1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bottling bucket question

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by JimSmetana, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Most kits include a primary fermenting bucket a secondary carboy AND a plastic bottling bucket. Question is couldn't you use your primary fermenting bucket as your bottling bucket instead of purchasing a seperate bucket?

2. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

Yes, I have one bucket that serves both purposes.

The one caveat would be that if you plan to do primary in the bucket I haven't figured out how to bottle without transferring it at least once to get it off the yeast.

3. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Assuming you are priming with a sugar solution, it would be difficult to mix your priming sugar into the beer in the primary without stirring up the trub, which you do not want in your bottled beer.

4. PortLargo

PortLargo Savant (430) Florida Oct 19, 2012

Yes, that is exactly what I do. I transfer from secondary carboy back to the primary bucket, add priming sugar, and use an auto-siphon to bottle. It works well.

5. I thought so. As long as you do a secondary fermentation in a carboy the primary should be ideal for bottling. Thanks!

6. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

A bottling bucket, tubing and bottle filler are going to cost around $20 (probably less in a kit). Save yourself a possible pita and drop the $20. I also use my bottling bucket to sanitize equipment during multiple steps of the brewing process. Well worth the money in my opinion.