Dismiss Notice
Sneak peek! BeerAdvocate magazine #104 (September 2015) featuring Leah & Oscar from Highland Brewing in Asheville, North Carolina. Learn more ...

Bottled Washington Imperial/Double IPAs

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by leedorham, Jan 25, 2013.

1. leedorham

leedorham Champion (845) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Some fool posted that Humulo Nimbus was his favorite Washington beer and I was all like "pshhhah" and started looking at Washington IIPA's available in bottles. Well, it doesn't seem like there's that many.

Help me out here:
    Sound Humulo Nimbus
    Old Schoolhouse Ruud Awakening
    Pike Doubble Troubble
    Fish Hogsdon's
    Boundary Bay Imperial
    No-Li Jet Star

ummmm..... what am I missing here? Also, Fremont, Elysian, Red hook? Y'all have bottling lines (and canning lines) don't ya?

2. bgramer

bgramer Savant (345) Washington Feb 10, 2006

Hales' Ales has SuperGoose. Fremont plans to can The Brother but I'm not sure if it's a limited bottling or year-round.

3. suncrust

suncrust Savant (330) Washington Apr 17, 2011 Verified

Wisdom Seeker, albeit limited.

4. leedorham

Oh yeah. Forgot Supergoose. It's showing retired now though. Is it really retired?

5. distantmantra

distantmantra Advocate (685) Washington May 23, 2011 Verified

Supergoose has never been retired, I don't get why it's listed that way on BA.

Hales Aftermath
    Maritime Pacific Imperial Pale Ale
    Old Schoolhouse Imperial IPA

Reuben's Brews is going to bottle this year, but they haven't said what beers will be part of that.

6. leedorham

Whoops, listed Ruud Awakening as the imperial. That's just their single. I'll report a change on supergoose.

7. distantmantra

Big Time is going to bottle Whiny the Complainer this year, too.

leedorham likes this.
  8. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Advocate (600) Washington Mar 9, 2008 Verified

Airways SkyHag

9. BuckeyeOne

I thought you remembered Silver City Whoop Pass when you started. Ha, ha.

10. leedorham

First I've ever heard of that brewery. They just self distributing?

11. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Advocate (525) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

No, it's still in production. I can't speak for the bottle freshness because they don't date them (other than occasionally stamping the outer case), but we get fresh casks from them frequently for our beer engine.

12. BuckeyeOne

They're out of Kent. I don't know how they distribute. Dan might be their man for all I know?

13. Damn I love Hale's Aftermath.

14. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

Doesn't icicle bottle something?

15. jnoble

jnoble Aficionado (195) Washington Feb 23, 2012 Verified

I was going to ask the same and I also believe Diamond Knot bottles a IIPA.

Edit: Industrial IPA from Diamond Knot is what I was thinking of.

16. BuckeyeOne

Recently found out the Bootjack IPA is being bottled. It is a single IPA.

17. leedorham

Whatever they may bottle, it isn't an IIPA.

18. Off the top of my head from the less popular places

Diamond Knot Industrial IPA
    Red Hook Big Ballard IPA
    Pyramid Outburst Imperial IPA
    Scuttlebutt Hoptopia

19. leedorham

Adding Snoqualmie Powerhouse.

20. BuckeyeOne

Dan, see above. Are you distributing Airways?

21. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Im pretty damn sure Alex/Airways is still self distro.

22. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (275) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Seven Seas Ballz Deep in cans, if cans count.

KiMiRaiK likes this.
  23. mdaschaf

mdaschaf Champion (775) Washington Mar 28, 2010 Verified Subscriber

A few that I don't think were mentioned:

7 Seas Ballz Deep
    Dicks Bottleworks IPA
    Dicks Imperial IPA
    Iron Horse Cinco De Drinco (brewed once)
    Ice Harbor Hop Warrior
    Harmon Rajahs Royal
    Puyallup Lahar

24. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,355) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I'm not sure where it falls on the scale of IPA/ImpIPA but, Skagit's The Gospel is pretty damn tasty IMHO.

25. Mages64

airways self-distributes currently. does anyone else like sky hag?

26. BuckeyeOne

Are these all bottled?

27. mdaschaf

mdaschaf Champion (775) Washington Mar 28, 2010 Verified Subscriber

According to their individual pages on BA, at some point, yes. I couldn't say if they are all currently bottled though.

28. distantmantra

I've had bottles of Hop Warrior, Rajahs Royal, Lahar, Cinco de Drinco and Dicks Imperial, so yes.

Also, Ballz Deep comes in cans.

29. Mages64

This thread made me realize that another reason WA doesn't get the credit they are due is that so few of the super popular styles are not in bottles. Of all those beers we've mentioned, few stand up to the famed beers from around the country IN BOTTLES. On draft I'd say we keep up with the best of them but yeah... We dont have a ton of good WA DIPAs, imp stouts, barleywines, sours, or barrel aged beers in bottles huh.

checktherhyme likes this.
  30. That was my thought. We have hundreds of breweries, but how many of them actually bottle or only bottle a small portion of their lineup? Elysian alone has so many beers that will never make it to the bottling line (I think they had 7 or 8 pumpkin beers alone at the festival and will have another large selection at the Belgian fest). I wish I could get Hubris in a bottle.

31. BuckeyeOne

True dat.

32. distantmantra

Two Beers bottled their Anniversary DIPA late last year.

33. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,110) Washington Sep 18, 2010 Verified

I hadn't really thought about this until I read this, but I think you're on to something. Washington has more breweries than any other state save California, but I've heard so many comments to the effect that a lot of people in the rest of the country have absolutely no idea about the beers made here. We have no equivalent to a Founders, Firestone Walker, Deschutes, Ommegang, Stone, Boulevard... the only conclusion I can draw (as I drain the last few sips of my KDS) is that for whatever reason, Washington brewers brew almost exclusively for the local market.

I personally have no problem with this. To make a gross generalization, it follows more of a German or English model rather than Belgian. Or domestically, Wisconsin rather than California. Our breweries may never get the respect they truly deserve. But on the other hand, I kind of like having yet another "best kept secret" up here in the hinterlands.

34. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

I was talking to someone with Fremont (Casey I think) at a tasting event. They were talking about "widening" vs "deepening". "Widening" is where you take your product and distribute it as far as realistically possible, so that a large range of people get to sample little bits of it. From what I've heard in other threads, this is something a brewery like Firestone Walker might do (where they distribute their cool barrel aged beers to a lot of places, but California doesn't necessarily get all that they want).

Fremont tries to "deepen" their distributing footprint, so that they don't get it as far out as some breweries, but their local market is saturated. Honestly, if there is enough demand for their product in their home state, there's no real need to send it out. Keep your local market satisfied before widening distribution (see Russian River). Correct me if I'm wrong, but going back to pre-prohibiton, there wasn't yet a good way to distribute product across the country, and this is why there were so many breweries all over the U.S., every town had a local brewery, designed for it's own small market.

Scuttlebutt Hoptopia
    Port Townsend Hop-Diggity
    Ice Harbor Hop Warrior

Big Al Big Hoppa

35. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (870) Washington May 12, 2005

Classic examples of this: New Glarus, Surly
    Opposite: Goose Island

36. WhiteJordan

WhiteJordan Aficionado (225) Washington Sep 6, 2012 Verified

I know it's not an imperial, but is anyone else popping a beer boner for canned Rude Parrot? Hah

37. distantmantra

I had Rude Parrot at Beveridge a couple years ago and loved it. Great to see it cans now.

38. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

Only other one i can think of off the top of my head, not already listed, is Boundary bays IIPA

39. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,355) Washington Sep 24, 2007

The BB ImpIPA is on tap at the brewery various times throughout the year. However, coming up in February is Washington Brewers Open House,and on that day, the ImpIPA will be available in 22s. Brewery only, bottle limit (last year was 4, but they hung around longer than the brewery thought they would, so I think the limit will be 6, or maybe 8, this year). It's a good excuse to visit Bellingham and check out all 3 of our breweries.

40. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

Any solid dates yet?