1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by icetrauma, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomHouTX

TomHouTX Aficionado (140) Texas Dec 7, 2012

There is also a Spec's, Kroger and HEB close to that Shell station. I have had good luck with all those places in the past.
  2. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Exactly. I agree with what you and DanzBorin are saying. The barrels are not as up front and center as it was. I think that is why I like it more. Much more integrated with this new blend. So much so, I don't think this will age all that well. It won't go downhill, but no reason to, in my mind, hold on to these just for aging purposes.
  3. champ103

No, the base has not changed, but I think they blend the barrels.
  4. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (465) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Yeah I think they use a blend of Buffalo Trace and Makers Mark. I think the better batches have more Buffalo Trace.
  5. HopAG

HopAG Savant (475) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Azzy is that you?
    BeanBone and BruceBruce like this.
  6. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (315) Texas Aug 22, 2012

Yeah, I live in the area so I know the places you are talking about because I frequent them often also. If I was home I would have checked all those places myself, and I would have been all over Houston too. But since I have to rely on her to do it I only ask her to go to one store. She wouldn't be willing to drive to multiple locations. Thanks for the heads up though.
  7. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Savant (365) Texas Aug 16, 2012

D&Q tweeted that they are out
  8. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Pretty much everyone is out. Places are blowing through much larger quantities faster than Fra-gee-lay or Badacious.
  9. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I was able to pick up a bottle at Shell.. Charles figures it will all be gone in a couple of hours.. there were seven or eight left.
  10. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

HEB Fwood wasn't expecting it anytime today.. maybe later in the week.
  11. Disco Kroger had 36 bottles left on the shelf at 5:30 pm with no limit at $13.43 each.....

Hollywood Kroger also has tons, with no limits either
  12. JohnBender

JohnBender Savant (425) Texas Apr 20, 2012

Hubbell still has a case and a half. $13.99 a pop.
  13. tjmodica

tjmodica Savant (325) Texas Oct 2, 2007

This batch is infected or maybe affected, their is no need to seek this beer out.;)
    Azzy, Ford, champ103 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Daemose

Daemose Savant (440) Texas Oct 3, 2011

I'm jealous.
  15. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

HEB on Dunlavy gets it tomorrow also Krogers on West Gray
  16. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

If anyone has an extra or two I'd like to work something out. I've got some Bruery RS offerings, Disdident. Looking for $4$. I'm in Austin.
  17. BruceBruce

Where is this Disco Kroger you speak of, who doesn't love shopping and bell bottoms
  18. BruceBruce

So after quick trips to Specs downtown, Whole Foods Waugh, HEB Bunker Hill (they didn't have any), D&Q (saw a silver eagle van and talked to the guy who just dropped off some at Bunker Hill), back to Bunker Hill (they argued that they didn't have it I told them polity to check again its here, it was....) Kroger Bunker Hill, then back to HEB Dunlavy (told them they had it to check again, they didn't) and home. Made out pretty good, happy about it and just popped a top and it is great. I do like the previous much more Bourbon forward version better, but I truly think this beer will top the SW beers in rating for sure. Might be the one to put us finally on the map.....
  19. BruceBruce

I got you if nobody steps up, was waiting to see what the new reviews for this beer are I don't plan to open anymore bottles just fill growlers to drink it myself. But it is good and I think this should trade better then any JK
  20. JohnBender

Is there any info on Fun 004?
  21. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

22. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Savant (365) Texas Aug 16, 2012

Yeah, I hear it sucks. ;)
  23. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

I've heard rumors of Wine Barrel Aged Barn Burner, Bourbon Rodeo Clown, and Bourbon Krunkin Pumpkin
    HopAG and JohnBender like this.
  24. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Keep Lagunitas out of this thread. :D

Managed to score 2 bottles. 1 for now and 1 to cellar. Had to go cheap for post holiday reasons and reserve some cash if/when Abyss shows up.
  25. icetrauma

Sounds interesting. Not sure a Bourbon Rodeo Clown sounds appealing though. Bourbon or Rum Krunkin would be awesome. And not a saison fan so no Barn Burner for me. Well, I might get 1 bottle.
  26. champ103

I have not had it, but Wine Barrel Aged Barn Burner will be showing up at some of the Karback tap takeovers around town. If it has not already been at the downtown Saucer.
  27. wsnich

Yeah, but it may be FUN 004. Sorry, should have clarified more.
    champ103 likes this.
  28. JohnBender

29. icetrauma

No bombers to my knowledge.
  30. wsnich

This coming Monday from what I've been told.
  31. BruceBruce

What did you think of it, haven't tried it myself
  32. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (350) Texas May 17, 2012

The chardonnay barrel aged Barn Burner is REALLY good. Better than Bodacious IMHO. The chardonnay totally transforms this beer. It was at Hay Merchant several weeks back. I'll be really excited if this turns out to be FUN 004.
    HopAG likes this.
  33. icetrauma

Had it on growler from D&Q, when he had taps, and I thought it was ok. Good smokey flavor. Not to heavy and really enjoyable. As far as the double bock portion of it, I thought it was a little thin and lacked in flavor.
  34. champ103

I love Pontificator. I think it has an excellent balance of bread and biscuit flavors, sweetness, and smoke. Most American made Dopplebocks just taste like caramel malt and cloying sweetness. Basically, not so alcoholic versions of Samichlaus, which is horrid IMO.
  35. TexasJeep

TexasJeep Zealot (95) Texas Sep 11, 2007

Went to Kroger tonight. I made an Azzy out of myself. Scored a twelve pointer. ;)
    BruceBruce likes this.
  36. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

A friend of mine in Houston saw a cat... at Kroger... with a full twelve pointer of Hellfighter.
    FUNKPhD, Texas_Speed and HopAG like this.
  37. tjmodica

tjmodica Savant (325) Texas Oct 2, 2007

Oh come on Dave
  38. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Sadly its probably true. No limited release in Houston lasts more than a few hours anymore. It's getting to where it's near impossible.

Sadly it seems that for every 5 people who cant find it, somebody gets a twelve pointer.

I hope karma comes around.
  39. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Can we now pass the torch and change the verb of "buying all the very limited release beer" to "Jeep'd?" :)
    Texas_Speed likes this.
  40. bleeng

bleeng Aficionado (245) Texas Aug 16, 2005

I think I would have kept that to myself Dave.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.