1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Cherry Rye

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RacerX5k, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Just a drunken thought for you guys to chew on this Friday eve ... I an drinking bourbon county cherry rye draft for the second time and trying to remember exactly how it smells and tastes because after tonite (and the 6 bottles I've enjoyed this year) I realize I may never have this beer again.

So what do you do when you drink the last of what you consider the best beer you've ever had? And don't think they could improve upon this?

And OML (oh my Lord) the young thing im sitting besides at the bar is drop dead gorgeous, with bangs, yes bangs. And sitting with 2 neanderthals which honestly, looks like she would dump both for her prince charming.

Oh, to be young agaiin.

Tell me some funny stories. Cheers.

JxExM likes this.
  2. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

iso cherry rye

3. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

cherry rye is nirvana. I was honored to have only 1 bottle of it. I summarize it as a schwartz verde kirche torte (black forest cake) in a bottle. chocolate, cherries, bourbon (in lieu of kirche). a thing of beauty, really. I will aggressively seek it out next year. I can't last another winter with only 1 prized bottle. Goal: 2-3 bottles. Fingers crossed....

4. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

You should really seek it out now. Bottle count only gets lower. It won't be released next year. Coffee is the only yearly variant. Next year will be something else.

5. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

I still have one of these. Maybe I should enjoy it tonight.

powz87 likes this.
  6. My wife absolutely loves this beer. Good thing I can re-up on trade bait soon

7. loafinaround

noooooo! I didn't know that it wasn't an annual :( It's been sold out for over a month on LI.

8. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

My lady and I enjoyed one last night over dinner, and it was truly divine. Once CFH, choco rain and BA Kopi speedway land in the next few weeks, I'll be looking for another bottle.

JustXBeer likes this.
  9. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (350) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

I'm nervous to drink the 1 bottle I got.

MichPaul, Horbar and szmnnl99 like this.
  10. Am I the only one that much preferred the other variants to Cherry? Great beer and all, but give me Coffee, or even regular, over Cherry any day. <shrugs>

Brewzer1010, ant880, sarch and 12 others like this.
  11. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I'm opening my only bottle sometime this weekend with my girl.

12. I wish I got more than 1 bottle, that's for sure, but at least I got to share it with a friend who appreciated it as much as I did. Just the right amount of cherry, I thought, and it really shone on the finish.

We had it during a night of card games and some pretty fine brews-
    after the Courage Russian Stout- "That's a really nice beer"
    after the Burton Baton- "That's a really fucking nice beer"
    after the Cherry Rye- simply an awestruck "fuuuuuuck"

GFG and wyatt13 like this.
  13. No, but that's awesome. More Cherry Rye for me.

14. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

Cherries and Rye, hmmm.... This could lead into some home brew madness.

15. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

Where on LI, if I may ask. I picked up a Cherry Rye in the Stony Brook area about a week ago. It was the last one there but I'm pretty sure they are still around in other stores.

16. loafinaround

WHAT?! I'm currently doing research at SBU. Where on earth was that last cherry rye hidden? I drive all over LI and into queens / brooklyn regularly and visit 4 different stores on a regular basis and have seen nada!

17. More bad news: Santa's not real.

Sarge3130 and sbrotschul like this.
  18. loafinaround

that I figured out at age 7:D
    The cherry rye is a worse revalation......

Ravenacht and PsilohsaiBiN like this.
  19. Indeed. My buddy and I did a horizontal(?) tasting a couple weeks ago with Night Stalker, Big John, BCS, BCSCS, Cherry Rye, and Baudoinia. Cherry Rye was towards the bottom of both of our lists that night. It was a nice beer, but we both felt in needs some time aging. It just didn't stick out up next to such stellar beers.

20. Less cell phone posting to BA and more talking to the young lady next you .

21. TychoNDC

North Shore Beverage on 25a. Doesn't look like much but they get the occasional gem! (Don't tell your friends :p)

22. loafinaround

oh I know that place. I used to have them special order stuff for me when I was a post-doc. yeah, you're right, they did have a few nice brews. Had no idea they wouldn't sell out in an hour like all the other shops... good to know. Thanks! :)

23. TychoNDC

Yeah they tend to be overlooked in favor of Port Jeff Bev. and others, but the guys there are very nice and their stock tends not to be killed too quickly.

In fact, they may still have some regular BCBS if you want more.

24. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

Well seeing as how I've never had this specific beer and have missed my chance, I'm quite bummed. As for your question, when I drink the last of what I consider the best beer I've ever had I just immensely enjoy that greatness that I am consuming and hope that there is some remote chance that I'll be able enjoy that masterpiece of water, barley, hops and yeast again in my life.

25. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

I did not drink mine yet, but was given one as a surprise by a new friend and regular trader. Jc you rock bro!

26. Jagen

Jagen Aficionado (135) Illinois Oct 1, 2012

I luckily got to try it once on draft....it wasn't as good as the coffee or vanilla BCS I thought (or the 2009 BCS some people standing by me graciously let me try) but still really tasty...cherries didn't come out enough IMO. However, still sad I wasn't even to acquire a single bottle even though I live in the chicago-area :\

sarch likes this.
  27. oh really? ;)

28. loafinaround

what you mean I missed it there too? damnit. Obviously I have cherry on the brain and am oblivious. I DID ask them 2 weeks ago and they said it was MIA. sigh.

29. got anything good to trade? :)

30. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (420) New York Jan 13, 2010

I have 1 that I'm opening at the next NYC bottle share. I've never had it so I'm excited

cavedave likes this.
  31. Squidly

Squidly Savant (435) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

Yeah, I much prefer coffee to the cherry. But to each their own!

32. SeanS

SeanS Aficionado (115) New York Feb 13, 2013

I'm on the hunt to buy this bottle in NYC. No luck finding it at stores but know a couple bars.

33. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

My order:

Rare > CR > 09' Bomber > Bramble > Vanilla > Coffee > Straight

34. I had it at Rattle 'n' Hum a couple of weeks ago. Worth asking if they still have any.

35. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (420) New York Jan 13, 2010

Try to get on the wait list for the next NYC bottle share. I don't think you'll be able to find this for sale (to go) anywhere near NYC. I took off the day it was released and still only managed to get 2!

36. SeanS

Yeah, I could have had it the other night but didn't want to drop the $45.

37. Oof I guess that price increased as the stock went down...

OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  38. SeanS

Thanks, not sure if I will be here or in SF for work. If I do head there, definitely checking a bag! :)

39. SeanS

Yeah, economics :/

40. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

been 50$ at restaurants in chi town for a few months.