1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bottleworks 13th Anniversary/Stone Brew???

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by t4h2c0, Mar 6, 2012.

1. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

BTW-any idea if Bottleworks has any left in stock?
  2. That's the word I'm hearing.
  3. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Yeah, I've heard it's going to be Cascade for over a year now. But let's keep this between you and me ;)
    Smurf2055 and bifrost17 like this.
  4. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

Yes indeed. Start lining up your mules lol.
    csano likes this.
  5. csano

Yeah, seems I'm a little bit behind. ;)
  6. yes confirmed. Matt bonney said he has been traveling down to portland to work on the blend. The blend got put in barrels last year and is a blend of different barrels. The blending process is still going on so it is not totally finished yet. They are tasting it as it goes to see what they what want to add as the beer develops. It should be another great sour from Ron, the sour beer mad scientist.

Next time i see Bonney i will ask what is in the works for BW 15, 16, and beyond...
  7. kevwcamp

kevwcamp Savant (310) Washington May 13, 2010

There were at least 6 cases of it next to the front counter yesterday, and it was still on tap.
    csano likes this.
  8. teddyarrowhead

teddyarrowhead Savant (330) Oregon Oct 23, 2009

So they are coming to Portland?

Regardless, any chance someone in Seattle can snag me a few and I'll pick them up when I'm in town for Radiohead on 4/9? I don't want to risk BW running out by then.
  9. csano

Had a friend just tell me that he heard Vinnie at RR is doing BW XV.
  10. That would be badass and I hope it is true but I am somewhat skeptical considering RR already did BW 9th...
  11. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

FWIW - I stopped by Bottleworks on my way home from the Cast Festival and picked up a few more BW13's (Saturday, March 31 4:30) in case anyone is still interested. It is still there in abundance!
    I will also be bringing a few with me to Portland tomorrow. (hint)
  12. podunkparte

Opened a bottle last night and it's pretty delicious. I liked it better from the bottle than on tap. I got a lot more roastiness and fruitiness from it. Looking forward to seeing what it turns into over the years.
  13. Wow seems this beer is getting sold at other stores.

Just saw it at Wholefoods as well as Central Market - Shoreline, and Chucks.
  14. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Yep, I just saw it @ Whole Foods Westlake too.
  15. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

They sent 75 cases to Oregon as well. I was expecting it to arrive today, but it wasn't on the truck, but I assume it'll pop up at all the usual spots in the next few days.
  16. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

This was apparently distributed to 11 states...
  17. csano

Yes, something like that. Stone issued a press release recently announcing this.
  18. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Even saw a few bottles of it up here in the wilderness.

19. Got to love the interwebs.. and all the factual info people post :)

According to Stones site "Distribution: AZ, CA, CO, FL, IL, MA, NC, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, TX, VA, VT, WA" which is 17 states. If 75 cases made it to OR, and ONLY 1 case made it to each of the other 15 stated, then by my calculation, WA only kept 17 cases themselves......
    I saw at least 4 cases in 3 stores. (and a BOAT LOAD at Bottleworks on release day)

I assume more than 1 case went to each state, and I also assume WA kept more that 17 cases. So where the hell do people get these numbers from ?
  20. draheim

I'm pretty sure there were a lot more than 17 cases on the Bottleworks floor at the release, never mind all the bottles showing up elsewhere (including the wilderness up north).
    How many cases total were produced? Didn't see that info on the link.
    Always love the pairing suggestions too. Where do they come up w/ this stuff?
    Suggested Pairings, provided by “Dr.” Bill Sysak
    Appetizers: Maple-glazed pecans, twice-baked potatoes or stuffed mushrooms with Gorgonzola and bacon, satay skewers with peanut sauce
    Entrées: Grilled pork chops, Korean short ribs, lamb shoulder, French onion soup, chili
    Desserts: Pecan pie, peanut brittle, toffee bars, apple fritters
    Cheeses: Aged Gouda, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Shropshire Blue
    Cigars: Partagas Serie D No. 4, Litto Gomez Diez Lusitano, Gurkha Cellar Reserve
  21. Jconrick1 posted the 107 cases made

Anyway Yeah I agree with the pairing suggestions... ha ha
  22. draheim

Oops, didn't read up high enough. Agree, that math doesn't add up.
  23. Roosevelt Whole Foods got it in.
  24. I didn't see it anywhere, which is why I asked, and that's what they told me at the counter when I asked as I bought my bottles on release day at Bottleworks. I can't verify that with a link or anything to prove it happened, but that's what I was told at the release, and that's why I posted it.

Was I was given bad information? Guess so, but I don't have any insight beyond what they told me there. It doesn't surprise me if it's Stone that it's being distributed outside of Bottleworks, but I haven't seen it either. Crazy that it seems to be everywhere in Seattle now. Has anyone seen it outside of Seattle?

Cheers!
    Jeff
  25. Also, has anyone else tried a bottle recently? I've read a bad review or two and it's gotten me a bit worried. I really did like it when I tried it on release day, but there was something a little off (kind of plastic-y aftertaste, but I was hoping it would fade or I was being over sensitive as I am to phenolic in beer).

Anyway, I haven't opened a bottle since right after the release because I though it was hot and could take a little age, I'm just hoping this isn't turning a bad corner. Anyone else have any experience with recent tastings or thoughts on this one?

Cheers!
    Jeff
  26. draheim

Maybe the store got 107 cases? I would believe that.

As to recent tastings, I had a glass @ the release and enjoyed it, but haven't opened any of my 6 bottles yet. I plan to have one soon for my official review. I'm watching others' reviews carefully as this was a really interesting beer with a ton going on, and I can easily see it turning into a "love/hate" beer. Curious what age will do w/ it too, I'll hold onto at least a couple for a 2-3 years. At $7/bottle it's not like you're going to lose a ton if it turns out it sucks.
    NWer likes this.
  27. Yeah, I suppose that is very possible, but to clarify I did ask "how many cases were made" and they told me 107, but I could see them quoting me the number they got, so who knows? Maybe I'll ask Bonney next time I see him, do you think he'd share? :)

Totally agree on the price point, and I really thought when I tasted it on release day that it had huge amounts of potential and that with a bit of age it could be outstanding. I think you're right about the love/hate thing as well, this is one of those types of beer. I'll be popping a bottle soon, but in the meantime I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts when they try one.

Cheers!
    Jeff
  28. youradhere

youradhere Savant (460) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

I thought it was a pretty good beer- not mind blowing, but very plesant. I couldn't help thinking that I was tasting chocolate mint while drinking it, like a Girl Scout Thin Mint cookie. Odd, yet pleasing.
  29. podunkparte

Drank one the other day. Still tasting great to me. Lots of roastiness and hops. That touch of sweetness in there too to remind you to put a few down for a year or two. No complaints from me other than the lack of tradeability now.
    NWer likes this.
  30. Does no one drinking it taste the Acetone, burnt vinyl on the finish? I love the first 95% of the taste I get from this beer, but the last 5% of EVERY sip has that flavor. I tasted it at the release, and I tasted it when I cracked a bottle a couple weeks ago. My family tasted it too. Does no one else taste it? "I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!"
    Smurf2055 likes this.
  31. Thats what you get when you make a graveyard of malts and hops. ampm anyone?
  32. draheim

Check out ArrogantB's review: "Smells a little odd, like plastic and malts. The taste was downright awful, burnt rubber, tires, gas station, malts and a hint of pine."

I had one last night, the blend of flavors wasn't quite as powerful as on tap @ the release. There is a burnt, solventy kind of thing going on there, maybe like the smell of a 12" Ramones LP melting on the dash of a '77 Ford Granada—but for some reason I don't find it all that objectionable.
    guajolote likes this.