1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon barrel aged beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by YaloMac, May 12, 2013.

1. YaloMac

YaloMac Disciple (70) Mississippi May 6, 2013

What would you consider the best beer (style or specific) to be aged in bourbon barrels??

We are going to be doing some barrel aged editions and are going to try several styles at several different age points.

Very interested in everyone's opinion.
    Thanks.

2. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Uh... stout, barleywine, quad?

...../thread?

RobertColianni likes this.
  3. Stouts are by far the best style for barrel aging.

4. screamking

screamking Savant (325) Ohio Jan 20, 2013

I still think backwoods bastard is my top choice. It's not too hard to find in season unlike most.

5. YaloMac

Do you like it more because you can get it easier or just in general?

6. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I really enjoyed BBQ from boulevard. Such a great beer.

7. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Savant (425) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

Well, the two most obvious would be Imperial Stouts, Barleywines and Scotch Ales. Breweries are getting more experimental with them though (see Founders Doom, etc.). At this point I could see just about any beer being bourbon barrel-aged (probably just for the hell of it sometimes.....), except maybe Bud Light.........maybe.

8. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale.

mlhyatt and HopFace like this.
  9. screamking

screamking Savant (325) Ohio Jan 20, 2013

Like it the best. I really haven't had to many but I think backwoods is better than KBS.

RWNay, RummyRedbeard and harrylee773 like this.
  10. what does this mean ?

and +1 to backwoods bastard.

11. strangebrew321

strangebrew321 Savant (370) Indiana Feb 18, 2009

Stout & Barleywine

12. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Summer shandy

13. SFACRKnight

That's three.

14. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Savant (425) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

Haha damn you're right. I hadn't included Scotch Ales at first then I thought of Backwoods Bastard and put that category in, but forgot to edit the rest of it. Good catch man.

15. YaloMac

Sorry to not be clear. We are opening a craft brewery this year in Mississippi. Bourbon has been my passion for quite a while. We have 96 bourbon barrels but have not started experimenting with them yet. We are just kicking around the ideas right now. My favorite so far would be a bourbon barrel coffee stout.

16. SFACRKnight

Its cool, I post aall kinds of stupid shit and don't realize it untill its too late.

JohnnyMc likes this.
  17. SFACRKnight

Not to be a dick, but why do what's been done? Try something new. Babsga? Imperial red? What about a doppelbock?

dianimal likes this.
  18. HIS barrel aged coffee stout hasn't been done.

19. YaloMac

I do love the thought of a barrel aged doppelbock. Sounds awesome. There have been a couple barrel aged doppelbocks, but I have not tried any. I think the coffee stout was my first thought because 1) we could barrel something that we are in the process of making ourselves and 2) it just sounds like something I would drink.

albertq17 and Topher78 like this.
  20. bushycook

bushycook Aficionado (215) Virginia Jan 31, 2011

A doppelbock or a weizenbock would be something to consider.

21. Try barrel aged blockhead from Hebrew/schmaltz it's delicious

22. American Adjunct Lager

23. Nothing wrong with trying something new, but it also makes sense to do some styles that people already are familiar with. A new brewery might have a hard time getting started if all they offer is stuff that nobody is familiar with.

Sirvis likes this.
  24. no

25. ^ this. kentucky bourbon barrel ale is like bourbon kool aid. and i dont mean that in a good way...

26. YaloMac

This is another one I have not tried. What do you mean? What makes it a bad beer to you?

27. JOrtt

JOrtt Savant (345) California Dec 20, 2012

I love me some George Dickel on the weekends! Love your picture

28. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

Nothing beats a thick, chewy imperial stout tossed in bourbon barrels for the better part of a year...or more. :)

29. VTMoondog

VTMoondog Aficionado (170) Vermont Apr 14, 2013

Not much more to say...all the above posters have said it all. Stouts, Barleywines, Scotch Ales, Old Ales are the ones that work best. Have fun:)

30. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (595) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

The BBQ with cherries is excellent.
    I like stouts in Bourbon Barrels. The hard part here is melding the bourbon. I think some of the most popular beers that are barrel aged have high FGs. The extra residual sweetness counteracts some of the bourbon alcohol and the tannins from the wood, which have a drying effect - so to me - a higher FG, like you see in barrel aged imperial stouts is good. That's probably why most people here are saying stouts.

Obviously, a beer like Doom and TG Naughty Temple suggest that IPAs can handle a bourbon barrel, but again, they're imperial - so more sugar - and a higher FG than an IPA. These are both great beers though, which means that stout isn't the only answer.

So, I think people generally enjoy beers with high FG's, where the flavors meld with the wood and bourbon. I've had BBQ, and recently Brau Brother's Quad, confusingly the same letters - both are super good and fun to buy to me because I make beer and Quads are a bit difficult to make. I do think that stouts are always a good call. Always love a KBS. I'm currently aging a Belgian Barley Wine on whiskey staves so I obviously put too much thought into this answer.

YaloMac likes this.
  31. A local brewery just released an imperial red in heaven hill barrels. While it was tasty, the beer lacked the body/mouthfeel that I like about BA stouts. A lot of the vanilla and oak shined through, but it lost a lot of the heat for some reason. I think it's a great idea to experiment, but you can't go wrong with putting a stout/barley wine in the barrels. You can try adding different ingredients like vanilla bean, chocolate, licorice etc until you find a solid combo. Could be a lot of fun. Good luck!

YaloMac likes this.
  32. VTMoondog

VTMoondog Aficionado (170) Vermont Apr 14, 2013

What the heck is FG?

Lledd likes this.
  33. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Agree that Stouts and Barleywines are probably the best suited styles for bourbon barrel aging. BUT....Love Child is made with a blend of beers that have been aged extensively in bourbon barrels (anywhere from 16 months-6 years) and I think Love Child beers have been world class examples of sours. So, bourbon barrel aging does work with some styles you wouldn't think would work.

34. Final gravity.

35. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (425) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

I am hoping this is a joke. There is "some people think it's bad" and "seriously undrinkable". This falls into the latter category.

WestSideAmish likes this.
  36. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I think a barrel aged eisbock could be interesting.

37. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (595) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

Barrel Aged Coffee Stout is also something I would drink. I'd consider adding chocolate malt and cacao nibs as well.

38. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

Mmmmm...how about a cherry cordial stout...cherries...nibs...bourbon...hell yeah.

39. KingBiscuit

KingBiscuit Savant (440) Illinois May 30, 2005

After having tried Doom, I would stay away from barrel aged IIPA's. I know I am in the minority here but I could not finish the bottle, a rare event. Love Founders overall but this one is not for me. Tried pawning it off on my wife - after having a fairly large sip, she told me she was going to eat a few cat treats to get the taste out of her mouth:p FBS on the other hand is a fantastic example of a barrel aged beer. Also agree with poster above; cheery cordial stout sounds great.

40. spicoli00

spicoli00 Advocate (710) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

Having been to fobab a couple a two, tree times, if the barrel aging is done right, many styles can taste phenomenal after barrel treatment.

WestSideAmish likes this.