1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Cherry Rye vs. Brand Coffee Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ECalebrews449, Dec 23, 2012.

?

which is better?

1. Cherry Rye

36.7%
  2. Coffee Stout

65.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ECalebrews449

ECalebrews449 Savant (345) Nebraska Dec 23, 2012

I had a chance to try both of the these last night. Both of these beers in my opinion are exceptional. what does everyone think?

2. I would vote, but I I've only been able to try Cherry Rye. I'm sure both are phenomenal beers

ECalebrews449 likes this.
  3. Coffee is my least favorite BCBS, but I haven't tried cherry yet!

jbck109 and Thickfreakness like this.
  4. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I had both last night along with a 2008 regular BCS. Cherry was the best but the 2008 regular was amazing too. It really shows what cellaring any of these brews can do to them. I am going to keep one if the cherries for several years and see what happens. Yum!!

5. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

This poll is about as meaningful as "which do you prefer: coffee or cherries?'

I pick C, all of the above.

atone315, sleuthdog and franklinn like this.
  6. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

I love rye, I love cherry, I hate coffee beers.

BCBS Coffee wayyy better.

beerFool28607 likes this.
  7. AgentZero

AgentZero Advocate (565) Illinois Jul 19, 2009

BCBCS significantly better.

That said, Cherry Rye is a great beer in its own right.

YogiBeer likes this.
  8. ECalebrews449

BCBCS seems to be better but the Cherry Rye is harder to come by and is still a great beer.Thanks for the feed back and everyone enjoy the holidays.

Cheers!!

9. kevanb

kevanb Advocate (680) Illinois Apr 4, 2011

You can just taste the rarity

10. haruspexvic

haruspexvic Savant (260) Illinois Aug 23, 2012

will vote later tonight when i crack them both

11. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Have this man banned!

12. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I voted for both because they don't belong in same conversation. Comparing a fruited stout to a coffee stout is like comparing my backfat to Natalie Portman's ass.

AlexFields, Docrock, YogiBeer and 6 others like this.
  13. ECalebrews449

It's not comparing, it's deciding which you enjoy more, or both. But thanks for the laugh.

14. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

Haven't had the BCBCS yet, but I've got a bottle waiting to be cracked. I was blown away by the Cherry Rye though, totally different beast from the standard BCBS- which is already amazing.

15. Cherry by at least a mile! So much more going on than just... Ohhhh a REALLY good coffee RIS! Hmmmmm... lots of coffee... like fresh pressed coffee! LOL!
    Cherry may even be neck and neck with regular BCBS if not better! I miss the vanilla, but really love the way the dark fruit leads this RIS into a Quad! Loved it!!! The Rye was very subtle and it let the fruit do the talkin'!

16. ECalebrews449

I wish I could of tried the Vanilla!!

17. GI BCBVS was/is brilliant, but I was talking about the vanilla/oak taste in BCBS as compared with the Cherry Rye. Try them all anytime you get the chance! Worth every penny!

18. ECalebrews449

I will do sir! Thanks for the advice.

Cheers!

19. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Sorry but Natalie Portman's anything > your backfat

MordorMongo likes this.
  20. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Savant (280) New York May 15, 2011

I had them side by side twice this year and I really prefer Cherry Rye by a good margin.

21. Not knowing MordorMongo specifically, I'd venture that Natalie Portman's backfat < MordorMongo's backfat

CityofBals likes this.
  22. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Coffee is the superior beer. Cherry Rye is also a very good Ba fruited stout, but not in the same league, IMHO.

23. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

Coffee is a much better beer. The Cherry Rye doesn't really have a strong Cherry taste. It's really subtle Cherry flavor. Not bad, but not worth the premium over regular/coffee BCBS.

24. Only had the coffee, but thoroughly enjoyed it

25. I don't get what these people saying there isn't much cherry to cherry rye are thinking.....It isn't bourbon barrel aged cherry stout....its cherry rye bourbon county stout....there was just enough Cherry present that it seemed to perfectly balance and complement with what I love about standard BCBS. I can only imagine with age the bourbon will take more of a back seat and the cherry will be more pronounced for those so concerned.

Would also like to point out I've had both side-by-side twice and also like cherry by a large margin better (though both are in my top 10 favorite) as others have relayed experiencing.

WagonCircler likes this.
  26. MykelJH

MykelJH Savant (290) California Aug 3, 2011

I like good old BCS the best actually....

27. It's hard to beat the OG.

MykelJH and DovaliHops like this.