1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bottled date should be mandatory

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GetMeAnIPA, Feb 9, 2013.

1. The Bottled date should be mandatory. With so many ipas being consumed freshness is critical. The only reason why breweries don't have the bottled date is they don't want to loose sales because the beer is old. However, in the long run it hurts the breweries because if you drink an old beer and it sucks but don't know its old you'll never buy it again.

When the breweries have a bottled date I rate that beer and brewery higher. The bottle date tells me the brewery cares, and makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

2. badbeer

badbeer Savant (470) Iowa Jun 19, 2005

It also tells you they can afford to date the bottles. Not all breweries that can afford to, wish to; and not all breweries that wish to, can afford to.

3. TheBeerTruck

TheBeerTruck Savant (300) Michigan Feb 29, 2012

I feel foolish. I honestly thought there may have been other reasons. But as you point out, there's only one reason. Finally! I don't have to lose sleep anymore wondering why. Thank you.

robwestcott and Bung like this.
  4. Better yet we the consumers shall decide by only drinking Ipa's with a bottle date ;), otherwise the beer will go the way of schilitzes hahah :).

jrnyc and SirDrinxAlot like this.
  5. Agree with above. I don't buy beer below 8 or 9% unless it's bottle dated. And over the years I've seen more and more breweries bottle dating. Hopefully it's because they want to supply the consumer with beer as it was meant to taste and that they recognize consumers are much more wary of freshness nowadays.

dhannes likes this.
  6. Jim Koch* disagrees:

This currently popular belief that only IPA's are best fresh always puzzles me. It is not only the hop profile of a beer that fades with age, lower hopped beers will go stale just as quickly. And it is just as important to be able to appreciate the hopping in a pale ale or a pilsner, and other aspects of other "non-cellarable" beer styles when the beer is still fresh and at its best.

* Yeah, not the first time I've quoted it,
    but it never gets old (unlike the topic itself :eek: ).

Kyrojack, sholle, chuckstout and 21 others like this.
  8. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

There is no reason bottle dating should be mandatory. I would go as far to say it is ridiculous to suggest adding more regulations is a good idea.

Consumers do an absolutely awful job at giving breweries an incentive to do things such as bottle dating. They are still moving their product, why should they change anything? If you want to see a change contact breweries directly and stop buying undated products. Complaining on a internet forum is not going to change anything, action is your only hope.

Let's also be honest with ourselves. We, as BAs, do not speak for the entire customer base. We like to think we do but we need to accept we are simply a vocal minority. Many non-BA customers do not care about bottle dating. Don't go into the whole "they don't know any better" argument either, obviously they are content with their decisions and we should respect that.

beerindex, mattfitz, ceazaleo and 5 others like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

This looks like a job for an internet petition.

10. Wow. I mean, I'd like for there to be "bottled on dates" on my beer. But to take it to the level that they shouldn't have to be on the bottles because us BA's complaining on the internet about it doesn't matter and BA's not speaking for the entire customer base is a little over the top, no?

Basically saying they shouldnt have to bottle it because we dont do enough to show them we want it? It would be nice to have them on the bottle but it doesn't mean that much to me. I'm not going to go as far as contact all the breweries directly and demand it.

It makes sense why they dont do it. Why change something that works fine. But I think there is plenty a good reason why it should be mandatory.

11. MikeWard

MikeWard Savant (455) Pennsylvania Sep 14, 2011

I see this too (more breweries bottle dating) hopefully the next step will be not printing dates in black on a brown bottle to help me look a bit less of a geek (and only a bit less) in the aisles, squinting closely at a bottle.

12. I had 2 purchases this week that were very disappointing and it will be the last time I buy an IPA from either one of those breweries. I will be letting them both know this, will they care I don't know.

dhannes and jrnyc like this.
  13. kzoobrew

Mandatory means regulations, regulations mean government intervention and additional government intervention does not benefit anyone.

I never said nor did I come close to implying that they shouldn't date bottles because BA's are complaining. What I am saying is that few BAs want to do anything but complain and they will not take the steps that would provide the breweries incentive to make the changes we'd like to see.

beerindex, Kyrojack, mylar and 4 others like this.
  14. No, no, no not mandatory like a regulation or requirement. I was just saying that as a figure of speech. I love bottled dates and just wish all breweries did, that is all.

Lantern likes this.
  15. mwar

mwar Savant (340) Kentucky Jun 15, 2012

As a consumer, I wish all beer had a date. As stated above, it would enhance sales of the companies that adopt the policy. If I try an outdated beer and it tastes bad I will never purchase it again.

powpig2002 likes this.
  16. I think I took your whole post wrong.

To me it seemed like you were against the idea and saying that BA's, or just people that enjoy beer in general, dont/wont do enough to actually try to get this done. But instead just bitch on the internet about it so why should they date them. The whole "lets all get together and complain about there not being bottle on dates"has been done to death.

I just think that there are many benefits to them being on the bottle. I know there is reason enough not too, but I also know there are a lot of brewerys out there (all of them I would hope) that would much more prefer the customer get the best version of the product they put out and not the old version thats been sitting and collecting dust.

Bottled on dates would not only help with keeping the older stuff of the shelves (being easier to notice out dated beers, surely some customers would bring it to the sellers attention and hopefully send it back) and also would prevent people who have never tried the beer from having a bad first experience and possibly losing those customers forever.

There's plenty of good reason to, I just wish more breweries would use that logic over the "its sells anyway so why bother" logic.

17. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (675) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

Jim Koch also claims to brew CRAFT beer...therefore he is not my source of info for anything within the industry.

18. I think you are still taking it wrong. I am not bitching. I was just drinking a beer with a two week old bottled date and thought man with craft beer industry where it is these days breweries should have the bottled date.

I just started getting active in BA with reading posts and commenting within the past few weeks, so I wasn't aware that this was an old played out topic. I simply created the thread to see what other people's opinions are.

19. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

I wish all beers had a bottling date and ingredients list.

20. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Does anyone else see the irony in IPA bottle dating?

willbm3 likes this.
  21. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (330) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

The comment above about 8%abv and above is insightful, beers above that are preserved by that alcohol level. The flavor most likely will change over time, and often becoming more interesting rather than stale. I add my voice to bottling dates on craft beers, hopefully without a law being passed, but I would like to know that number on each bottle. I need to know that date on my IPA's below 8%, so whatever the brewery can do for any beer style would be appreciated. I do record those dates in my personal taste notes when known, although I am not as willing to use that data as some on this forum to make any observation about its significance. Thanks to those that date the bottles already, your efforts are appreciated.

22. mooseo

mooseo Savant (310) Pennsylvania Aug 11, 2008

I never used to care about bottling dates, until I started getting 1-2 year old bottles of IPA that tasted nothing like the brewery description or tasting reviews I read. Now if there's no date, I don't buy it. Simple as that.

powpig2002 and mwar like this.
  23. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

Best thing you can do to protest is to quit buying beer that doesn't have it. If enough people do this, things might change.

dhannes, smutty33, mwar and 1 other person like this.
  24. badbeer

badbeer Savant (470) Iowa Jun 19, 2005

To be clear, in no way did I suggest only IPA's are best fresh.

Jim Koch's solution is a great one, if you only care about what month something was bottled (pretty big window if you ask me) and if you're using the same type of packaging as them. If you're running cold glue labels and they come in stacks, yup, easy to saw a notch in them. If you're running pressure sensitive labels, silk-screening bottles, or running a canning line, his plan doesn't work.

25. Lol how am I in the wrong? I wasn't attacking you or anyone.....I was just explaining why I think the idea has merit. I'm also saying tons of threads have been posted in the past about this subject. I didnt say YOU were bitching....I just said that I understand why he said that BA's can complain all they want but nothing will change unless they take action.....

Anyway I agree with the idea. I'd love for "bottled on dates". I also hate those weird dates that I gotta use websites to try to configure or best by dates that make me gotta guess when it was bottled. But I guess thats better than no dates at all.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  26. JimKal

JimKal Savant (325) North Carolina Jul 31, 2011

So is it time to get rid of those laws and regulations regarding clean air and clean water, speed limits in cities, those crazy laws forbidding armed robbery. I'm not sure how I feel about a regulation on something this minor but your statement seems to be over the top, what I like to call the Somali solution - the free for all state.

joeseppy, dhannes and kcp85 like this.
  27. He does brew craft beer...... Just because they are the biggest does not mean they are part of the problem, they are the solution! But anyway if it were not for breweries like Boston Beer Company, New Belgium and Sierra Nevada that are so avaliable everywhere people would not venture out to better beer and discover this whole little world we have made for ourselves!

28. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (185) New York Dec 25, 2008

Not to mention that pretty much every other food product must carry an expiration date. I think consumers have a right to know when their food/drinks were made and the ingredients in them.

JimKal likes this.
  29. Mandatory no but recommended yes. I never buy a beer without determining a date, unless i take a chance on a high ABV brew. Can't tell, don't buy says the Fresh Beer guy ;)

30. kzoobrew

My statement is not over the top, you neglected to read the word additional which was placed before government intervention. I said nothing about removing all laws and regulations, I was speaking about one topic and saying additional regulations are not going to benefit anyone.

Beer is not a food product however and doesn't expire. The only harm an old beer can cause is an unenjoyable experience, it is not going to make you sick like spoiled food would. I'm all for additional information but when we're talking about beer it is nice to have it but its really not necessary.

beerindex and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  31. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (890) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

And alcohol content.

dmeadows and semibaked like this.
  32. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Selling beers past the sell by date is illegal, so your argument is invalid.

33. I think that you should prioritize getting what you pay for. If you want a Pint you should get a Pint, not 2 or 3 oz short.

34. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) Pennsylvania Dec 27, 2009

Is it?

In any case, put me down with those who think it would be nice if all breweries bottled dated, but it certainly shouldn't be required. It's impossible to get burned by buying old product if you only buy dated bottles. So let's assume, being a champion of fresh beer, you only buy dated products. Every beer you buy is fresh. What are you missing out on? Trying new beer that your own choices prevent you from buying in the first place, when the only risk of doing otherwise is that it might not taste great. That's hardly a case for consumer protection. If anything, I would suggest something like membership to the Brewers Association being contingent on bottle-dating.

35. kzoobrew

No it isn't. It may be a bad practice but there is nothing illegal about it.

36. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

I dont know. I read a thread about it on this site the other day. Punishable by law. They waterboard you with the old beer, which usually ends up being Rogue products.

37. I have a proposal for bottle dating that could take away one objection brewers have to the practice.

I would accept a less than readily apparent dating code like some brewers currently use. Brewers and liquor store owners sometimes object to a clear date code because the great masses would see it and not purchase a beer that's too old that they would have been able to sell otherwise.

Serious beer drinkers would undertake the effort to decode the date while the great majority of consumers would not. Beer advocates happy, brewers and store owners happy.

38. Like any good food product I want all the information available to decide for myself. Surely if I ever buy a beer out of date and it tastes bad I'll think twice about buying from that store again. Considering the high cost for a quality beer I think it's only right for customers to demand a freshness date.

39. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that the beer inside the bottle had something to do with the process of taking a saw to a box of labels.

musicman7070 likes this.
  40. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

Just don't spend your money on hoppy beers or other styles that are meant to be drank fresh if there is no bottle date. It has been years since I have bought an IPA or any other such style without a bottling date. If a brewer can't be bothered to bottle date, they aren't worth giving my money to.