1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Barrels Throughout the Years

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by aasher, Feb 10, 2013.

1. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Can someone help me out and post the different bourbon barrels used for Bourbon County from year to year. I've seen it a million times but can't find it in google. Thanks!
  2. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

They've always used a variety of Heaven Hill barrels, not one specific brand. Blending also makes the point moot regardless.
    BoneyardBrewer likes this.
  3. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

They used Jim Beam barrels at least once.
  4. ColdPoncho

ColdPoncho Savant (455) Ohio Jan 9, 2009

And they may have used Pappy barrels for...06? (in addition to Rare)
  5. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

They only used pappy barrels for rare. Heaven hill for the rest.
    jegross2 likes this.
  6. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

7. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

That graph looks Gross as hell.
  8. aasher

Van Winkle was used in '07
  9. Yeah, I think that guy has proven himself an unworthy source.
    hannydawg and aasher like this.
  10. CityofBals

I should have said that they were not unblended. The pappy bottle's are a myth.
    Etan likes this.
  11. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Good lord not this sh#t again.
  12. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

the chart from GI says Pappy in '07, along w/ others. I don't give a shit either way, but look at the chart above
  13. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

14. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I'm a billygoat because of my beard.
    ravot, adamdd and jegross2 like this.
  15. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

I hear they used PVW in 2007 for one batch...

(edit: sarcasm)
    robwestcott and CityofBals like this.
  16. jegross2

This graph is inaccurate per Goose Island. The only PVW barrels used in BCS are for Rare.
    Brew33, ehammond1 and CityofBals like this.
  17. jegross2

"That Guy" was me relaying what I was told by another BA at the tasting.
    ehammond1 and CityofBals like this.
  18. CityofBals

That makes me feel a lot better. I was like 100% sure that it was fiction until I saw the (false) graph above.

Does this make me a worthy source now? I really want your approval.
  19. aasher

Then WHO made the graph?
  20. I don't think the graph has explicitly been disavowed. However, one of their communications guys answered the following questions last June (Ken's answers/comments in italics - my doing):

I am looking to trade in the near future for some vintage BCBS and I want to clear up a few things.

1. What is the specific bottling date/s for 2007 bCBS made in PvW barrels? Only Bourbon County Rare was aged in PVW barrels

2. What is the last year bottles used twist off caps? 2008

3. Was 2009 the only vintage that came in 22oz bottles? It was also on 12oz I assume? Yes, besides the variations, and it also came in 12 oz.

4. Are there any specific bottling dates from any vintages known to be infected? No

If you have any other noteworthy and nfo about vintage BCBS please leave it here, and thanks!

Also, we switched from Jim Beam barrels to Heaven Hill barrels in 2006
  21. There were also 2 batches in 2005....one in jan & one in oct....let that fester in yer brain!
    Gonzoillini likes this.
  22. jegross2

No idea, but GI employees have denied it's accuracy before. Look at it closer. It's also inverted on the time line, etc.
  23. jegross2

Sure. All Hail the City of Balls.
    tinypyramids and CityofBals like this.
  24. jegross2

The fact that there were multiple bottling dates, a day apart in 2007, does not seem surprising. It does not mean there may not have been just one batch, for example, bottled over multiple days. Given the power of branding and popularity of the PVW name, I am somewhat confident if there was any truth to the 2007 PVW rumor that it would have been confirmed by GI.

I have also been asked why I felt the two bottlings tasted different side by side by my own personal perception. I chalk it up to some combination of different storage conditions (the bottles were brought by different people) and the effect of external influence on perception.
  25. jegross2

Things to note:
    1. The X and Y axes of the graph are inverted.
    2. I do not believe that there exists a "21 year" PVW. They make a 10, 12 rye, 15, 20, 23, but no 21 to my knowledge (someone with more bourbon knowledge than I should chime in on this, cause I could be wrong).
    3. I've heard that BCS was bottled in 2003 (and aged in Jack Daniels) --- can someone confirm this? 2005 BCS labels were akin to the Icarus ones (blank white with typing in the corner)?
  26. CityofBals

There is also a 17 year family reserve (I think it's called eagle rare...), 13 year rye, 12 year non rye, and some other bottles for specific members of the family.
  27. jegross2

http://oldripvanwinkle.com/products/ Shows the 10, 12, 12 rye, 15, 20 and 23.

Ever reliable Wikipedia says:
    "appy Van Winkle's Family Reserve was formerly made from corn, rye, and barley malt, but now uses wheat in place of rye, and is aged in charred oak barrels. It is aged for 15, 20 or 23 years, which is considerably longer than the aging period for most bourbons. The 20 year is bottled at 90.4. The 15 year is bottled at 107 proof. The 23 year is bottled at 95.6 proof"
  28. CityofBals

Then they are missing the 17 eagle rare, 13 year rye, and some bottles that were never "for sale."
  29. jegross2

This? http://www.eaglerare.com/17_year_old

If so, not related. Just the same current distillery (Buffalo Trace)
  30. CityofBals

31. MarcatGSB

Eagle Rare has always been a Buffalo Trace product...and is available in the 10 year Single Barrel and 17 Year from the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, and comes from BT's Mash Bill #1, which is a corn heavy, versus the wheat heavy (Weller and Pappy) mash #3.
    aasher likes this.
  32. jegross2

Pics? (Or it didnt happen)
  33. And what credibility do you have to say so?
    HugePrnceFan1999 likes this.
  34. aasher

There has never been a 21 year Van Winkle to my knowledge. Its impossible to tell if the intent was for that to be the 20 or 12 year.

that said, there is a Pappy Van Winkle 18 year. It has a red label and was made specifically for an upscale restaurant in New York. There is a bottle on display in the very small building that they do the bottling of their single barrels, hand picked by retail stores.
  35. A misprint in the YEAR of pappy is FAR more likely than misprinting pappy in there.
  36. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

2005 BCS labels were not like Icarus, they were the same as 06-08 except the year was blank on the neck label. The 03 BCS was the 'Icarus-type' label which was really just the backside of a Honkers Label with a little dot matrix label on the bottom and not released to the public.

#Str8GROSSIN
  37. Well, if there's a 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle, then it stands to reason that there are are barrels with Pappy that are 21 years old. Maybe the blenders tasted the 21-year barrels and felt that they weren't aging properly and did not want to use them two years down the road. Or maybe they age a little extra 21 year barrels and blend them into the 20 year old batch for some reason. A distillery's line-up of retail releases is the not necessarily the limit of what a distillery can or does produce on a regular basis.
  38. CityofBals

I might have hallucinated that memory, but I know for sure 12 and 17 exist. I guess I can add the red label 18 to the list of bottles I will never have.
  39. MarcatGSB

When a Distillery releases a whiskey with an age statement on it, that is the minimum age of whiskey contained in the bottle. So yes, there definitely are 21 year old barrels filled with Wheated mash from Buffalo Trace in their rick house.
  40. Unless you heard it from john hall its hearsay.