1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by icetrauma, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azzy

Azzy Savant (290) Texas Jul 16, 2012

You beat me to it, I was going to say let the Azzy jokes begin. And No, I scored just 4 bottles. Had a co worker mule for me at Specs Midtown.
  2. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Works for me. Sadly I'm sure it's not the only case of a drive by Jeeping!
  3. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (475) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Those 3 coming soon bottles intrigue me. Guessing they are regular Hellfigter, Barn Burner and Weekend Warrior. Or something brand new...
  4. HopAG

HopAG Savant (475) Texas Sep 22, 2012

THIS! That beer blew me away!

Although word around the Karbachsssss is that Makers Mark Hellfighter with Cherries might show up in bombers sometime this year. I will Azzy every single bottle of this!
    icetrauma likes this.
  5. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I hope you guys in Houston already picked up your bottles, luckily I've already got a trade setup.

My friend works for their distributor and saw this guy following trucks. Apparently Karbach has a new fan:

[​IMG]
    BruceBruce, BeanBone, FUNKPhD and 7 others like this.
  6. HopAG

That guy looks familiar, I know I've seen him somewhere before!
  7. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I hear he's a big Craigslist seller.
  8. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (315) Texas Aug 22, 2012

Thanks for the reminder. I have been forgetting to get on Craigslist and flag the ridiculous beer posts.
    soultrain19 and HopAG like this.
  9. HopAG

Something fun to do during the break!
  10. Wayne17

Wayne17 Savant (325) Texas Jan 8, 2013

called 5 places today and it seems everyone sold out in less than a day. I, personally, would love to be able to buy one from CL as a last alternative just to actually have a chance to try it! but thats just me i guess.
  11. Texas_Speed

I haven't seen much Karbach on CL just Saint Arnold's mostly. No matter how many times they are flagged people keep posting them back up, so you will still have a chance to buy them. Just be aware that you are going to be paying at least 2 - 3 times what retail is. People put beer on CL to make money, not to share it with the community.
  12. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

I wouldn't buy off cl. I would just offer up something to trade and I'm sure someone on here would be willing.
    Texas_Speed likes this.
  13. GregSVT

GregSVT Savant (475) Texas Jul 1, 2009

Anybody with extra bottles? I have Bruery and other stuff to trade...message me. :)
  14. DanzBorin

right now, no, but I'll let you know if I can find any extra... this is a tough grab in Houston right now. Most places sold out in a matter of hours.
    UHCougar12 likes this.
  15. RJC

RJC Aspirant (40) Texas Jan 5, 2013

If you're still looking...I just got a bottle from the HEB on Dunlavy and Alabama. They have them in the back.
  16. HopAG

You guys in Houston keep forgetting that you still have a chance to try it on draft!

[​IMG]

This is probably what will be on tap +1 more

[​IMG]
  17. Wayne17

Wayne17 Savant (325) Texas Jan 8, 2013

I am honestly ok with that, someone took the day off of work and bought beer that sold out in a matter of hours, I was never going to get one anyhow. if I'm willing to pay $25 why shouldn't i be able to buy it from someone who wants to sell? I don't horde beer, I buy 1 or 2 and enjoy them. So i really never have anything to trade. having said that, I am fairly new to "beer hunting" in general. I very much enjoy a good stout beer, but I don't enjoy the hunt sadly. I think it comes from years and years of record collecting which is just as cut throat as "beer hunting" it seems. haha!
  18. HopAG

You sir make me sad, i for one love the thrill of the hunt!

Just when all hope is lost that you will absolutely never find Beer X, SUDDENLY there it is! Hiding in a forgotten case, in a random shelf, or being guarded behind an old hag at a counter! It is during these small victories that the beer tastes even better!

Beer hunting is half of the fun!
    TomHouTX, UHCougar12 and Texas_Speed like this.
  19. Texas_Speed

I can respect that. I don't horde beer either, I buy a couple for myself and family to enjoy and that is it. Like I said, they are constantly getting placed on CL so you should still have a chance to find one. But I agree with UHCougar that you would be better off trying to find someone on here that is willing to help you out. There are some really great guys on here. I have been fortunate to get assistance on Pumpkinator and Bodacious thanks to the generosity of others.
    Honestly, if I had more than just one bottle I would be willing to help you out. I know that some HEB's get there supply a little later than others so you haven't missed this yet. I know the HEB on Fairmont in Pasadena had Bodacious and Fra-gee-lay long after others were sold out. Just keep an eye on these boards and you should be able to locate some.
  20. Texas_Speed

Well said.
  21. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (445) Texas Oct 12, 2006

For a few years, yeah. Then, when you're a war-weary veteran, with many beer battles under your belt, sometimes you just want a sure thing without all the drama ;)
    Ford likes this.
  22. DanzBorin

I'm getting there. I don't mind putting in some time, but last night I drove to 4 different stores and nada dang thing after the first one.

I have more fun shopping when I go up north. I don't have to look for a needle in a haystack. lol
  23. Texas_Speed

The Spec's in Pearland tweeted they have Hellfighter.
  24. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (445) Texas Oct 12, 2006

Yeah, I enjoy building relationships with retailers and visiting, but when you're going into your 15th store of the week after working all day it can be a bit of a drag. Oh well, beats the old days when we didn't have any beer worth chasing!
  25. DanzBorin

This is true.

Today I chatted with my "work" Specs beer person and the Ben E Keith rep for about half an hour.
  26. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

This is true and after the kill, finding of the beer, I feel joyous and yet sad at the same time. Kinda funny.

HEB Fairmont still had Fragelee as of yesterday.

And good info obtained?
  27. Philly22

Philly22 Disciple (60) Texas Jul 12, 2011

HEB in Katy (Fry & 99) had five cases at 4:30.
  28. DanzBorin

Just that Sucks is close. Possibly tomorrow at Specs.
  29. mattchow

mattchow Savant (370) Texas Jun 24, 2012

In the open or did you have to ask for it?
  30. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Seriously, build relationships now, so later when x beer is released you can make a phone call or send a text and the beer will be yours. Its not difficult because most of the beer guys around town care more about the beer and relationships than their store making an extra $15.
  31. Philly22

Philly22 Disciple (60) Texas Jul 12, 2011

In the open, between the wine tables in the back of beer/wine section.
  32. mattchow

mattchow Savant (370) Texas Jun 24, 2012

ugh, the one place I didn't look lol. The beer guy there is horrible!
  33. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

SOme are saying this bottled version is really "hot" in the alcohol department.. if you get it, you might want to let it age a bit...

Also... looks like Pontificator bottles are hitting stores.
  34. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Savant (365) Texas Aug 16, 2012

Amen to that! Hoping the new Whole Foods gets a guy/gal who knows what they are doing and will get what customers want They better have taps!
  35. TexasJeep

TexasJeep Zealot (95) Texas Sep 11, 2007

Apparently I used the wrong emoticon? I was just talking shit. I scored 4 in 2.5 hours.
  36. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

I wasn't even looking, and a bottle of this made its way to my hands. I'm really not sure how it's so hard for some people to get beers some times.
  37. jbeezification

From what I hear they are getting a damn good beer 'person'
  38. jbeezification

First store (only) I went to today had 2 cases and I only asked to check, I was looking for Commercial Suicide and they had it. Apparently there is still a lot to be distributed and a lot of stores still have it.
  39. boogercrack

boogercrack Savant (340) Texas May 24, 2012

shit i didn't think it was "hot" at all.

but i drink more bourbon than beer... sooo
    icetrauma and Ford like this.
  40. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Savant (255) Texas Jul 12, 2012

Got 4, friend got me three more.

ty friendwhomuledforme.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.