1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Barrels Throughout the Years

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by aasher, Feb 10, 2013.

1. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Thanks for the info. I've never had pre-06, so wouldnt know. IIRC, Sheffields had a bottle in their "haha, look what we have" fridge at one point.

2. jegross2

Not if the poster isnt from GI it isnt ;)

3. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Why is the Pappy BCS conversation continuing?

I hate you guys.

4. jegross2

Same reason that Jack Frost had a sequel.

vonnegut21 likes this.
  5. lurchingbeast

If I find out you were also responsible for Jack Frost 2, I swear....

6. I think the internet is a great place to find answers to questions I may have. I'll often stumble across opinions and have to sift through postings by those who themselves also don't really know the answer. There's a ton of that in this thread. Eagle Rare is Pappy?? Using "per Goose Island" as a source of (other) hearsay? Who and what is their affiliation?

Maybe I really will switch to RB.

7. jegross2

8. jegross2

Also, I was sent photos of what CityofBals is referring to. It's not Eagles Rare Bourbon.

9. tyee

tyee Aficionado (165) Illinois Jun 9, 2004

I believe the 2005 batches were bottled in January and August. As an aside, I preferred the January version.

10. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Because you are the heady bourbon source on BA, and can't handle all the misinformation, right?

There was a release in 1991 for Pappy 17 year 101 proof family reserve. They were only sold at one bar in Japan in 1991 and they are now extremely valuable, it doesn't surprise me that everyone didn't know about it. I don't want to dig through my old messages, but I'm pretty sure the bottles owner called it an Eagle Rare. Take it for what it's worth.

11. I mentioned, "those who themselves also don't really know the answer". You say now that you're pretty sure it goes by Eagle Rare. Do you mean this? Stitzel-Weller does not necessarily equate to Pappy. I don't know what you mean by "heady", but I know a small amount about bourbon and I really do dislike misinformation.

12. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (390) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

why was it even shut down? I saw the original post, and it seemed helpful to squash those who gravitate to rumor mills regarding beer. Jegross did a good thing reaching out to goose on twitter, what happened?

13. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

I find it extremely hard to give someone credit for trying to "squash" a rumor that he had the largest hand in creating (and perpetuating).

14. You are absolutely correct...& i agree..jan is better...probably the 43 year pappy barrels

15. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (390) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

oh, and the story unfolds. I really never got into the whole 07 pappy thing, so the backstory escapes me. Thanks for clearing that up

16. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

Wow, I always thought 'beer nerd' was a pejorative term but as I've been following this saga all I want to do is post a meme of Ogre saying "NEEERRRRDDDDSSSS." Can we move on to starting the hype train for Bourbon county barleywine?

arniepnminne likes this.
  17. lurchingbeast

I am really disappointed it was erased. I had some great posts in mind. :(

18. MarkIntihar

Gotcha. I think most people (myself included) take for granted that because we spend way too much time on this site and know the backstories to most everything that everyone else does too... :oops:

EdwardMilhouseRyerson likes this.
  19. I started the 2007 pvw rumor. did you know i'm utterly insane?

20. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

Creating? Not really. Perpetuating? Sure.

I had a hand in perpetuating it I guess given that I was the one that found that graph on an (some auction site) posting for '07 BCBS and posted it to BA. Did that guy create it? No clue. I still don't know what would drive someone to create that. I had heard the PVW rurmor long before finding that and know for a fact Jegross didn't start it.

The funny part was that after the picture was given exposure on here, the guy took down his posting and reposted it, praising how it was the super rare and amazing pappy bottling date of 07 BCBS. He had no problem selling it afterward.

robbiemoy13 and jegross2 like this.
  21. lurchingbeast

C'mon man.

22. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

Oh, I am not dense. He had financial motivation to do so, but I highly doubt he took the time to create something, albeit atrocious, using the same background texture design as the 4-packs and NOT say anything about the pappy bottling prior to the appearance of the picture on BA.

23. MarkIntihar

I'll take your word on the creating part. I just know that his blog was the source for the rumor mill to rev up on BA last year.

24. jegross2

My blog just posted what a different BA told me, and he's a much more reputable guy than me.

25. MarkIntihar

Fair enough. I'm just saying there's no denying the influence it had on the BA community in sending it into a frenzy over, ultimately, nothing.

26. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

To be fair, afterwards, he went on a frenzy of trades trying to get 07 bottles, not trade them away.

27. jegross2

Fair enough. I'm just trying to get the record set straight at this point is all. I am not trying to spread misinformation.

Dontcounttoday and MarkIntihar like this.
  28. lurchingbeast

You tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.

29. atone315

atone315 Advocate (730) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

30. You guys know
    John Hall has a linked in profile. You can send him an email asking about this.

31. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

There is no fun in the truth. There is, however, much fun in seeing this continue to be a *thing*.

No gold star for you today.

32. lurchingbeast

Some people don't understand fun.

33. This thread is TL;DR.

The real question is which of the 2012 bottle dates is going to be the long-term gem? IMHO, the 09/20 bottle date has potential for being richer and molassier.

34. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Bruh, everyone knows 9/17 was PvW, so will trade you all my 9/20s for your 9/17s. Seriously, I found a note, hand-written on toilet paper and stuck to a mirror in a Binny's. Clearly this evidence is indisputable.

35. BM sent. Vanilla twist on the tongue FTW.