1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bottleworks employee issues again (same employee)

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by julian, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julian

julian Savant (340) Washington May 31, 2008

This is not the first time I've posted about my issues with a certain Bottleworks employee (Trevor, yup I'm calling you out bro). Every other employee who works there has always been kind, respectful, honest and very helpful and friendly to me. Some even recognize me since I shop there frequently, or recognize me from homebrew club meetings - cool. Good guys. Not the case with Trevor. Here's what happened this time.

Yesterday, I saw Bottleworks twitter about having Arctic Devil in stock. I couldn't check my phone until an hour later (work obligations) but when I did I saw the twitter. I was at work and couldn't leave for at least another hour. I called my gf to see if she could head over there immediately. She got on the bus and headed over immediately (from u-district). I called Bottleworks just to make sure they still had some...and it was Trevor that answered (recognized his voice). Not sure if he recognized my voice (doubtful, but possible). I asked him if they still had any Arctic Devil in stock. His answer was "No, all sold out". I asked if they would be getting anymore in anytime soon and the answer was "No idea, we don't know until it arrives" or something along those lines. I said "Thanks" and hung up. I texted my gf back and said they didn't have any anymore. We were both bummed. Not 1 minute later, my buddy (whom some of you may know) texted me to say they STILL had Arctic Devil. He had already bought his bottles, but said they still had some as of this VERY MOMENT. This was right after Trevor told me they were all sold out.

WTF?

While talking to my buddy, my gf was on the bus and asked if she should stop in anyway to check. I couldn't respond in time, so she stayed on the bus heading home. When I did text her, she got home, jumped in the car and headed to Fremont to pick me up and head to Bottleworks. Needless to say we were both pissed at this inconvenience.

When we got there, I saw 2 bottles of Arctic Devil on the counter with a bunch of cases stacked in the back behind the counter. I saw Trevor and asked him if they were for sale. He said "yes" but also looked at both of us with what I can only describe as dejected contempt, paused, and added "2 bottle limit per person"...which is fine, I get bottle limits - but the last issue we had with him was "x bottle per household" because he didn't want to sell bottles to my gf because I can only assume he thought girls don't buy beer and she was buying them for me, which isn't and wasn't the case. I'm not even sure the "household" policy was Bottleworks' business policy or just his off the cuff "fuck you" to me. Anyway, his comment added to the frustration and fact he had already FLAT OUT LIED to me but I said "ok cool, I'm a person and she's a person. 2 bottles each please". If it's a 2 bottle limit PER PERSON then that should be OK right? Well apparently with Trevor, it's required to look disappointed and mutter stuff under your breath while attempting to do YOUR JOB! While he was ringing us up, I then confronted him and this is what ensued:

Me: "So I called less than an hour ago and asked if there was any left and I believe it was you I spoke with. You told me it was all sold out. My friend who was HERE at the time told me otherwise so you flat out lied to me on the phone. Why?"

Trevor's response: "I don't know"

Me: "You don't know what? Why you lied? I'm a paying customer asking if you have something I want that you advertised online. If I'm calling to see if you have it it's because I want to GIVE YOU MY MONEY. Why would you turn a paying customer away and lie to me?"

Trevor: "I don't know"

Me: "You don't know??? WHAT DON'T YOU KNOW?"

Trevor: *blink*

Me: "not cool"

We each paid and then went to the back bar to get a drink.

The other guy that was working there was friendly and cool. I asked him if it was him I spoke with earlier, and he said "No, I haven't been at the cash/phone for awhile" or something along those lines. So I confirmed it was Trevor since there was no one else there at the time.

------------

I'm a pretty regular beer buyer for everyday stuff, seasonal and limited stuff. I frequent Bottleworks often enough that I meet people there that I know, and recognize the staff, and the staff sometimes recognize me. I LOVE Brouwer's and go there frequently enough too. I recommend it to friends local and who are visiting. Anyone coming into town whether they're beer lovers or not, I take them to Brouwers, and Bottleworks if they're looking for bottles. I spend a lot of money at both places every month. I'm active in the Seattle beer community and take part in tastings and festivals (sometimes volunteering) and am active in the home brewing community here. I have NO IDEA why Trevor treats me this way, or if he treats everyone this way. I have done absolutely NOTHING to warrant this kind of treatment. And given the fact I'm not sure he knew who I was on the phone, I can only surmise that he:

1. hates his job and doesn't give a shit about doing it properly

2. maybe he likes his job, but is just flat out incompetent.

3. somehow knows when I call (recognizes my voice?) and lies to me for unknown reasons, and treats me like a less than worthy customer when in the store.

Honestly, I have no idea, but if I were his EMPLOYER reading this, I'd have to have a serious talk with him to evaluate his job status. As a representative of the business, LYING to customers should be a definite faux pas. And like I said, this isn't the first time I've had an issue with him.

Alright, that's it.

Trevor, I don't know what your deal is but I've done nothing to you and am embarrassed for you and disappointed in your lack of professionalism. At this point you've done nothing that can change my mind about you.

Managers/owners of Bottleworks, I hope you are reading this and that Trevor undergoes some kind of business conduct evaluation because from a loyal and paying/frequent customer, I find his attitude, behavior and professionalism (or lack thereof) appalling.

Thanks,
    Julian

2. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I'm not sure which employee Trevor is, but I haven't had any experiences like this with any of the BW employees. I remember once asking an employee about an upcoming release (forget which one) and he claimed to have no knowledge and to never have heard of the beer, which I found a little surprising - but it wasn't a beer that the store had tweeted about or mentioned anywhere on its site, so in that case there was certainly a level of plausible deniability.

Definitely sucks (and just downright weird) that you apparently aren't being treated honestly.

If you have a way to contact one of the Matts, I'd send them directly your basic account of events above. I don't think there's a "contact" option at the Bottleworks site, but I imagine there must be a manager or supervisor you could reach by phone. They should know about this, but I don't know that posting a thread here will make much of a difference (I'm recalling a similar thread about Belmont Station last year that I believe ultimately got the attention of one of the owners)...

3. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

This is pretty shocking to me. I also stop in Bottleworks pretty frequently and have never had problems with service, be it helping me find something specific, suggesting new things, or letting me know what they'll get in soon. That sort of treatment to any customer is totally unacceptable, much less a frequent one. Repeat customers are the key to a thriving business. Not to mention the beer community in general seems to be one of the more friendly ones to be a part of. Sorry to hear.

4. julian

Thanks guys. Yes, it is quite shocking and I'm still appalled. A friend of mine is good friends one of the Matts, and we've been put in contact. I've just emailed him including a link to this forum post.

5. Julian, I'm sorry to hear about your experience(s) with Bottleworks and Trevor. I for one have had nothing but good experiences with Bottleworks, Trevor and the rest of the Bottleworks crew. You mentioned that this isn't the first time that you have called him out in an open forum, I know if I were to ever call out a person/establishment like that I wouldn't have the expectation of casually strolling back in there like nothing happened.

I was in Bottleworks yesterday when the AD arrived. Trevor was kind enough to quickly put the new beers in the system, grab me a couple AD's, a bottle of Pliny from the very bottom of the delivery stack and ring me up right away because I had a work meeting coming up in Bellevue and I had to get back from my "lunch break." I really appreciate it Trevor.

-Dan

6. julian

While I know others have had good experiences (and I have every other time when it doesn't involve Trevor) I'm not sure how that's relevant to any of this. I appreciate the sentiment but throwing in your good experiences really doesn't seem meaningful right now and actually makes me feel worse since I got the exact opposite treatment from the same staff member (while the other staff member working at the exact same time was awesome and personable and made me want to stay to drink a pint on premise).

Also, what do you mean by this? :

"I know if I were to ever call out a person/establishment like that I wouldn't have the expectation of casually strolling back in there like nothing happened."

So by this logic I should think twice before returning? Huh? Seriously? You think I have a problem with calling someone out who deserves it and then returning? I've done nothing wrong. I'll walk right back in there when I damn please. This is a free country and I'm a paying customer. Just because one staff member has a wad up his ass isn't going to take away from the overall great experiences I have when going there. I'm also not going to just take his bullshit. As a future business owner myself, I would not stand for that kind of behavior or attitude and I would hope my patrons provide this kind of feedback to me and wouldn't feel scared to speak out and return to my establishment. That's the way it should be. I'm sorry you don't feel this way.

libbey likes this.
  7. It is relevant because you are coming off as though Trevor is a bad guy who is consistently unprofessional. I was simply sharing my experiences with the same employee.

What I mean by this is if you talk crap about someone in an open forum behind their back and they find out about it (the Seattle beer community isn't gigantic and I know for a FACT that Trevor has read/knows about some of the things you have wrote about him in the past) they are most likely not going to be as friendly towards you, or do you not understand that?

I'm not trying to justify what happened to you, but if you use some common sense you might understand why you may not see Trevor as the friendly employee that the rest of us do. Maybe you originally should have put in a complaint directly to his supervisor, Shawn, so you could remain anonymous. Once you post something out in the open like this it is easy to trace back to who wrote it, especially when your user handle is your first name and your avatar is your face.

8. draheim

I think what Azurescens is saying (and I don't entirely agree or disagree with him) can be summarized in this quote:
    "In a sluggish economy, never, ever fuck with another man's livelihood." - Guido, Risky Business

9. julian

I'm sure Trevor has read my complaint about him in the past, and I'm sure he's read or is reading this. If he's going to act unprofessionally towards me or any other customer for that matter, he should take responsibility for it rather than holding a grudge because some dude posted something (that is TRUE) about him online. And then if that grudge translates into how he treats me upon return to Bottleworks (not his store btw, he's just an employee) that just demonstrates an even bigger lack of professionalism and immaturity. If I read something about how I treated someone poorly, I would feel super shitty and feel the NEED to make things right, which would make me work harder and even prompt me to apologize to said customer upon their return. That's just the way I am. Unfortunately, Trevor didn't even KNOW me when he lied to me on the phone, so this basically has nothing to do with me. Even if he did know me, and still chose to lie to me, I don't see that as favorable. I don't think those are the kind of employees Bottleworks wants to keep around.

So let me be CLEAR. I have no issues AT ALL with Bottleworks or anyone else that works there. This isn't a bash on Bottleworks. My issue lies with one of their employees and as a representative of the business, that individual is failing epicly.

Anyway, I've escalated this up the ladder to Matt B. We'll see what comes of it from here...

10. draheim

One thing you might consider, given the really odd dynamic that seems to be going on here, is that your and Trevor's perceptions of the same event are dramatically different. Ever seen Rashomon? It happens. And this disparity may now have been magnified by the fact that you've called him out (at least twice) in a public forum. Unfortunately, the only way to find out for sure would be for you to confront him, or him to confront you, and discuss it directly - an awkward proposition that probably won't happen.

Again, not saying who's right and who's wrong here, as none of us were there - just saying that sometimes confronting someone directly about this kind of issue might yield different results than posting a thread about it.

11. julian

I like that quote, but you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. You're implying I (Julian) am doing something to jeopardize this man's livelihood, when in fact his actions are what spurred all of this. If his livelihood is in danger, he did it to himself. Even more reason to be friendly, and professional to someone in a sluggish economy. I do not have any sympathy for people who don't take responsibility for their actions. I have in the past, and continue to do so. It sucks, but you gotta man up.

12. julian

I have no problem confronting people about things like that, which is why I confronted him in the shop yesterday. All he could say to me was "I don't know" or stare at me as if I would somehow disappear if he concentrated hard enough. I'm open to dialogue and to speaking with him directly to figure this out, but I'm not confident they'll be much dialogue based on the few words he was able to produce yesterday.

13. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

You should really considering calling the manager or owner and talking with them directly. Venting online is silly. Don't take life (beer) so seriously. There are more terminal things to worry about than one dude's bad attitude. Take it easy man!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.