1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Boulevard Chocolate Ale Refund

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by sentomaster, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Many know about this already, but for those who don't:

http://www.boulevard.com/beers/chocolate-ale-refund-announcement/

Just before the forums went down I remember looking for some info on Chocolate Ale since I got really none of the flavors I saw described by most. Other people had noted odd flavors as well and now it makes sense.

Apparently batches 2011-1, 2011-2, 2011-3 "exhibit flavors and aromas not intended"

Hopefully I can try a good one next year instead of the 'unchocolate' ale I had.
  2. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Savant (480) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Yeah, my wife and I were terribly disappointed! We have it on tap locally here and have drank our fair share of it and it was awesome. We bought 2 bottles (only. because I heard about the rumors) and opened one on Valentine Day and couldn't finish it. No flavor and no chocolate aroma.
  3. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (585) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Yeah I just checked. Mine is from 2011-1

Better email them the details.
  4. Thank you for posting! Sent my email.
  5. Wasatch

Wasatch Advocate (695) Utah Jun 8, 2005

Thanks for the info.

Cheers!
  6. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

thanks for posting, you just saved me from sending bad beer to a regular trading partner. guess it's back to the liquor store for me.
  7. ratty918

ratty918 Aficionado (190) Minnesota Aug 23, 2011

Hmm. good to know I was very disappointed in this beer.
  8. Soneast

Soneast Savant (470) Wisconsin May 9, 2008

awwww...just found out the bottle we got came from one of the bad batches. :mad:
    Is every bottle in the batch bad? or just some? They didn't really clarify that in the release.
  9. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

i think they are just posting the batches that detected the bottles.

now if only alpine can step up to the plate like this...
  10. BUNZILLA

BUNZILLA Advocate (615) Indiana Jan 14, 2011

I have 2011-3 . This is just another reason to like Boulevard. Very honorable of them :)
  11. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I was very let down on my 2011-2 bottle. I was expecting so much too.
  12. Shit happens, even to the best of breweries, and it really shows Boulevard's quality as a company that they're being upfront about this and offering refunds. Good on 'em.
    redbravo likes this.
  13. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Yeah that's true.. AB and Miller-Coors put out garbage beer year round and never offer refunds.
    lokieman likes this.
  14. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (875) Colorado May 19, 2005

Good for Boulevard for the assistance and clarity. But, this is second time in recent memory one of their Smokestack offerings was "off". What's going on over yonder??
  15. I've already sent in for my refund and they have already responded, refund expected soon. Way to go! Other breweries (you know who you are) should take note on how Boulevard is handling a bad beer/customer service scenario. Three thumbs up!
    [​IMG]
  16. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Except with the Batch 2 Imperial Stout, it was actually ALOT better than the Batch 1, not "off" bottles.
  17. Just gifted a bottle out last weekend. Great. Get your stuff together, Boulevard. I think I'll be skipping buying bottles until you guys do just that.
  18. jeonseh

jeonseh Savant (485) Indiana Oct 14, 2007

Thanks for posting this. I saw the announcement and forgot all about it.
  19. oreo

oreo Savant (250) Illinois Jul 29, 2010

Props to Boulevard for providing refunds for bad beer. Now if only Heineken would do this on every beer sold.... PERMA SKUNK
    AleWatcher and BUNZILLA like this.
  20. ya, but at least they have the decency to be forthright about it. They could have easily swept either under the rug. To notify their customers AND offer a refund is stepping up to the plate big time; it shows they have a dedication to quality and I'm sure they'll work hard to get the kinks corrected
    ABisonEgo likes this.
  21. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (875) Colorado May 19, 2005

Oh for sure. I'm not dogging them about that. Just wondering why the Smokestack series (ok, well, two of them) have had some troubles. And the tainted Imp Stout actually tasted good to me; but didn't get the chocolate this year
  22. julian

julian Savant (340) Washington May 31, 2008

CRAP! I know I must have had a bad bottle too now because I certainly didn't get any of the chocolate flavors or any flavors I was expecting. Who keeps their bottles though? I must have recycled it MONTHS ago...damnit.
  23. Just sent mine in. Plan on buying other Boulevard products with the refund. What a classy company.
  24. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I'm confused, is this an infection (which you'd expect to be subtle or unnoticeable at first, then develop over time) or just outright bad bottles? It sounds like the latter, which, if true, makes this not even remotely okay. They should never have sent the stuff out if it tasted off from day 1.
    ShogoKawada likes this.
  25. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

Sending mine in. I'll get a Tank 7 Saison with the refund $. Outstanding customer service.
  26. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (585) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Sent mine in today. Under reported the cost so had to resend an email :-/
  27. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (265) Colorado May 31, 2011

I think the guy who was supposed to add chocolate nibs to the fermenter screwed up and added frozen split peas. It's pretty easy to do.
  28. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

You were just fishing for "likes."
    Well you sir have failed are fucking awesome.
  29. oreo

oreo Savant (250) Illinois Jul 29, 2010

WINNER
    AleWatcher likes this.
  30. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

I feel REALLY bad for the people in St Louis that were talking about places selling this beer at $50 per bottle.
    oreo likes this.
  31. stevefinny

stevefinny Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 28, 2009

Happy to see Boulevard man up.
  32. Interesting. My bottle must have been from one of those batches, there was chocolate but it was quite strange besides that.
  33. I wasn't too impressed with my bottle. But it was a 2011-4...so no refund.
  34. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

Thanks for posting about this. A friend in KC had sent me the info, but I misread it -- the batch number doesn't show well on the bottle that I have left, and I mistook the "best by" date as the batch number. Taking another look, I see why this beer let me down so -- bad batch! Hopefully they'll refund me for both bottles I bought, even though the other one is long gone.
  35. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Disappointing, I bought two bottles of batch 2011-3 based on last year's batch which I really enjoyed. Still, good to see Blvd doing the right thing here, they've ensured my repeat business by backing up their product with cold hard cash.
  36. RTrain12

RTrain12 Savant (395) Illinois Feb 6, 2010

Good thing to do, Cuz that stuff was nasty!
  37. KansasBeerLover

KansasBeerLover Savant (320) Kansas Feb 16, 2009

I only had two bottles this year. Must have been from a good batch, no unusual aroma or flavor. But it didn't seem to be as good as last years run, which was outstanding. First time I was disappointed with a Boulevard. The refund offer is a sign of customer commitment and quality.
  38. markmiller

markmiller Savant (265) New York Dec 28, 2010

From the Press Release:

"This week, some post-release checks of Chocolate Ale, our current Smokestack seasonal offering, revealed that certain batches of the beer had begun to exhibit flavors and aromas not intended by our brewers, attributes not detected prior to the January release of the beer."

I doubt they knew these were bad before shipping them out. There's just too much to lose in that situation. I think they are being sincere and are doing their best to recover.
    mdvatab and sentomaster like this.
  39. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

I opened a bottle of what I believe was the 2011-1 batch last year and, while not funky, it was definitely not an enjoyable beer. Good to see this sort of response from the brewery.
  40. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Thanks for the post on this. 2011-3 in my stock, so just sent in the info for a refund. I still plan on trying to drink it, though - maybe they're not ALL bad. And if it is, I'll just toss it.