1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bottleworks Launches Cellar List

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Mages64, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Hold the phone. I bring my dog to BW all the time. I have him with me almost every time I go. And he's welcome despite that fact that he pissed on Trevor's backpack when he was just a young pup.

djbreezy, Smurf2055 and ijaap like this.
  2. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

I've never seen a dog in BW. I love dogs...seems like the best place on earth now :)

BuckeyeOne likes this.
  3. Now if Matt would just let me bring him to Burgundian...

4. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

Oh yes, Pliny loves going into Bottleworks and sniffing around and everyone at BW loves Pliny:) he's super welcome there and loves when people drop food. Dogs are certainly welcome at the Bee Dub :)

5. You named your dog Pliny.

6. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

Honestly, i deal with little 18 year olds on a daily basis and i cant stand them, so i see your point, but the 21+ only at brouwers screwed me heartlessly one night, as i brought an annoying 19 year old with me for the soul purpose of being my DD only to find out they wouldnt even let him sat at a table and drink water as i tried the amazing selection of taps and bottles. W/O going into too much detail, it ended up being a horrible experience and one of the most stupid nights of my life just because i couldn't have an underaged person stay with me to be my DD...

Also, you dont need a "wall" to seperate the bar from the underaged. Norm's just has a classie poll that basically lets you know, this is the bar, and this is the family area.

PS This is CA_Infidel2o9. This will be my account from now on.

7. Are you talking about Norm's Eatery in Fremont? How did a GI from JBLM end up at Norm's?

KiMiRaiK likes this.
  8. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

And are you sure it's not a classy pole? ;)

9. KiMiRaiK

Because me and a friends sole purpose was to go check out Brouwers because of their bad ass selection. So we brought a 19 yr old with us to be our DD and toured all of Seatle all day listening to him bitch how cold it was and "why are we here" all day. So finally when the day was over and we got to the place we planned on going they wouldnt let our DD in. So I said f*** that, leave me there at a hotel close by, and that's when it turned all bad. Without going into too much detail I woke up in a city a barely knew with no cell phone or any means to contact someone to pick me up...

10. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

And a Tysonesque face tattoo. Major bummer.

beertunes and draheim like this.
  11. KiMiRaiK

Lol forgive me, for I have been drinking Epics Xmas party, Skagits IS, and multiple Americans Breakaway IPA. I'm a tad bit impaired.

12. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

You also have a poor choice in beer.

;)

13. KiMiRaiK

Ouch. The first 2 were by choice, the other was the best thing on draft.

14. OakedCanuck

Were you at a gas station?

suncrust likes this.
  15. waltersrj

That's quite possible. It's hard for me to believe that Breakaway was the best thing on tap somewhere.

16. waltersrj

Btw, Skagit Trumpeter is actually delicious Colin.

beertunes and csano like this.
  17. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

One of the most underrated beers from the region, IMO.

beertunes and Dogfishipas like this.
  18. OakedCanuck

The last batch of Trumpter I had that I thought was good was back in 2009. Thanks for telling me what is good though, I can't form an opinion on my own.

;)

19. waltersrj

I never said you had to agree with me :)

20. KiMiRaiK

Im on post at JBLM.

Trumpeter was pretty damn awesome, Xmas Party was tasty, didnt look it up on BA so I was suprised when it was sour.

21. draheim

New BW tweet: "The new Drink in House List just got printed..."

Nothing on their blog/website. I wonder if this will just be a printed list available in the store. Given how often they update the site this wouldn't surprise me.

22. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Considering how often they update anything, I'm sure the new printed list in the store is already full of things they haven't had in a year ;)

sanford_and_son and draheim like this.
  23. draheim

This reminds me (loosely) of something I've been meaning to ask the group.
    Has that big painted mural behind the counter always been there? The street scene presumably from some city in Belgium? I've been going in there for a few years now and only recently did I notice it for the first time. I asked the guys and they said yes, it's always been there, and it hasn't been covered up or anything. They said it showed the artist's signature somewhere, w/ the year 1999 (year BW opened). I was pretty skeptical, as I don't typically miss a big detail like that.
    Anyway, just curious if they were pulling my leg, or if I'm just a lot less observant than I give myself credit for.
    Also kinda wondering if it's a "red pill/blue pill" kind of thing, where you just enter a level of beerdom where things previously hidden from view suddenly become obvious. But I doubt it's anywhere as deep as all that.
    Cheers!

24. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

I saw them touching it up recently.

25. BillHilly

BillHilly Savant (390) Washington Oct 17, 2010

It's a good situation for those of you that are close...for me it's a 1 1/2 hour bus ride each way to drink on site so I don't have to consume and drive...or, I just walk 50 feet to my cellar - tough call!

26. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

Especially when you don't even know what's going to be there. If they published the list it would drive a lot more traffic.

27. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

My memory's fuzzy on it, but I'm thinking it just seems new since they typically have stacks of boxes all piled up behind the counter and it's probably mostly covered by those.

28. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Stopped in today to check it out. They have six bottles, the highlight is Deviation for $90. They had vintage Thomas Hardy, JW Lee's, and a couple of the vintage Demon's of Ale for around $20 each.

29. Deviation is $90, really? That sucks. How many hundred cases are in their cellar anyways?

bfg75 and hopburster like this.
  30. I'm hoping this doesn't mean that they will stop randomly putting cellared beers out in the cooler. For those of us who aren't buying them with the purpose of trading them. Drifting a bit, why would BW or any retailer care what someone does with the beer once it leaves the store? I've had a couple other retailers wrinkle their noses a bit if trading comes up in conversation.

31. OakedCanuck

Is anybody really surprised?

32. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

Go read the first post, which has their announcement. It's to prevent trading/hoarding/whatever. I dont think I'll really mess with the list much, but then again, I wouldn't buy an $85 bottle of Deviation off the shelf either.

33. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

One assumes that they are pricing things so that they continue to have quantity of them in their cellar, rather than have them sell out in a week. I'm not sure how anyone is surprised by that.

34. I'm wondering --- and this is just me wondering --- if they're pricing Deviation at $90 to get a laugh out of how many chumps are willing to pay that much for a bottle of beer. Must be boring to sit around that shop all day, huh?

35. I think they do care at least a small amount, as evidenced pretty plainly in the announcement. I'm not trying to pick a fight and I'm sure you pay it forward to your friends as evidenced by all the posters jumping to your defense. I just think it's contradictory to the service they are trying to offer their customers.

These topics are related. If you really hooked someone up in a trade, like really gave em a nice bottle for way less than the going rate, would you be upset to see them trading it for something else? Seems the same to me as what Bottleworks is doing. From what I've read, their prices are way below market prices (Ebay). Or other bottle shops that are selling you a rare beer at MSRP instead of an equilibrium price.

36. draheim

If that's the case, then I know of one guy who they would find funnier than Richard Pryor.

37. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I've never been to BW, so i don't know what specific license they have. But, there have been changes to some of the licenses in the last couple of years. Retail license can serve now. For example, here in Bellingham, Elizabeth Station serves pints, fills growlers, and has a great bottle selection for both on-premesis and take home sales. They also have a cereal bar. It's not unusual to see Mom have an IPA, Dad pop open a bottle of Sour and the spawn chow down on bowls of cereal at the same table.

waltersrj likes this.
  38. Unpossible! Women don't drink beer, especially ipas!

beertunes likes this.
  39. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Well, some of the hairy legged, she-yeti's here Bham do! ;)

40. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Saw a couple aged Allagash beers on the shelves, and a few vintages in the barleywine cooler as well.