1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bottle Storage ?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Crossy, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Crossy

Crossy Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013

Hello,

Where do you guys all store your bottles ?

Milk Crates ?
    Wine Bottle Crates ?
  2. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Aficionado (200) Texas Jan 27, 2013

sierrra nevada 12 pack boxes stacked in a closet
    marcdalke likes this.
  3. In a dedicated beer fridge to keep beers fresh/ not stale. Once there is no room in that fridge I have a party. I also "cellar" my higher gravity stouts/barley wines/strong ales in the basement at ambient temp.
  4. Mattreinitz

Mattreinitz Zealot (80) New York Mar 1, 2012

There's a tower of 12 packs in the corner of my kitchen, the "leaning tower of homebrew"
  5. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (500) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

In 6 packs put inside paper cases (the 10 ream Aspen paper cases or the 10 ream Staples cases), but I am looking for a non-cardboard storage option since I store empties until bottling day, wash, rinse, sanitize, fill, and put back into the boxes wet and they are starting to lose their strength. Thinking of building crates from plywood and then sealing them so no moisture can get into the wood. I have plastic crates that hold over a case worth of bottles that I can use as well.
  6. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

Don't bottle often anymore, but recently I used a milk crate - works good! You can store at least a case in each and can use some cardboard or something for a more snug fit.

Unfortunately, I have to give the milk crate back to my buddy... I'll have to procure some of my own for the future.

In related note, I also need to come up with some sort of crate to better transport cornies.
  7. I put the bottles in the cardboard box they came in or in an empty twelve pack box. Then I store that in a closet under my stairs. I call it my "Harry Potter Homebrew House" (cause I'm a dork).
    inchrisin likes this.
  8. Crossy

Crossy Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013

9. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (500) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

10. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

I bought my bottles so they came in cardboard boxes with inserts. I taped the bottom up with packing tape since I will be using them for awhile. I store them in my basement after they have carbed.
  11. I mostly cellar bombers so I keep the full case big beer bottle boxes when I get em.
    Keeps the bottles dark and protected also.
  12. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

in cardboard 6 pack holders. In warm, ambient room temperature during priming. In my fridge after priming. Before the 6 pack holders begin to get too ratty, I replace them to avoid losing an entire 6-pack to the bottles falling through the bottom.
  13. dfess1

dfess1 Initiate (0) Pennsylvania May 20, 2003

14. Any free and reasonably clean surface in my basement.
  15. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

I purchased 10 cases of returnable (Busch Light, Old Milwaukee...) bottles from my local store when I started brewing. I gave some away when I switched to kegs, but I still have four of those boxes (they are very strong boxes). For bombers, I have two twelve packs that they came in as well as one from a Darkness day a few years back, and a milk crate). Most of my cellar is commercial beers at this point, but I bottle most of my big stuff and specialty stuff. This all sits on a rack in my cellar, in the boxes.
  16. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Generalltly I grab bomber cases when I see them at the packie. I reuse the commercial ones, so those boxes work perfectly well. Use them for storing empties and full ones.