshop will be in way of Gravity beer Market in Oly or Pint Defiance, Tacoma Boys in Tacoma or a little further North of Tacoma is 99 Bottles. Outside the gate and across the I-5 at DuPont the Farrellis Pizza has a decent draft list with locals and other PNW stuff. If you need more details let me know.
    JKAllen and beertunes like this.
  7. CA_Infidel2o9

Good to hear there's something on base, since i wont have a car for the first couple months. Sounds like they have a decent selection too. Thanks for the info on Farrellis Pizza too, sounds like this could be my new spot to get something on draft.
  8. I have tried some of the beers from that Ft. Lewis bottle shop that a friend got and it seems like they get beers that are old or close to expiring, all the beers I tried from there tasted weird IMO, but check it out I am sure there some good things.
  9. youradhere

youradhere Savant (460) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

There is a city bus that runs off base for barracks rats, but then again why would you wanna leave when that new single soldier rec center that delivers beer to you while you play video games or watch movies. I think you'll like it here (aside from playing army), so long as you get out and seek out people. I'm leaving for Arkansas in two months, but if you are here before I leave hit me up.
  10. CA_Infidel2o9

Lol i had a feel it would be like that, ill make sure to check the dates before i buy anything.

Youadhere, i ship out to Lewis on the 26th of this month. I heard the first week im there ill be at reception, but once i get situated and given my room ill PM you.

By your avatar pic, it looks like you brew. Got anything bottled?
  11. He is correct. you have to keep an eye on the freshness dates coming out of there. I saw some of the pre-filled Dead Guy growlers hanging out in direct light for quite some time.
    It's not the best shop for sure but its good for a decent quick fix.
    CA_Infidel2o9 likes this.
  12. CA_Infidel2o9

I'll definitely watch the dates, but it sounds like their selection far exceeds what i thought they would have. I was picturing the usual selection you would find at a gas station. I was shocked when you said you saw Abyss, i can't find that within an hour drive radius of where i am now.
  13. I have not seen any over there this year but last year they received one case. They have a nice little Belgian selection as well.

You can pretty much find:
    DFH 90min, Tweason, India Brown and Palo plus others
    Stone Ruination, IPA, Arrogant B, Sublimely and other seasonals

Your mostly going to find run of the mill Hale's, Rogue, Elysian, Deschutes, Anchor and so on.
    Bombers and sixers. I have not seen anything exciting around there in a while but from past I know they can surprise you from time to time.
  14. CA_Infidel2o9

Sounds good, there's no DFH, Elysian, Rogue, or Hale's (never even heard of it) around here.

Is Hair of the dog, cascade, pelican, upright, readily available in this area? I've never tried these brewerys and i've heard good things about them and i think they're all from oregon.
  15. youradhere

youradhere Savant (460) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

Yep, mostly not a problem, and Peeland is just a short jaunt down I5
  16. CA_Infidel2o9

Awesome, i'm hella excited to get up there. I've been trying to transfer to active duty for a year now and the entire time i was hoping for Ft Lewis. I've heard nothing but good things about this place and i knew there would be a good craft brew crowd up there.
    beertunes likes this.
  17. SGToliver

SGToliver Savant (325) Washington Nov 22, 2012

I leave Brussels on Sunday and sign in to Fort Lewis on the 12th. Once my family and I get settled maybe we can hang out. I brought back almost 250 belgian beers with me. :)
  18. CA_Infidel2o9

Sounds good, i ship out on the 26th but i'm being told my first couple days there will be in processing but when i get situated and given my room ill PM you. I only have 60 singles of various beer, i'll have to have someone ship up for me. I'm pretty excited about it and all the BA's in the PNW have been really helpful with bottle shop/tap room locations.
    beertunes likes this.
  19. JKAllen

JKAllen Aficionado (125) Sep 8, 2012

I second Gravity in Olympia. I stay in Lacey and that's my go to joint. Honestly, the Class 6 at Lewis isn't totally horrible, they have a small but inspired Import/Craft room and I've had good luck with them so far.

Also... I'm a big Rogue fan, the Rogue Tasting House in Astoria is only a 2 hour drive if you need an excuse to see some Oregon coastline.
  20. Gravity was mentioned in post #2, #4, and #6....
  21. JKAllen

JKAllen Aficionado (125) Sep 8, 2012

Caught, corrected.
  22. CA_Infidel2o9

That's cool, just another fellow BA tryin to help out, and it's gratefully appreciated.
    beefandbean22 likes this.
  23. CA_Infidel2o9

So i arrived yesterday and it's freakin beautiful here, i walked around today looking for the mini mall and couldn't find it. Do you know the street it's on or what buildings it is close to?

Also, because of the holidays, i'm stuck in in-proccessing until next friday with no vehicle. I have 4 days off so i was wondering if there are any spots on post that have beer on tap? At this point i'm so deprived of beer i'll take a bud light on tap. Lol

BTW, i gave my last Abyss to my brother before i left and now she's all i think about. He's barely getting into craft so i started to worry. Called his ass and told him i better not hear about him drain pouring it! He's gonna drink it, and like it!
    beertunes likes this.
  24. Where are you staying now? JBLM is 500,000 acres and North Fort is its own little world. If you can find the Firestone Tire place or Waller Hall you are hot hot hot. I am assuming you are in-processing at Waller Hall , Bldg 2140 on Ligget Ave(inside is vehicle registration, Subway, Starbucks ect). Mini mall is sandwiched between the Firestone place and Waller Hall on Liggett Ave.

The 10pin Lounge at the Bowling Lanes directly across the street from the Mini Mall is your best bet for immediate beer. Selections isnt world class if you catch my drift but it should wet your whistle. I was in the Class SIx bottle shop on Thursday and they just received some fresh Ruination and Union Jack. Selection is mediocre by most CA and WA standards but there good beers for daily drinking on anyone in a pinch, however, there is a good deal of local stuff you probably have not tried yet. Utilize the base taxi.
  25. damjadi

damjadi Savant (250) Oregon Sep 17, 2003

Try the MSM Deli on 6th Avenue in Tacoma. Tons of bottles, including a wide selection from Dick's in Chehalis. Also good sandwiches. If they don't had something you want, they will try to order it....
  26. CA_Infidel2o9

I'm in Bldg 3655, way down in the southern part of the post, off 41st Division Drv. Ok i know where the mini mall is, of course it's the one place i walked out of as soon as i walked in. I'll definitely check out the bowling alley since i'll pretty much drink anything at this point. Where is the Class Six? Do you know if the Warrior Zone has beer on tap?

Thnx for all the info, this helps alot!
  27. The Warrior Zone did as of a year or two ago. Class Six is inside MiniMall towards the back.
    JKAllen likes this.
  28. CA_Infidel2o9

Alright, ill check it out. Thnx again.
  29. CA_Infidel2o9

Oh yeah, the mini mall will be able to hold me over until i get a vehicle. A pretty nice selection of DFH, Ommegang, FW, Unibroue, Stone, Rogue, Lagunitas, etc. Plus stuff i've never tried like Elysian (only tried their Vahalla) Pikes, Bridgeport, Scuttlebutt, etc.
  30. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Care to hang out in Bellingham?:p
  31. CA_Infidel2o9

Sittin at the Engine House drinkin this
    [​IMG]

Thnx for all the help, I'd be lost in WA without a good beer if it wasn't for you guy.
    youradhere and beertunes like this.
  32. CA_Infidel2o9

BTW I'll probably bet at the Engine house all night so if any BAs wanna come thru that would be awesome to meet you guys.
  33. SGToliver

I
    I do want to go to Vancouver at some point. :)
  34. CA_Infidel2o9

Did you have to go thru living in the in processing barracks with all the littke kids? If been doing it since the 25th and I regret not driving my car up from CA everyday...
  35. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Tha 'Ham makes a nice lunch stop on the way. Let me know and we'll grab a pint.
  36. SGToliver

I am here now and bored as hell and I am only day one into a long four day weekend with no car. Wanna hang out and get some beers?
  37. SGToliver

I am stuck in the barracks because my wife and kids are still in Michigan. It really sucks here...I am beyond bored.
  38. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

This is CA_Infidel2o9, I wish I would have checked BA sooner, I could have picked you up. I'm at a pub called Oddfellas and its got an ok selection of 25 brews on tap. Are you in in processing?

Grab a taxi anx go to the Warrior Zone. They have beer on tap, pool, video games, internet, tv, and a theater.
  39. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Does JBLM need its own forum? ;)
    Feel like I just stumbled into the PX or something...
    KiMiRaiK likes this.
  40. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

Definitely not. SGT is right, it's boring as s*** there and if you dont have a car, your basically screwed. The warrior zone is your only release on post if you dont have a car and the best beer on tap is breakaway ipa.

SGToliver, if your financially ok I recommend renting a car at the enterprise on post. WA is badass, and it's awesome to just drive around and look at the scenery. Tacoma's the s*** and it's minutes away. Seattle, hands down, is my favorite city I have ever been to and its only 55 mins away.