1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Barleywine

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by xnicknj, Jan 15, 2013.

1. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Where did 700 barrel's even stem from? I think that number is absolutely absurd...
  2. Meet

3. soughtbygod

soughtbygod Savant (280) California Apr 27, 2011

700 used bcbs barrels with the amount of bcbs they made this year i dont think that is absurd
  4. MarcatGSB

Yet, the information available now is saying that THIS Barleywine is aged in bourbon barrels, not used BCBS barrels. And even if they have 700 barrels of Barleywine, it doesn't mean it's ALL ready for harvesting. The sea of green technique is world renowned for a continued supply of...yep...green. For a reason.
    guillemiro and Gonzoillini like this.
  5. Azrael

Azrael Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013

I love how there's always some reason for these big releases to be considered rare.
  6. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (300) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

I just hope its another beer that is local, really great, and impossible to get. I thrive on frustration (and Im not even a Cubs fan).
    Durb777, taxman and Mjmoser like this.
  7. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

walez, bro
  8. Whalers gonna whale.
  9. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Couldn't agree more. KH won our blind barleywine tasting this past weekend. Such a phenomenal beer.
  10. PeteB28

PeteB28 Aspirant (45) Illinois Oct 21, 2011

From one of my sources who looked into this;

Happy New Year. This is one of our innovation beers, however I’m not sure if it will be bottled or stay in Kegs. We put it into barrels late November early December, so it won’t be released until next fall. I will keep you posted when I know more information.

Thanks!

Erika Thieme
    Key Account Manager - West
    Goose Island Beer Co
    POTABLE83 likes this.
  11. craw4d

craw4d Aficionado (115) Illinois Jul 6, 2009

HAAA - Prince Albert would be hilarious!
    jebsinger and JohnB87 like this.
  12. BDub81

BDub81 Aficionado (125) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

I'm going to have to open a bottle of King Henry in celebration!
  13. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

It's pretty easy to pick out King Henry in a blind lineup since it barely resembles almost any barleywine that's ever been brewed (barrel-aged and otherwise). Even its closest contemporary would be a difficult comparison (MoaS, Abacus, etc). It's so incredibly barrel-influenced that I'm hard-pressed to even consider it a barleywine at this point (stylistically, I'd put it somewhere between a Strong Ale and an Old Ale).

There's a reason that it's been exploited as such a superlative. Not because it's a legitimate representation of what a classic barleywine should look/smell/taste like, but simply because it's a fantastic beer regardless of style classification.

EDIT: With that said, I'm truly eager to find out if this particular brew will be a more accurate representation of the style. I'd personally like to see less of a barrel influence as compared to King Henry as it seemed to have entirely dominated the base beer.....though, with the potential use of BCBS barrels (if that truly is the case), I won't be holding my breath.
    steebo777, Retail1LO and siege06nd like this.
  14. MisterGrizz

MisterGrizz Savant (280) Texas Jan 8, 2011

You're one of those guys that chases down the beer trucks and demands all that's on board at gunpoint aren't you?
  15. MisterGrizz

It was a stretch for me to use it too, because I'm still standing on the boarding platform for the hype train for King Henry that left long ago. Never got to try it. So using 'jizztastic' here was definitely spurred by my lack of King Henry! :confused:
  16. So we looking at Fall of 2013? Thats way to long to wait:(
  17. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

...in a can.
  18. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (375) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

No, im the guy who had a hard time getting Bourbon County Coffee this year.

Im the same guy who didnt get a single bottle of Cherry Rye. I live 20 minutes outside Chicago

Does it make sense for people in Texas to get it over me!!!!!!!!!!!? I PAY COOK COUNTY TAXES DAMNIT
  19. MisterGrizz

Well, maybe InBev will solve this problem? You're right, it does NOT make sense to send them whalez down here as limited as they are, but it doesn't mean I'm not happy about it. :)
  20. JulianC

JulianC Savant (335) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

21. if possible, try to arrange an eclipse flight with some friends - even just 2-3 versions. you'll pick out differences based on the barrel.
  22. Monsone

Monsone Savant (350) Illinois Jun 5, 2006

I did the full one last year. BUT the majority of the Eclipses aren't apple to apple comparisons like I said (i.e. Bourbon to Bourbon with the same number of years in wood). You may be able to pick out the slight spiciness of the rye if you compare it to a wheated bourbon of the same aging times. You could be able to see a difference of a corn whiskey vs a bourbon. I also would assume that 50/50 is specifically choosing casks that have different aging times and different spirits with the point being to make them taste different. I don't know for sure either (and I highly doubt it) that they age every type of Eclipse the exact same length of time.

My point would be that if you have a Elijah Craig 12 year and a Old Fitz 12 year that you aged the same beer in the barrel for the exact same amount of time, the difference would be imperceptible to the vast majority of people.
  23. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

24. Sweet!
    dsal89 likes this.
  25. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Glad I was wrong, never would'a guessed 4-packs. Thank You InBev
    yojimbo1 and IMSPEAKNOENGLISH like this.
  26. MarcatGSB

Mother of pearl! Yes, yes, yes!
    JohnB87 likes this.
  27. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Anyone elses pants tight right now?
  28. Hopefully it actually clocks in at 15% ABV as it says on the label, so it doesn't get pulled from MN distro like King Henry did!
  29. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

I look forward to seeing the ISO FT for this one.

FT: BCBBW, ISO: Souls... :(
    jglowe77, hoppusmaxximus and Photekut like this.
  30. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (275) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

Mine were on page one.
    dsal89 likes this.
  31. siege06nd

siege06nd Advocate (520) Virginia Dec 29, 2009

Notice the color of the label and the detail on the corners. Leaves little doubt this is the little brother we all wanted for Henry.
    MarkIntihar and dvelcich like this.
  32. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

But this isn't Cook County. This is Bourbon County.
    stevegoz, gpawned, dsal89 and 2 others like this.
  33. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

Agreed with the first part. I hope this is more like KH. Love it, hate barley wines!
  34. We won't get any.....
    jonbeer89 likes this.
  35. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

They're going to send it all to San Diego. Sorry guys.
  36. i'd want confirmation that this is made in second-use bcbs barrels before linking it to king henry, though the artwork is definitely a visual cue.

i'd hate to find out that those guys insisting "king henry is waliest never-to-be-made-again-bro wale" were wrong.

(how's that, yamar68?)

Gosox8787 and siege06nd like this.
  37. MarcatGSB

The release information states that it's made the same way as BCBS, in spent bourbon barrels. I've read nothing to state it was aged in spent BCBS casks.
  38. that's how i read it too... standard barrel-aged barleywine. i'm actually saying we should exercise caution before calling it king henry ii.
  39. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Sure does seem like it's not being aged in used BCBS barrels, though we do know that they're doing that too. It'll be interesting if it ends up pretty similar to KH anyway.