1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bought The Abyss cold. Need to age it cold?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by wtkphoto, Feb 6, 2013.

1. wtkphoto

wtkphoto Savant (465) Michigan Apr 3, 2009

Was hunting for this for a while and finally found it before it sold out at a local pub. Since they sell it to drink there it was cold. Do I need to keep it cold to age it? That's what the bartender recommended but I thought that slowed down the process a lot.
  2. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Just drink it fresh! But generally speaking, no.
  3. wtkphoto

Thanks, think I'll buy one more tomorrow and age it and drink the other one fresh.
  4. tut2528

tut2528 Savant (460) Illinois Sep 26, 2008

beer can sustain a such temperature change, really the only issues are when you hit extreme highs and lows
    Treebs and Drucifer like this.
  5. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (465) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

Exactly this. Not over 80 and not under 40, and make sure it is out of the light. I have most of my big beers at 52 degrees, but that is just personal preference as I like to drink them as soon as I grab them from my cellar!
  6. Light is what does the most damage to beer. Taking a beer out of the fridge and bringing it to room temp for a few days/weeks, only to chill it again for consumption will not hurt it at all.
  7. youradhere

youradhere Savant (460) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

No, you will be fine. I've kept several years and cases worth of Deschutes Reserve Series in a closet in my garage (it's more like a walk-in pantry, but basically the same as a closet) and that temperature stays between 35 in winter and about 70 in the dead of summer. All my beer from that "cellar" have tasted just fine, so save the fridge space and stash that bad boy in a dark shady corner of your garage. I personally think Abyss drinks great fresh, it is already perfectly balanced, and as far as the vintages go I find that the trend for the newer vintages is steering towards "do not age" territory for me.
  8. wtkphoto

Thanks for the advice everyone!
  9. Idealistically 55deg and a dark place.
  10. wtkphoto

They're in a dark place, but not one that cool. High 60's will have to do.
  11. You will still be fine. The higher the temps the faster the aging. The lower the temp the slower. So "they" say anyway. Will there be big fluctuations in temps come summer? Does it stay mostly the same where you are?
  12. wtkphoto

I live in an apartment so they're just in a closet and we usually keep the air con/heat around 70. It's cooler in the closet by just a bit. So yes, it's a constant temperature.