1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bottleworks Launches Cellar List

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Mages64, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

Bottleworks announced on their blog the following:
    I for one am quite excited. Instead of buying beer to store in my cellar because it'll run out fast, I'll be able to go in to the BW and just drink it there! I also know there are a few BW haters out there so this will be an interesting test to see if you can put your personal feelings behind you and advocate and enjoy good beer without the negativity :)

bgramer likes this.
  2. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I understand the spirit behind this, but it inherently presents one more hurdle for those of us with long workdays, kids, weekend commitments, etc. to join in the fun. I simply can't just go out and have a beer whenever I want, let alone dash off when I find out that some rare, coveted beer has become available. This is one reason I've amassed a respectable cellar in my garage, a lot of it from Bottleworks.

An anecdote that illustrates my situation: I managed to persuade my wife to go to Brouwer's one time since it opened (a "parents night out" a few months ago), and after waiting to find a place to sit down for 15 minutes, we gave up. We then tried going to Über, and it was standing-room only. We haven't tried to go back to either place—not that we've had many opportunities.

I'm not saying I haven't made my own choices that limit my freedom, and I have no regrets. I just wish the craft beer scene was more accessible to people who have a lot of other demands on their time. But I guess that's just the nature of the beast.

3. stx00lax

stx00lax Savant (265) Washington Dec 27, 2009

Stoked! For people like me, this makes hard to find beer more accessible. I have been a long time bottleworks customer, but I dont have the time to check-in everyday and swoop up the rarest of bottles. I have been lucky before, but this takes some of the pressure off. Cant wait

Jaap likes this.
  4. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

Well if they put these beers on the shelf, some cellar-dwellars would snag it up before you could get there anyway!

My hunch is that most of these things are going to be pretty price-prohibitive and I won't personally be that interested anyway. Who knows though. I guess its cool to have a sense as to what they've got sitting back there.

5. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

Dan,

That's pretty cool and I'm sure alot of the beers will be something I'd love to drink while there. Are they still going to occasionally put badass beers on the shelf for bringing home? I for one would love to go there and drink a BW XII for fun but it'd be cool to say, pick up a C&C La Folie to bring home too...know what I mean?

6. draheim

You guys are probably right. The beers on this list will probably be the kind of ultra walez that would be lost on my pedestrian palate anyway, if not my bank account. I'd just like to see the whole spectrum of the beer world become more inclusive and accessible, but I know that's a pipe dream.

Anyway, it will be fun to see what they have stashed in that cellar...

KiMiRaiK, bgramer, stx00lax and 2 others like this.
  7. News flash! There are rare coveted beers in WA!

4DAloveofSTOUT and bifrost17 like this.
  8. waltersrj

Are you pointing out that I like C&C La Folie or that I am a frequent purchaser of rarer BW beers and trade them?
    If this is upsetting to anyone then I think that is quite funny. I don't believe we have ever met but anyone that does personally know me also knows that I share everything I trade them for. Any of the rarer beers I've purchased at BW have been shared with friends (for the first bottle) and generally every purchase of the same bottle (for instance BA Poseidon or BA Leviathan) have been indeed traded. I doubt BW truly cares about this when I drop say $100 on a Deviation. I support their business, know the guys that work there, and I always come back because it is a great bottle shop. I like to think that I advocate well for the craft beer industry. I trade for things I've (we've) never had in order to spread the word, rate the beer, and have a good time with my Seattle peeps.

JackCrow, libbey, bgramer and 3 others like this.
  9. Mages64

Ryan shared a Blauw and Roze he got from those trades with almost 20 people at a life changing bottle share in december. I've seen pictures of some of those very same beers ryan used to trade being shared with BAs in Pennsylvania, Chicago and north Carolina. I hope no one is doubting Ryan's integrity or the trading habits of regional tasting groups!

bgramer and waltersrj like this.
  10. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I'm curious what you'd rather they do. It seems like this is the best solution for someone in your position (very limited free time, only free at specific times of day/week, etc) to be able to sample their wares. It seems like it'd be a massive upgrade to "randomly dump stuff on the shelves", at least.

Smurf2055 likes this.
  11. waltersrj

Thank you kind sir :)
    P.S. Dan, you are quite the beer gentleman yourself.

12. draheim

Well, here's an idea. Now I don't know if BW would be willing to do this, but what if they let you pay for the beer and then they'd hold it in their cellar for a reasonable amount of time—say, a few months—to arrange a time that was convenient to drink it? They could just set aside an area of their cellar for beers that were already paid for and reserved to drink on the premises. That way, I could buy a beer I really want to try and then coordinate with my wife for a mutually agreeable time when I could go back and drink it. I could arrange to go to BW with a few friends, rather than sit there drinking my whale by myself and whoever happens to be in the store. If they set up a more sophisticated system, you could even buy and reserve your beers online so you'd only have to go to the store once. I imagine a few true beer geeks could coordinate some pretty epic tastings using a system like that. Again, I don't know that they'd be willing to use their real estate to cellar purchased beers (maybe they could charge a "cellaring fee" for this convenience), but otherwise this kind of system would work incalculably better for a lot of their customers, including me.

Here's another anecdote that might show why the currently proposed system doesn't work for me. One day I was on my way from point A to point B, and Bottleworks happened to be somewhere in the middle. That's typically the only opportunity I have to take a few minutes to stop in and see what they have in the cooler. On this particular day, they had a few bottles of HotD Matt, a beer that I consider to be something of a whale. I grabbed a couple bottles, I think they were $20 or $25 each. (On another day, I walked in and they had a few Deviations in the cooler; in that case, the $85 price tag caused me to walk away empty-handed.)

Now if I'd had to sit down and drink those bottles right then and there (or one of them), chances are it wouldn't have happened. I was probably going to either pick up my daughter somewhere, or meet my wife, or take care of some errand that couldn't wait an hour so I could fully enjoy my bottle of Matt. I would have had to leave the store without it. As it happened, I was able to buy the bottles to enjoy later, at a time and place of my choosing. That's, like, the main advantage to buying beer in bottled form.

I know that there's no solution that's going to work best for everyone, but to me this just adds another complication to tasting some of these beers we hear about so much on here.

beertunes likes this.
  13. Putting bottles on layaway would be even cooler. ;)

beertunes likes this.
  14. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Super excited for this

15. Jaap

Jaap Aficionado (130) Washington Sep 21, 2012

I think this quailifies as being in the "beg for forgiveness" catagory. ;)

j/k I usually don't have much time either, but I'm still pretty damn stoked about the option on the days that I can make time for some whale hunting.

16. draheim

I'm already permanently maxed out in that department.

muchloveforhops3 likes this.
  17. bgramer

bgramer Savant (335) Washington Feb 10, 2006

For pre-purchased beers, its a nice idea, but probably overkill because I can't see them maintaining a separate list of reserved beers and having to reconcile that on a daily basis. If your schedule makes it hard to stop by BW, why not just ask someone to get whatever's available "to go" for you? I'm sure you have family/friends who can step up to help you out, right? As for onsite consumption only - it is what it is.

18. draheim

Actually I try not to impose on people any more than necessary. We're all busy. And no extended family in the area. Besides, what would they do, go buy the beer and then drink it for me? Remember, they can't take the bottle off premises.

19. bgramer

I feel compelled to defend Waltersrj for what looks like an attack on his reputation by Luis Gueuzeman. This questioning of character isn't right and he shouldn't have to defend himself for that.

Waltersrj is a stand up dude who is more than generous than many people I come into contact with on BA. He's definitely not one of these asshole "Gotta win" baseball card collector-type of douchebags seen more and more lately in the ISO:FT forum. Dude gets what beer really is about and has more karma in his penis than Luis Gueuzeman has in his entire body.

Mages64 likes this.
  20. draheim

Unintended swipe at waltersrj's manhood? The traditional phrase is "little finger"... ;)

21. bgramer

Ha ha. Unintended but even the whitest whale has a reference to manhood in its name. :)

draheim likes this.
  22. waltersrj

I named my penis "the Whitest Whale." ;)
    Also, thanks for the defense guys.
    Bgramer is a great guy as well.

23. Mages64

If I didn't have an hour in my day for a Matt, I'd rethink my priorities...

:-D

KiMiRaiK likes this.
  24. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

If I were to leave my daughter waiting for an hour to be picked up so that I could drink a beer, I'd rethink my priorities.

25. Which is why places like Fremont and Chucks will get more of my money, rare beer or not.

I'm lucky enough that I'm able to hit up Uber and Bottleworks and Brouwers from time to time, but family responsibilities does make it impossible to just go whenever something gets tapped.

draheim likes this.
  26. Mages64

She'd rather hang out anyway;>) if all else fails, I hear adoption is popular now that Russia isn't an option.

beertunes likes this.
  27. draheim

Thank you.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but simply put I view as a negative anything that erects more barriers between my life and my beer. IIRC, Chuck and Matt @ Fremont both have kids. I don't think it's a coincidence that they both run kid-friendly establishments.

muchloveforhops3 likes this.
  28. Bottleworks is technically a bar, so they can't have minors on the premises unless there is a wall separating the bar from the rest of the store. How Chuck's gets around this is a mystery to me.

Also, I don't have a problem with businesses who want to be 21+. It's their right to do so, and frankly, it's nice going somewhere on a date night that isn't swarming with kids.

29. Mages64

But YOU chose to have kids, get married, have a life etc. it's not anyone else's responsibility to cater to your life. It sounds to me that rare beer isn't a truly viable part of your happy family filled life. Not that I think it should be by the way! Some of us choose to make beer an active part of our lives and most of the rest of you guys sound like your lives are more family focused. It just sounds silly by suggesting to make Internet reservations and cellaring fees so you don't have to leave your family more often.

Not sure why I consistently and utterly believe you must be kidding every time you post but I guess you and many others actually feel that way...

sanford_and_son and suncrust like this.
  30. Not allowing kids in a bottleshop, restaurant or brewery is a choice of the ownership. Only a tavern license precludes children and there are very few of those licenses. 21+ is a choice. A 40" "barrier" is required between a bar where patrons can buy AND drink their libations is all that is required. At Fremont, we don't have a bar where adults can order and drink beer. We have tables, bleachers, couches, etc. Either way, inviting the whole community regardless of age or species (in our case, dogs, cats or crazy BA posters :) is a choice not a legal requirement of the WSLCB.

We believe that sharing a pint with friends you know or just met creates community. Craft beer is a community. All of us. No exceptions. Our children (be they 1, 6, 18, 26, 36,46,56,66...you get the point) need to be accepted into our culture. We drink and make craft beer BECAUSE of the community. I could go on but I need a refill. And I want to go read to my kids...while drinking a Brother poured from a clear growler :)

31. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Restaurant license

32. draheim

I said way up here: "I'm not saying I haven't made my own choices that limit my freedom, and I have no regrets. I just wish the craft beer scene was more accessible to people who have a lot of other demands on their time. But I guess that's just the nature of the beast."

I know that given the choices I've made, I'll never be able to partake in the true upper echelons of the rare beer world, and I'm OK with that. Everything else I've got going on more than makes up for it, believe me. It's just frustrating when, even with good intentions, a bottle shop limits my ability to enjoy a product that has been packaged specifically for the consumer's convenience. Is that so difficult to grasp?

As far as Internet reservations and cellaring fees go... I say let the market decide. A lot of people are willing to pay extra for convenience; why should beer be immune?

And BTW, I'm not kidding about any of this. I'm as serious as a heart attack.

Rutager and muchloveforhops3 like this.
  33. suncrust

suncrust Savant (295) Washington Apr 17, 2011

I think Walez eat kids anyway.

beertunes likes this.
  34. waltersrj

First off...BW is SMALL. Can you imagine having 10 kids in there? I can't even imagine 10 people lol.
    The thing I'm most confused about here is people's viewpoint of how the new to be cellar list is not good for married, with kids, and jobs kind of people. If you can't run down ASAP when your unemployed friend tells you he bought a bottle of say BW X Matt and you can't make it because you have a date night with the wife, or a kids soccer game, or a job to be at then I'd think this new cellar list is perfect! I'm sure you could spare 1 hour to get to BW, order a bottle of Matt off the list and enjoy!

I feel this must be much more convenient and easier for you to do than get lucky and bring a rare bottle home for you to share with your friends on a day when nothing is going on. I'm confused by most people's displeasure to this list as well as their general point.

I love that we have spots like Fremont to bring a kid, a dog, whatever and enjoy fantastic beer! I also love going to BW, talking to Trevor (yes Julian, The Arctic Devil), and having a beer on tap while I peruse the shelves with no kids or dogs. Both are great and were fortunate to live in a great city with many options.

Cheers all,
    Ryan

PS - Texwild...keep making amazing beers. I'm stoked for BDMB #1 and the "massive line" that won't happen on your 11 am, 2/person/day tweet :)

35. waltersrj

Only kids with long hair Kyle ;)

suncrust likes this.
  36. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

I'm in much the same situation as you and I live just south of Everett so I can't make it out to Bottleworks very often. Requiring certain beers be had for on-site consumption only, would without a doubt keep the beer available for longer. Think Hotd. When the beer is available to go it sells out quickly. When you have to drink it on site it lasts for years. If I notice that Bottleworks has Deviation for an astronomical price I may buy it. But there is a no way I'm going to spend $100 on Deviation and have to drink it in the shop. Anyway, my point is that with this setup there will be time to make arrangements to try a beer that you want.

However, I'd prefer some kind of cellar club with a mailing list for current cellar beers. Beers would be available to-go and there would be bottle limits per account for some or all beers.

37. draheim

Just to clarify one point: I'm not suggesting that people should be able to bring their kids into Bottleworks. God, no.

38. You go to BW on dates? BM me if you need suggestions...

HuskyinPDX likes this.
  39. Touche.