1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Barleywine

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by xnicknj, Jan 15, 2013.

1. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (285) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

April? Awesome!!!!

Anybody else think that the pictures we saw in October of barrels being filled with barleywine are deceiving??
    If they were only then filling barrels for this April release, the beer would only be in the barrel for 6months.

I would bet they've had this in barrels for perhaps more than a year now?

2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I know the old BCBS bottles stated "Aged in barrels for 100 days" or something along those lines...so 6 months isn't surprising.

3. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

True, but it would probably be less than 6 months -- this is a beer that would need time in the bottle to condition, too.

4. MarcatGSB

Totally, and I think we've learned one thing from GI releases, if it says April, expect May for shipments to start.

5. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Bramble is one people either love or don't care for it. I am the latter since it s more a fruit beer than a stout. IMHO

6. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (255) Colorado Oct 18, 2009

Oops, I just woke up. SOMEHOW fell asleep reading. Earlier I was reading a thread about whiskey barrels here on BA (barrel advocate). What are you all talking about now?

7. Philly82785

Philly82785 Savant (265) Minnesota Dec 17, 2008

Thats what I've heard, but I think the age may give it a more stout-like quality. I guess I'll wait and see. After I get the Barleywine of course. The way I see it, it can only get less fruity.

effyeaAB likes this.
  8. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

If they're aiming to replicate King Henry (as we can safely assume they are) it would be barrel aged for 9 months.

9. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (310) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

Yeah, Im sure now that Bud owns them they will set the bar high and age the beer even longer. To do differently would only make sense economically and im sure they're not letting money drive their decisions. o_O

10. PoopChute69

PoopChute69 Initiate (0) Poland Oct 24, 2012

That would be a great point if the Goose Island that brewed and released King Henry wasn't also owned by Bud at the time. o_O

zach60614 and Bay01 like this.
  11. buzze40

Oh, you mean the second release of King Henry? The first being in 2010..o_O.

12. PoopChute69

I'm not sure what you're getting at...

Yes, I was referring to the first bottle release in late 2011; a beer that was both:
    • aged for 9 months in Rare barrels
    • released under AB InBev ownership
    When you say the first release in 2010, are you referring to Prince Henry?

13. buzze40

Prince Henry wasnt barrel aged.

Taken from Ratebeer, but the same in a couple sources...

Note: The original release of this beer (2010) was done in regular bourbon barrels. The 2011 and bottle release saw the use of the barrels formerly used for Bourbon County Rare. We are not seperating these as I do not believe the bottles will clarify this. The original release also saw an 11% ABV, with the bottling seeing closer to 13.4%

My point is to the original BA comment that the picture showing bw going into barrels in Oct was bogus and it had to be in barrels longer. I would disagree and guess that given the option with this new beer (not called KH) to barrel age it as long or longer than King Henry and make an equal or even more deeply barreled beer or, for my snarky implied economic reasons or whatever, age it for less -- I believe Bud will go for less.

14. PoopChute69

Fair point. I guess I'm just gonna give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. So far - in my opinion - Bud hasn't cut any corners in the GI barrel program, I thought the expansion was done in a very appropriate way.

15. buzze40

They will, however, make a special release batch that is aged more than a year, but it will only be available at a special beer store in DeKalb.

16. buzze40

But its a Bourbon County turd!

ISO: BCST

17. is a release date/period known at all?

18. MarcatGSB

April yo, April!

19. Via Beerpulse "Last week, label approval came in for Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Barleywine in 12 oz. bottles meaning the beer is cleared to be sold nationally in that format, state-by-state rules notwithstanding.":)

pschul4 likes this.
  20. where did you get that? I see the "april?" post, but that seem to come from now where.

21. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

Atlas1977 and MarcatGSB like this.
  22. so the question is.....how different was the 2010 king henry that was aged in regular bourbon barrels from the 2011 version that was bottled and aged in the pvw 23 year old barrels that were first used for rare??? Because depending on the type of barrels used to age the 2010 version, this new bourbon county barleywine could be the same recipe as king henry, with a new name though, but essentially be the 2010 version of King Henry (or similar to the the 2010 version depending on what barrels were used then and what barrels are being used for this "new" bourbon county barleywine).

23. buzze40

..and how long it is left in the barrels which was the big topic of discussion. A zoom on the picture from GI showing them filling the barrels shows those as Heaven Hill barrels. I think even if its 6 months vs 9 and a different barrel you will be getting something akin to KH. Of course thats assuming they use the same base barleywine recipe which is also not known...

24. yeah its tough to say...given the popularity of KH....if this new bourbon county barleywine is the same recipe as KH I'm not sure why they wouldn't just call it KH again....unless they think using the same recipe as KH, aging it in heaven hill barrels for however long, and then calling it bourbon county barleywine is more marketable because of the popularity of the bourbon county line...i dunno...seems like both names are easy sells.

25. MarcatGSB

Well, KH was aged in ex-Rare barrels, this is aged in bourbon barrels. Seems like a different overall product to me (without tasting it obviously).

26. buzze40

Read above. Only the second round of KH was in rare barrels. 2010 was not. If you believe what goose island is saying, this will only be aged 6 months where KH was 9 months so not the same no mo

27. MarcatGSB

After reading the post I quoted, when he said the "popularity" of KH, I assumed he was referring to the KH that was released in bottles...

28. all speculation. 1 thing shouldn't be overlooked. the KH that aged in former Rare barrels probably needs more time in those barrels than a run in the mill, average "bourbon barrel". the Rare barrels were going to give more subtly likely requiring more time, because they already gave 23 summers of wood to the whiskey they originally matured, then were refilled with ale & thus further worn before KH's entry.

29. buzze40

Just sayin' it doesnt have to be in Rare barrels to be called KH.

Also note the ambiguous answer from goose in the twitter feed....

Q: Do you guys ever bottle/sell the b'wine before it turns into KH?
    A: We have yet to do that.

So definately not a no. They haven't done it... yet.

JerryM1984 likes this.
  30. MarcatGSB

Well at that point, there was no such thing as Rare...

31. I was just alluding to the point that, assuming the base barleywine for King Henry is Prince Henry, and then once it has been bourbon barrel aged in any type of bourbon barrel its now called King Henry....that's how I understand it based on the 2010 release of King Henry being Prince Henry aged in bourbon barrels and the 2011 bottles being Prince Henry aged in PVW 23 previously used to age Rare....IF this new bourbon county barleywine is Prince Henry aged in Heaven Hill barrels, then its King Henry....just speculating...the bourbon county barleywine could be a totally different barleywine recipe

32. King Henry was a barleywine aged in barrels that had Bourbon County Brand Stout in it previously, and Pappy 23 in it prior to that, correct?

The upcoming barleywine is not coming from barrels that previously held Bourbon County brand stout, and bourbon prior to that in it, correct?

It's a barleywine that's going straight into bourbon barrles, yes?

I've always wondered how much of the flavor imparted in King Henry was from the Bourbon County Brand Stout, which had been in the barrel more recently than the Pappy 23. I'm wondering too how much a difference there will be if the same barleywine comes out of a barrel that had BCBS, and any decent bourbon in it prior.

MarcatGSB and siege06nd like this.
  33. This is what everyone seems to be missing. Regardless of whether the base barleywine they use is the same as the base for KH, it will not taste anything like the KH that was bottled since the barrels were not previously used to age BCBS irrespective of them being PVW23 or Heaven Hill Barrels. Having been lucky enough to enjoy several bottles of KH, it has a huge stout influence from the Rare, and IMO this is what made it so great and set it apart from others. While I am sure this beer will be great and anticipate it's release, those expecting it to taste like the KH will be disappointed.

34. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (300) Illinois May 1, 2012

Really?
    It won't taste ANYTHING like it?

Please...

35. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Somebody with some common sense is posting in this thread? What's up with that?

The fact that King Henry was basically a stout/barleywine hybrid was what made it amazing.

36. Looking for it now

37. xanok

xanok Savant (415) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/exaggeration?s=t

For those of us with working palates, they will be similar in that they will both taste like bourbon barrel aged ales. The similarities will likely end there.

38. This will be a good beer I am sure. Thus I'm looking forward to its release. Regardless of how similar it is to other releases. Even if its not a retread I'm still excited.

Also. A note on the barrel aging of beers thing. Anyone ever stop to think that maybe EVERYTHING about the entire process has a say in what the beer turns out like? From the wood of the barrel to the age of the distillate in the barrel to the place it was stored in the original warehouse to the brand it ended up being to the base beer to how the base beer was stored and where and how long it sat in the barrel. It's everything. It all matters. All of it. Otherwise we wouldn't have Four Roses or Buffalo Trace or Heaven Hill. It would all be Bourbon made by the bourbon company of America and there would be one bottle you could buy off the shelf.

Anyway. BCBBW!

yojimbo1 and hoppusmaxximus like this.