1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Brand Stout 2012 - Was supposed to hit here...???

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by waltersrj, Nov 27, 2012.

1. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (265) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

Holy shitballs...yeah I would call that a lot of things, but 'luck' ain't one of 'em. :eek:
  2. So who muled that one?
  3. honkduh

honkduh Savant (305) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

seems like a great deal.
  4. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Coworker went to Arkansas for a few weeks and brought a case and a half back with him
  5. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

What's the normal price? The only time I've bought BCBS (Greenwood Market, RIP, late 2010) I thought I paid $10/bottle. But I could be confusing it with World Wide Stout or something else.

Anyway, since it's the only store in the state that got any... $11.99 is still cheaper than any alternative I can think of. But I hear what you're saying.
  6. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

Is this even legal? Not sure what the WA LCB would say about this.

Shit like this is one of the reasons I never go there.
  7. Last time BCBS was in WA, 2010, it was 19.99 a four pack. I bought a couple 4 packs that year.
    NWer likes this.
  8. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

It retails at 19.99/4. Ouch.
  9. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

I paid $11.00+ for a 12oz Conflux so I guess I can see the reasoning for Chucks price tag on BCBS as it seems to be the only location to get it in WA. I'm still kinda hoping inbev distributes the shiot out of it and we all get to try it atleast once.
  10. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

I hope, for those that want to overpay, that nobody reports him.
  11. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

Yeah, Chuck is always doing this kind of stuff and ways charges WAY over price on stuff like this. I never go there because of things like this. He goes to every HotD release and then marks them up like crazy. I really don't think it is legal and it is shameful that he does it. He's overpriced on everything anyways.
  12. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

As long as goose Island and HOTD have licenses to sell in Washington State, it should be all good.
  13. draheim

I'm not going to judge Chuck too harshly. I don't know all the legal ins and outs (maybe someone can answer that question definitively), but I guess I figure it like Lordkrystic does. As far as I'm concerned it's a free market, and I'm willing to pay extra for a couple beers I otherwise couldn't have gotten locally. If you don't like his practices, you don't have to patronize his store.

I believe Brouwer's occasionally taps a keg of something special from a brewery that doesn't even distribute in Washington, and yesterday @ Bottleworks I saw a few $28 bottles of something from Allagash, can't recall what it was. I believe Allagash pulled out of Washington not too long ago, so if this wasn't something out of their cellar, they may have gotten it through questionable means. Not a big deal to me either way.
  14. dirtylou

I'm making an assumption here on behalf of Brouwers/Bottleworks but I guess I would be SHOCKED if either of those places ever did anything like this. There is too much at stake reputation-wise. Those Allagash bottles are almost certainly from the cellar. Brouwers has great relationships nation-wide with distributors/brewers, regardless of whether or not they are in our market. Those two Alpine firkins at Hopfest were sent directly from Brouwers to Alpine and sent directly back.

It's of course nothing personal, but when I here "free market" comments on BA (which, by the way is about 25% economists from my observation), I want to blow a fuse. The retail price for this beer is $19.99/4 pack - it's not distributed here currently.

Interesting conversation - I like Chucks spot a lot and go up there quite a bit, primarily because they've done a really great job at maintaining a high-end tap list and bringing an awesome variety of food trucks to the premises. I really look down on mule/gouging though. It's an east-coast problem, and we should probably keep it that way.
  15. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

Beer labels have to be approved individually for each beer. Just because HotD sells Adam, Fred, Ruth, Blue Dot, and DC yearly doesn't mean they can sell variations like Cherry Adam or Bourbon Fred without label approval. Correct me if I'm wrong here please.
  16. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

Sounds like an awesome alternative if what chucks is doing is such a problem for someone. I personal can't see myself jacking up prices if I was the owner but business is business so who knows...
  17. draheim

18. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Washington Sep 12, 2012

I've only been to Chuck's once but don't remember thinking that the prices were absurd. I did think his trophy case behind the counter was a little silly. I'll go back the next time I'm in Seattle.
  19. Might not be the same bottles, but they had Alagash from 2008 out for $28 last time I was there.
  20. draheim

I think those were the same ones. I would have picked one up but for the combination of high price and the fact that I didn't recognize the name.
  21. draheim

I've given this matter a little more thought as I've worked through the morning. I agree it's an interesting subject worthy of discussion, so I thought I'd share what I came up with.

First, I didn't mean "free market" in the Wild West/anything goes sense (and BTW, you're right, I'm no economist). A shop sells a rare, sought-after beer that it may or may not be authorized to sell given existing local distribution regulations, and prices it accordingly. Customers are free to buy it or not, to patronize the store or not. If the distributor or brewery catch wind of what's going on, they may choose to exert their own influence over the situation and/or the store. So Chuck's may pay a price over the long term if he keeps this up and the distributors/breweries are displeased. Everyone has a role to play in this system. We're all adults and can make our own decisions. (BTW I find it interesting that the two breweries whose beer he has sold "under the radar" in this way are HotD and Goose Island/InBev, which couldn't be at more opposite ends of the spectrum in some ways.)

Another point that I want to raise is that anyone who engages in beer trading is arguably violating some state laws, not to mention the carrier's policies as well as possibly the brewery's and/or distributor's intent. So it seems a little disingenuous to complain that a store does something like this on this site, where beer trading is actively encouraged by a lot of users. I'm not suggesting that anyone posting in this thread trades or doesn't; I have no idea. That these trades are conducted $4$ is worth considering in light of accusations of a store "gouging," as that's a meaningful difference. But the very act of trading might not always be 100% legal. We don't hear a lot of discussion about that on BA though.

Even if this isn't a legal matter, it surely is an ethical one. I admit I feel a little worse now for having bought that bottle. Maybe I'd feel better if he'd only marked it up a dollar or two, I don't know. But it doesn't sit with me all that well knowing I paid more than a 100% markup. I really did think the bottles I bought through legit channels last time were priced around $10, but I was probably mistaken.

Anyway, that's it for now. Cheers!
    kscaldef likes this.
  22. dirtylou

No need to feel bad for buying a bottle - it was for sale, and you wanted it! I wasn't down to my last $12 or anything, but I just elected not to participate. It rubs me the wrong way, but thats just me.

Beer trading may circumvent the law, but it does at least self-regulate the fairness component. I'm not even sure if it is against the law, really. I would imagine it's complicated...:)
  23. OakedCanuck

Beer trading itself is not against the law. Shipping alcohol via USPS, against the law. Shipping alcohol via FEDEX/UPS, against their 'policy'.
  24. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Let's be honest here; there's a whole mess of regulations that traders aren't following, at a minimum including: taxes, controlling underage access to alcohol, and state regulations on formats and strengths of alcoholic beverages.
  25. OakedCanuck

Agreed.
  26. draheim

Is it me, or do PNW forum threads go seriously off topic more often than any other area?
    Not that I'm complaining, the tangents are usually more interesting than the original subject.
  27. We're out of the public eye, so we can get away with it. Sometimes it pays to live in South Alaska.

Unless it's an epic Rare Beer thread. (I mean epic in the literal sense of the word. That thing was the War and Peace of BA.)
  28. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Hell, any divergence is a pleasant change from the "what's your favorite/best/worst/first beer to drink while performing X" threads that clog up the Beer Talk forum.
    guajolote likes this.
  29. dirtylou

Just curious man - how many nights a week do you drink. Also, do you know where to find Lagunitas Sucks in south-central Nebraska?
  30. maltmaster420

They have beer in Nebraska?
  31. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Washington Sep 12, 2012

This thread is my new NRBFW. I'm glad to have checked in today. As far as Chuck's pricing on that BCBS (of which I know nothing) I imagine they are pricing it in line with other beers (their price plus a fixed %). If they got it through a different channel than through a distributor (almost assuredly) they likely had to pay full retail plus whatever costs to get it to the store. I don't have any problem paying that markup. I'll still not buy it because I'm a dirty NW hippie who doesn't feel like supporting AB/Inbev (should I start a thread about how people feel about BMC??).
  32. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Not sure about Brouwer's, but I know Bottleworks had that from their cellar. Same way they can still put Fantome and Cantillon on their shelf occasionally, even though Shelton pulled out.
  33. They do, and I'm very glad about it. I go to Nebraska at least twice a year visit my wife's family in Omaha.

It is funny how Nebraska is to wheat beers as Washington is to IPAs.
  34. maltmaster420

Do you think it's a case of featuring local ingredients, or simply that the average craft beer drinker is "behind the times", similar to how everyone was drinking wheat beers here 10 years ago?

On a serious note, I've had the Melange a Trois from Nebraska Brewing, and enjoyed the heck out of it. We're also supposed to get barrel-aged Hop God and some sort of sour apricot beer in a couple weeks.

On a Goose Island note, BCBS still hasn't shown up in the price books here, but GI Kolsch is coming soon. :(
  35. Craft beer as a concept is in it's infancy out there. At most restaurants you'll get Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Lite and Boulevard Wheat. Most people don't care about craft beer, they just like wheat beers. Everyone makes a wheat beer. Upstream, NBC, Empyrean and Lucky Bucket are doing a good job of exposing people to other styles, but there isn't the demand for beer like we have out here.
  36. I picked up the Black Betty Whiskey BA Stout for NBC while I was in KC. I'm originally from Lincoln, NE but I've dont almost all of my adult drinking in Seattle. I was really pleased with my purchase even though it may have been a little over priced.
  37. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

As a consumer I don't have much of a problem with the muling Chuck does. Take Cherry Adam. I couldn't take the time off work ($$) and spend the gas ($$) to drive down to Portland that day. Instead, I bought a bottle at Chuck's, 15 miles away, for $6 more than HotD sold it for. I'm fine with that. I welcome something like that. I love having an opportunity to buy something close to home that I wouldn't find anywhere else. The brewery is still getting their money and Chuck is keeping his doors open. I have the choice to say No and sometimes I use it. I like having the opportunity to say Hell Yeah! though too.
    yojimbo1 and draheim like this.
  38. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Easy for me to say hell no to an over priced beer. Won't do it. Been to Chucks a few times but walked out without buying anything so stopped going there when in the area. Too many other places who make the effort to keep prices down i.e. Last Drop and Cathcart Albertsons. I'd rather they get my beer money. Plus, you can still get a four pack of Old Raspy for $8 at World Market. Why go out of my way to get ripped off?
  39. draheim

Well said. I used to be 10 blocks away so Chuck's was super convenient. Now I'm 10 blocks from Last Drop. Prices are probably better there (I think they had Rodenbach Vintage 2010 priced @ $13.99, compared to $19.99 @ WFM, which consistently keeps prices pretty low), but selection seems limited. So are their hours.

I don't consider it a "ripoff" to buy a beer I could otherwise buy only by leaving the state. Time is money. Plus, I've always found Chuck's staff to be friendly and helpful. But I'll admit, if I'm bargain hunting I won't go there. Sometimes convenience is worth a little extra money though. So is the fact that they're kid-friendly. I've stopped in at least a couple times with my daughter on our way home from ballet class just to see what's new. I couldn't do that at a lot of other places.
    Dogfishipas likes this.