1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bottling

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Bizoneill, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Bizoneill

Bizoneill Savant (285) Connecticut Apr 19, 2012

I know the average time is 2-3 weeks in the bottle but does that go for all bottles? I used 12oz and 22oz. Do they carbonate differently? I brewed a clone Hennepin and opend a 12 oz last week and that was sitting for 2 weeks and it seemed to be carbonated pretty good. I thought 1 more week and it would be perfect. Well see tonight. Please let me know if you have any idea what the wait time on a 22oz compaired to a 12oz is. I let the 22oz go the full 3 weeks but not sure if it will be ready. This is the first time I am using them.

Cheers!
    Bobby
  2. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

I was going to say it is the same. But I thought about it and I always tend to drink the 12oz's first when I have one case of 12oz's and one case of 22oz's. I did a search and it seems other people have experianced 22oz's taking a little bit longer. I usually try one 12oz a little after a week and it is usually carbed fine. I tried my citra/simcoe Ipa last night after a week and 4 days and it was already carbed perfectly. Nice thick head and strong aroma.
    Bizoneill likes this.
  3. hailpurdue

hailpurdue Aspirant (35) Arizona Aug 6, 2012

My average is about 8-9 days in bombers, 4-6 in 12 oz beers.
    Bizoneill likes this.
  4. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

I usually pop a 12oz after a week and it's almost always well carbonated. But they tend to be better after at least 2-3 weeks (so I generally leave the rest for at least two weeks). It depends some on the style and amount of priming sugar too.
    Bizoneill likes this.
  5. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I think the bottle wand (3/8''?) is supposed to be fit for 12 oz bottles. The more headspace you leave in a bottle the quicker it will carb and the more CO2 volumes you will get. This probably won't have a significant impact on the extra 10 oz of beer in a bomber. If primed equally with sugar, they should come out about the same.
  6. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Did you mean to say the more headspace you fill (rather than leave), the more CO2 volumes you will get? Here's a C&P from a prevuious, similar discussion...

"Let's say you fill a bottle half-way with beer that has been pre-primed in a bottling bucket. So this bottle will have half as much sugar, and ultimately about half as much CO2, as a normally filled bottle. This would be fine if the CO2 from the 'half sugar' stayed in the 'half beer.' But this reduced CO2 is split between the beer and the headspace. So when you open the bottle, you'll get CO2 'pop', but the beer will be undercarbonated. It's the same phenomenon as when a partially emptied growler is closed and then sits for a while, because the CO2 that would otherwise be keeping the beer fully carbonated migrates to the headspace."
    AlCaponeJunior and inchrisin like this.
  7. A 5 gallon 'bottle' takes all of 5 minutes, if I'm in a hurry ;)
    (Sorry, I guess that's off topic)
  8. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Keggers are a proud race of people.
  9. Bizoneill

Bizoneill Savant (285) Connecticut Apr 19, 2012

I know.... I cant wait to get my kegging system! But this was my first all-grain batch that I brewed 5 Gallons of so I wanted to do it old school... 3 weeks in 12 oz the beer tastes fantastic. 3 weeks in the 22 oz I haven't tasted it yet but gave some to friends and feedback it very positive!

Thanks for all of the replies!

Cheers!
    Bobby