1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Bottleworks Launches Cellar List

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Mages64, Jan 15, 2013.

1. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

bgramer likes this.
  2. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

:rolleyes: I have yet to find someone who is truly as busy as they claim to be. We all choose our priorities in life as we see fit. Also, many kids end up growing up just okay with the occasional babysitter. Does your wife not let you have guy's nights either?

I guess I just don't see why you're so passionate about this cutting into your cellar.

3. julian

julian Savant (340) Washington May 31, 2008

So...I like the idea of having an in house bottle list. It's not a new idea by any means, but it's going to be interesting seeing how that changes the dynamic of the shop. I don't go to BW as often as I used to (trying to spend less) but this cellar list will absolutely make me come more often and probably make me stay longer...and I have a feeling that other beer lovers like myself would do the same...since we can split the cost of something "rare" and all get to try it. We're going to be seeing a lot less "in n out" (mmmm burgers) customers and a lot more "sit down and share some deviation" customers. That is providing they don't rape us on those bottle prices! I heard that Peche n Brett was at Brouwers for $35! But as long as the prices are not insane, I see this being a huge success.

Also, I stopped going to Fremont because of the kid infestation. Same with barking dog. I could go on a huge long rant about kids and beer, but I'll just leave it at kids and beer do not mix. End of story.

4. bgramer

bgramer Savant (335) Washington Feb 10, 2006

I can say for sure that the folks at Bottleworks are solid stand up dudes. This is an interesting development that probably will be successful.

RE: Julian's comment about "kid infestation"... to each his own, but I do enjoy the family friendly ambiances of Reuben's Brews, Naked City, Fremont, Elliott Bay, Chuck's, Beveridge Place Pub and I'm sure many more places once I think about it. As a father, I appreciate that places like that out there allow more flexibility with my more limited schedule. People who are not parents definitely won't get what I mean about how time is precious but that flexibility makes it easier.

5. I guess we'll miss you as much at Fremont as much as we've missed you at BW.

Rutager likes this.
  6. This might be one of the most clueless and possibly idiotic things I've read in a long while.

Rutager and Dogfishipas like this.
  7. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Hear, hear.

I've laid out my position on this ad nauseam, but I'll reply to djbreezy's comment above and otherwise refer him to every other post I've written in this thread, which pretty much covers it. Partly because on this particular day, I've already worked 12 hours and it looks like I'll be working another 5 overnight, then head right back downtown in the morning for another 8-hour shift. All while managing to get my kid to school and back, fed, to bed, etc. etc. So actually, I'm exactly as busy as I claim to be.

A. Beers are bottled for a reason; namely, portability. I understand why BW wants to limit this useful feature to limit trading/hoarding etc., I just think it's kind of shortsighted. Others clearly disagree. Fine.
    B. I see my family too little as it is. So yes, I'd rather enjoy a delicious beer in the comfort of my home with the people I love—listening to music, reading a book, watching a film of my choice, fixing something that's broken—than hanging out in a bottle shop with a bunch of strangers. No offense to Bottleworks, it's a great place to buy beer and the staff are friendly and helpful. It's just not really my scene.
    C. I love my family. I love beer. I don't want to have to choose between them. Some places make this easier, some make it harder. I'll be spending more of my time and money at the former, less at the latter.

CruisaC, Rutager, Dogfishipas and 4 others like this.
  8. D. In those rare instances in which I get a babysitter, I'm certainly not going to waste it hanging out in a bottle shop with a bunch of beer geeks. I'll be using that time at dinner and a movie with my beautiful wife.

9. Apparently you can't have kids and be a BA at the same time. I must have missed the memo.

CruisaC, distantmantra and draheim like this.
  10. julian

julian Savant (340) Washington May 31, 2008

Ahhh BuckeyeOne, can't say that I've missed your insightful commentary on the world of craft beer and other fine topics for which you have nothing useful to say or contribute. But kudos to you for not changing, when so many of us do. You're sticking to your sad, bitter ways and I think that's super.

11. draheim

Yes, there's that too. My wife doesn't even drink so I'd have to seriously ask myself, how selfish do I want to be?

bgramer likes this.
  12. draheim

That's because it was posted on a piece of paper at Bottleworks.

BuckeyeOne and Prufrockstar like this.
  13. Lazerlobe

Lazerlobe Savant (305) Washington Mar 1, 2010

For those that were worried, there hasn't been a huge rush of whale chasing tickers swarming the on premise list. In fact, no one has bought a bottle of that one beer until tonight.

Mages64 likes this.
  14. I've seen a few people checking in Deviation at Bottleworks on Untappd the last few days. 5 people splitting one bottle, wonder how much it's going for?

15. draheim

$90

16. o_O

Yeah, I don't think I could talk my buddies into going in on that, since they don't like sour beer. Oh well.

17. Lazerlobe

Lazerlobe Savant (305) Washington Mar 1, 2010

Plus tax.

18. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

And tip

19. draheim

Plus corkage? Or is that included?

20. Nice to see people on this site with priorities I can relate to. :cool: As much as I love beer, there's so much more to life.

If only the scene in here in Vancouver (BC) were more kid friendly. It was a bit depressing coming home from a family trip to Portland last weekend.

jpbebeau, distantmantra and draheim like this.
  21. If we were living before 1920 this comment might be true.

22. O. Thnx for clearing that up.

beertunes and Franch like this.
  23. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

does anyone know how much deviation BW has held back? i don't know when i'll be able to get to seattle, but would really like to try it. as a bonus, no kids!

24. Are you trying to stir up shit?

25. Franch

no, are you?

26. I'm not. But there were a number of replies to this thread (that have since been nuked) from Seattle-area BAs who supported kid-friendly places, including bars, taprooms, etc. I recall you commenting previously on this topic and your comment got nuked as well.

A number of pro-kid BAs are BW regulars, including myself, and I for one don't appreciate you continuing to stir the pot on this topic, especially since you'd be a visitor and the moderators obviously wanted this specific topic dropped.

27. Franch

i wanted to talk about deviation. you want to talk about kids. i view it as a bonus that deviation is being sold at bottleworks rather than chuck-e-cheese, but i am really more interested in the number of bottles BW has than yr pro-kid rhetoric.

28. draheim

I'd just like to add that I'm glad BW doesn't allow small white dogs either.

beertunes and stx00lax like this.
  29. Franch

even were that true (it isn't), it'd be a small price to pay.

30. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

#Kidsadvocate

31. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

But, do they allow 115lb Mastiff-Rottie mixes that think they're small white dogs? I'm babysitting for couple weeks, so I wondered.

Franch likes this.
  32. draheim

I have no idea. But if not, you can always tie the dog up outside. If I did that with my daughter, I'd be arrested.
    Oops, sorry. Off topic again. But only a slight... ahem... Deviation.

33. Would a 115lb dog fit in Bottleworks? That's almost my size. :p Could always ask and relocate to norm's/fremont/etc if they're not okay with it.

beertunes likes this.
  34. I bring my 85 lb. chocolate lab/pit bull mix there all the time. I know 125 lb. mastiff's are welcome at Fremont cuz I saw one there.

beertunes likes this.
  35. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I have a solution. When I'm walking him and have to run an errand where he can't go, I just clip his leash to my backpack and drop it on the ground. He walks to the end of his leash, feels the resistance, and thinks he couldn't possibly move that backpack. So, we'll just clip your daughter to the other end of the leash. He'll be babysitting. Brilliant!

36. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Late to the party so I'll make it short:
    1. I would pay $90 to drink a Deviation with a couple of friends
    2. I hate your kids
    3. How much for a BW 12 or BA Leviathan?

37. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

They don't have either listed. I would guess Leviathan around $80 because it was around $70 last time I saw it on the shelf. No clue on BW 12, but somewhere around $40-50 is my estimate.

38. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I'm going to be there this weekend; any reports on what else is on the list currently?

39. draheim

You know what would be great? If there was some widely accessible, real-time electronic medium where Bottleworks could post its current cellar list and pricing with extraordinarily little effort. That way, we wouldn't have to rely on random Internet chatter to try to piece together this information. Oh, wait...

yojimbo1, Rutager and oregone like this.
  40. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

draheim likes this.