1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Barleywine

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by xnicknj, Jan 15, 2013.

1. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

"Here’s some interesting news coming out of Goose Island today as a new Bourbon County brew will be hitting the streets at some level. No longer just limited to stouts, it looks like we’ll now see at least a limited keg release of Bourbon County Barleywine Ales. Ironically enough the Barleywine matches exactly the Bourbon County Stout’s 15% ABV. Stay tuned for more details."

http://mybeerbuzz.blogspot.com/2013/01/goose-island-to-release-bourbon-county.html

I'm guessing this is related to that Goose Island twitter post from October?

https://twitter.com/GooseIsland/status/253575398145814528

2. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

This could be very good.

3. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Choo choo... I hear it comin!

4. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Second coming of King Henry? Sign me up!

JuniperJesus and ZX6Chris like this.
  5. Prince Henry?

ceeg, mschofield, DmanGTR and 8 others like this.
  6. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

I wonder if they looked at the success and popularity of King Henry and said, "Hey we can do this with other former BCBS barrels too, not just the Pappy 23 barrels." Because that would make a lot of sense.

That said, I was not trying to assume or claim that this barleywine is being aged in former BCBS barrels . . . but does anyone have information that might otherwise suggest something like that?

Edit: looks like tewaris and peensteen beat me to the same general idea.
    Edit (2nd): hey, 4-packs of BCBBW would be pretty neat, too.

dvelcich and BedetheVenerable like this.
  7. Me likey!

VonZipper likes this.
  8. Without the pappy barrels, this is just another shelf turd.

Sarlacc83, Mavajo, Schwantz and 6 others like this.
  9. xnicknj

the label they posted is for a keg, so i'm wondering if this will see bottles/full distro or what. tried googling a few things but couldnt find much more info than what i posted.

10. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Ima wait n see on this one.

SteveKotajarvi likes this.
  11. I like the way this sounds!!!

Willbfun likes this.
  12. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I really hope this will be made available in bottle form.

BedetheVenerable likes this.
  13. shuajw

shuajw Savant (495) Georgia Aug 12, 2007

Batman has Robin, M has Arctic Devil, and now King Henry has...

:)

14. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Thank you InBev

15. Sounds like a winner to me...I am in.

16. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

So is it assumed this is aged in used BCBS barrels? Either way, where is the line to board the hype train?

17. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (285) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

I just popped a boner ! ! !! ! ! !

CANT WAIT ! ! ! !! *&*&_*&_&_)&U_(*E&@#$^#$R^#G&

18. ROBSTARR

ROBSTARR Savant (370) Michigan Aug 31, 2009

I'm guessing with BCBS going year round now that they probably have made quite a bit of this and hopefully we will see a pretty big distribution as well. Probably taking BCBS place as a seasonal specialty. Least thats what I'm hoping for haha

19. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (735) California Oct 2, 2006

Sounds amazing!

20. CLCardinal84

CLCardinal84 Savant (320) Illinois Jan 29, 2012

Hot damn, I needed some good news this week. This is an awesome idea and I love me a barrel aged barleywine.

Boomblaze likes this.
  21. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (385) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

This is InBev marketing at its finest (or worst if that's your point of view).

They have a very popular brand, i.e. "Bourbon County" brand. Up until this point, there has really only been a stout released under the "Bourbon County" brand. Why not capitalize on this brand with other styles of beer?

Me and my hard earned dollars are in for this (since I don't believe that InBev is drowning puppies, or something else that would be considered immoral).

22. I will happily dispose of said turd.

23. Monsone

Monsone Savant (350) Illinois Jun 5, 2006

At the Black Friday event the brewers said (at the time) that they had 700 used BCS barrels filled with barleywine.

24. siege06nd

siege06nd Advocate (570) Virginia Dec 29, 2009

Based off of the label and the aforementioned tweets, I don't think there is any doubt that this barleywine is aged in BCBS barrels. The real question is whether it is the same base barleywine used for King Henry. If so, then all of you who didn't get a chance to try King Henry can take solace knowing you soon will.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it's not the Pappy 23/Rare barrels, but honestly, no one will be able to tell the difference. This is amazing news. Hooray for Goose Island listening to its customers!

This InBev thing is starting to pay off....

25. I agree that not being pappy 23 will change much of anything.

1up and siege06nd like this.
  26. As many have been saying for the last year, AB would be crazy not to release another King Henry, and this is essentially it. Yes, it may be slightly different, and yes, it's not going to be called King Henry. But in spirit, this is likely going to end up as the same beer...

Beerandraiderfan and siege06nd like this.
  27. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Hopefully this holds up better than KH.

ehammond1, SubpoenaDeuces and yamar68 like this.
  28. Douggo

Douggo Aficionado (235) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

Bourbon County BudWeiser?
    Black Crown BarleyWine?

Don't mind me, just being silly over here. BCBS Light Lime...

29. xnicknj

i take it you aren't referring to the beer's trade value?

ehammond1 and FUNKPhD like this.
  30. MarcatGSB

New, dedicated Matilda fermenters = plenty of room for BOMB ass big Goose beers. Weee.

31. Isn't that the fun of cellaring, not to necessarily make a great beer better, but to see how it changes over time?
    At least, that's what all the cellaring guys keep telling me.

forrestbetts likes this.
  32. sherm1016

sherm1016 Savant (385) Wisconsin Aug 10, 2009

Both of those would severely devalue the brand. Assuming the folks at InBev understand why the "Bourbon County" brand has value, I would think they would be against anything that would devalue the brand. But I could see them making a Bourbon County Brand Wee Heavy, or some other style that could stand up to the barrel.

33. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Prince Albert!

rgilbert, ABisonEgo, mdvatab and 2 others like this.
  34. WILL THIS ONE BE CANNED?!

35. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Mayan gold?

DrAwkward82, raymo55 and dsal89 like this.
  36. MarcatGSB

Most likely not canned, but 90% of the time it will be infected! ZING

SadMachine and JohnB87 like this.
  37. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Shut your mouth! Seriously though, I wonder if Goose will let Jared take the recipe - that beer cannot die.

DrAwkward82 and dvelcich like this.
  38. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (340) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

I think it's an awesome idea to branch out the brand. It's also a genius idea to find a way to second-use the spent BCBS barrels if that is indeed what they're doing.

As far as it being essentially the same as KH, I disagree. It will be a great brew, and even if they use the same base beer (Prince Henry), the barrels for KH, aside from being Pappy 23s, housed BCBS for two years. I imagine that would allow much more BCBS character to be absorbed into the wood and then transferred to the Prince Henry. KH is still going to be a special treat, but I'm really excited for this and hope it does make its way into bottles (12 ouncers, please).

39. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Put me in the group that believes Rare was good because of the 2 year aging, not the PvW. Both Rare and King Henry could be made again using the same aging schedule in NON ELITE OMG WALEZZ BRO Heaven Hill barrels.