1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bought a Full Sack of Milled Grain?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GreenKrusty101, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Just bought a couple of full sacks of grain and ordered them milled/crushed (Rahr 50# from Midwest). The bags came sealed...but milled already, which leads me to believe they were milled at somewhere up the supply chain...anyone know who mills them? ...Rahr?...Brewers Supply Group? Midwest?

This will probably be the last time I order milled grain though as Santa brought me a grain mill.

2. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (395) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

I'm not a Buddhist, but am starting to feel I haven't suffered enough because I by-passed the pre-milled grain phase.

3. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Savant (365) Michigan Dec 14, 2006

I'm inclined to believe that Midwest mills the grain and then re-seals the bag.

4. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

Send them an email and ask.

And you had better leave some homebrew for Santa. He can be a pisser at times. He might bring you some Pediococcus and not tell you.

5. Went right to milling your own grain, eh? Must be a Zoroastrian : )

6. DubbelMan

DubbelMan Aficionado (170) New York Mar 17, 2009

Ha! Is that a rare thing? I milled my own grain when i switched from extract years ago. With a good old Corona mill. :D

Cheers!

7. I don't know what requires more suffering...a Mr. Beer kit or milling grain with a Corona Mill : )

cheers also

HerbMeowing likes this.
  8. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

I don't know. That's why I'm not a Buddhist.

HerbMeowing likes this.
  9. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (445) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I can help with this. I'll make sure I pick on you more in 2013. :D

10. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (395) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

11. dmamiano

dmamiano Savant (420) West Virginia Nov 18, 2005

Cant tell you how many hundreds of pounds of grain I milled with my corona. Finally broke down and bought a Barley Crusher. Night and day!

DubbelMan likes this.
  12. I don't know who supplies Midwest, but we get bulk grain thru our local Brewpub. North Country Malt supplies them and they offer milled grain in addition to whole grain. I would suspect Midwest gets the big sacks in both fashions to provide to their customers. While it is obvious they mill their own specialty grain or small orders of base malt, I can't believe they would open a 55pound sack, mill it and then refill/seal it.

Did it have the fancy stitch sealing with the string?

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  13. Yes, I think you are right....Brewer's Supply Group is the middleman between Midwest and Rahr from what I can tell.

14. I've never used anything other than ready milled-that's how it comes straight from the maltster. Even after many months it gave exactly the same extraction and flavours seemed to be still all there.