1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bottled date should be mandatory

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GetMeAnIPA, Feb 9, 2013.

1. I would have to disagree, beer is a food product and it DOES expire. And yes, you can get sick from really bad beer.

2. I think for a lot of products it is just a huge scam. I mean how many people if they find say a package of microwave popcorn or some hot chocolate mix in the back of their cupboard that is a month or two past the best before date and throw it out without trying it (and go buy more)? That is of course more money for the companies who make those products. And if they can set the date to whatever they want with no legal requirements it is perfect.

3. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Hold on officer, its right here in my glovebox

4. I don't think its an outrageous question. I've never heard of it being illegal, so I thought id ask to see where you can prove it.

5. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Care to provide any sort of information to back up the statement? What is going to develop in the beer which will cause you to get sick?

It certainly would not be any sort of bacterial sickness, beer cannot support the type of bacteria that will get you sick.

6. Yea there is a bit of a flaw in the logic there. If it were illegal to sell beer past its best before date, then every beer would have a best before date. Right now you have some beers with nothing, some with a best before and some with a bottled on date. Plus who would decide what the date was? Would food inspectors and regulators know the difference between an IPA and say an imperial stout?

7. Enjoyability is an opinion not a fact (plenty of people "enjoy" crappy beer). And name an example of an old beer making someone sick. Overindulgence will make you sick, properly packaged old beer will not.

No need for government regulation here - thats a waste of my and everyone elses tax dollars. The onus is on the brewery to date their products if it means better sales for them and on the distributor to make sure the shelves are stocked correctly.

Let the individual breweries "protect" themselves here, there is no harm to the public.

kzoobrew likes this.
  8. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

When we generally talk about food spoilage it's due to the onset of bacterial or fungal activity, whether it be milk souring and curdling, vegetables rotting, or bread growing mold. Non-dried, non-perishables such as canned goods have been processed in such a way that it's near impossible for microbial activity to occur, and that's why they're so stable. Every professional brewer out there operates on the exact same premise.

Of course, some foods can go bad without being dangerous in any way. Stale bread or freezer-burnt meat might not be as pleasant to eat, but it won't make you sick. Beer is the same.

If you drank old beer then got sick, I'd suspect something caused it.

9. Exactly, the only way you can really get sick is from drinking too many beers. Which is why I am surprised that %ABV is not a label requirement in the US.

10. if old beer got you sick, why would we age a lot of it? :confused:

xanok likes this.
  11. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

There actually is an inudstry definition of what constitutes a craft brewery, and Boston Beer Co. fits it. Capitalizing the word "craft" doesn't change that fact.

12. I agree! They should date all cans as well!

13. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

So it should be mandatory to date your bottles so that the consumer can see if the beer is expired because expired beer is gross?

What about the wide array of beer that's gross to begin with? By this line of thinking, it should be illegal to brew gross beer.

davey101, Brunite and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  14. I give my hard earned money to the breweries (by purchasing beer) with a best by date or a born on date. I'm not paying all this money on a case for it to be stale or for the freshness to be in question. No regulations need to be made, no rules, especially no gov't involvement, nothing. The market and the beer community will "vote" with their dollars from purchasing fresh beer. Once this becomes a trend, other breweries will follow.

Brunite likes this.
  15. I'm the first to admit, I don't give a shit about dates. I never check them.

Just take a breath, relax, close your eyes and repeat after me:

"It's just beer"

16. davey101

If breweries just used the finest water and the finest quality malts this wouldn't be an issue. However these fascist American breweries are using an overabundance of ingredients to further dilute the purity of their beers. The reinheitsgebot knew what was up. /hamburgered

yamar68 likes this.
  17. davey101

You clearly missed this thread. I was being sarcastic sir.

18. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

//would you like fries with that?

Brunite and davey101 like this.
  19. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

This is already being done. Perhaps the fancy script made it tougher to decipher:

[​IMG]

HipsterBrewfus and yamar68 like this.
  20. davey101

Beechwood in my beer? No thank you!

21. Yeah, "It's just beer..." that's costing me $30-50 a case - so I want to know I'm buying it when it's at its best.

22. Phew, because Im almost done with page 2 and I was about to respond that I still don't see it.

next time, use the sarcasm font.

23. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

No, it shouldn't be mandatory. Just stop buying that brewery's beer and send an email to them on why you didn't buy it. I stopped buying Green Flash until recently. Bear Republic's is too difficult to find and read, so I still avoid them as well.

24. i don't like the idea of making things like this madatory. Regulation usually hurts the small guy. Craft beer is the small guy. If you want to guarantee freshness by it by the growler. If you say, "i can't do this for the breweries i want to drink fresh" then go try something local and get a growler from them. If freshness was that important to you then you'd rather drink brewery fresh growler than the 5 week old bottle in your distro. Simple personal choices on the margin. No need to propose new regulation to this budding industry/community.

25. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Open window, take dollar bills, toss them out window, repeat after me, "It's just money"

26. I think you;re being a little over dramatic

27. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I honestly don't believe my scenario any more foolish,nor less, than yours. I don't buy without checking freshness, you don't chuck money out the window, just beer, just money.

28. KansasBeerLover

KansasBeerLover Savant (325) Kansas Feb 16, 2009

Don't forget, they made the born on date popular!

As for going to the liquor store looking for a date, I haven't tried it. Maybe I should, since I'm now single.