1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Boulder

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by claspada, Jan 22, 2013.

1. claspada

claspada Advocate (630) New Jersey Sep 27, 2007

I will be in Denver for a few days in mid-May this year for a trip and was looking to see if there were any spots in nearby Boulder worth checking out and maybe spending a day in the area. (Apologize if this is repetitive, but I tried to search the forum and couldn't find anything useful.)
  2. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

search for assbanana; lots of threads based on Denver/Boulder/Ft.Collins
    coreymcafee likes this.
  3. You can definitely spend a day in Boulder if you felt inclined. Hopefully one of the Boulder BAs will stop by with details.

Off the top of my head you have Avery, Upslope, Boulder Beer Co,and Twisted Pine for breweries. I've only been to Avery and Twisted Pine. You could spend all day at Avery. They have a great tap room. Twisted Pine has a brewpub feel, but the food and beer is average.

As for bottle shops, LiquorMart and Hazels are good places. B Town Wine and Spirits isn't bad either and is on your way to Avery. Assuming you're driving from downtown Denver, there are several shops on your way just off Hwy 36 (Superior Liquor and Westminster Total Beverage).

Lots of great options when it comes to food. Backcountry Pizza is badass and has a nice tap list. They also update it daily on Facebook, which is nice. Mountain Sun is also good for beer, burgers and Mexican food. It has a very "Boulder" vibe. The Dark Horse doesn't have a great beer selection, but its my favorite place in Boulder. It's a great little dive with good burgers and wings.

You could also drive another 15 minutes north of Boulder to Oskar Blues Liquids and Solids. That is a great spot. All the OB beers, plus about 40 great others. The food is also really good.
  4. quine

quine Savant (260) Colorado Feb 15, 2011

Big recommendation for Avery, they always have a great selection and have lots of taproom-exclusive beers to try.

Mountain Sun and Southern Sun also brew a fairly big selection, have good pub food, and are very Bouldery (Southern Sun is a little bigger).

Backcountry Pizza is the place to go if you want to hit up a taphouse, and it also has a huge bottle list (three full pages of sours!).

Boulder Beer is not amazing in terms of beer, in my opinion, but they do have free tours where they give the tour group a free pitcher of each beer at the end.

Redstone Meadery if you want a change of pace, they do free tastings pretty much whenever, and their mead is tasty (and walkable from Boulder Beer).

Other breweries worth visiting are Upslope, which is fairly small but has been producing some great beer, and maybe Twisted Pine, which tends to fill the herb/spiced/chile beer niche.

I'd recommend Liquor Mart or Hazel's for bottle shop (I prefer Hazel's to Liquor Mart). Harvest Wines & Spirits also has a great selection but is a lot smaller.
    poopinmybutt likes this.
  5. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

i rarely see mountain/southern sun get mentioned in here so kudos to you quine, i love that place and hit it up every time i'm in the area. really nice hop forward beers and great food for low low prices.

i might have to hit up upslope next time i swing by, never been there but everyone says they are getting better.
  6. Brewery: Avery
    Taphouse: Backcountry Pizza
    Liquor Store: Hazel's

Mountain Sun and Southern Sun are worth checking out as well, especially if there's live music playing at Southern Sun.
  7. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

May? Yeah the beer and food in Boulder is excellent, but you gotta do some hiking in Chautauqua. If you're somewhat fit you'll have a great time doing the First Flatiron. If you aren't fit, hit up the mesa trail. Either are great.

Afterwards you can hit up one of the many suggestions here. Wild Woods is a newer brewery that hasn't been mentioned but is excellent (no food).

My favorite brew pub here is Twisted Pine. I find their food to be nothing short of excellent, but their beer is pretty average.
  8. claspada

claspada Advocate (630) New Jersey Sep 27, 2007

Definitely looking to occulying some time outdoors. Do you know of any good links with maps.
  9. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

denver10 and tacosandbeer like this.
  10. A little off topic, Celestial Seasonings is right near the Redstone Meadery and a visit to the "mint room" is pretty cool.
    coreymcafee likes this.
  11. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Aficionado (245) Ohio Jan 24, 2006

A friend and I had a day in Boulder last summer. We rented bikes and toured Avery, Twisted Pine, Boulder Brewing, and a few other spots. Boulder is best seen by bike. We used University Cycle, but several options around.