1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Cherry Rye

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RacerX5k, Feb 15, 2013.

1. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I'd pay $45 for CR. I live in SoCal though.
  2. POTABLE83

POTABLE83 Savant (405) New York Jun 21, 2012

Dive Bar on 101st had some back on Tuesday when I went for $20. I bought 1 for myself and one for a friend but when I left, the bartender put tags on 4 bottles "hold for xxxx".

i imagine they're gone, but it's worth giving them a call to see if any are left
  3. jrbuckt

jrbuckt Zealot (85) Illinois Sep 13, 2012

Shared my only Cherry Rye with my little brother to celebrate the birth of his son. The beer was worthy of the occasion. No better compliment can be given.
  4. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Extra Badass.
  5. YogiBeer

Urgh. If I dont open it tonight Ill just send it to you.
  6. evilc

I have 4 on reserve here, did a lot of trading =)
  7. YogiBeer

Oh okay, nevermind. Ill find someone who hasnt ever had it then.
  8. evilc

CR is definitely for sharing! Opened this one during Superbowl:

[​IMG]
  9. What can I say about this beer, besides the fact that it is for me, one of those rare beers that I enjoy every sip/last drop of, to the max. It blew me away the first time I tried it and imo lived up to/exceeded the hype, along with King Henry and CBS. I actually traded 2 of these(separate trades, 1 each) and got a KH and CBS in return. I put it in their class, where every sip is just THAT good.

I love BCBS and BCBCS but this is just extra special to me. I probably spent $100 worth of gas to get every bottle that I did, and I don't regret it for a second.

One thing I must say is these things were not easy to get and kept under lock and key around here(Long Island, NY). Most places didn't even let anyone know they had them. Then, when you'd ask, the clerk would give you an icy stare and aggressively whisper with squinty eyes "who told you we have this???" NO store would let you buy more than 1, and that included if you came back the next day. Crazy.

Anyway, a lot beers are really overhyped, but this one is just fantastic, and earns it, imo. Ymmv.
    loafinaround likes this.
  10. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

I managed to buy 2 cherry rye bottles. I gave 1 to a good friend because he just had a gorgeous little girl.
    It is a wonderful special occassion beer for a stout lover.....
    TongoRad likes this.
  11. Hehe. Oh we talked, it was weird she sat 3 seats away from her date, I don't know man, think she talked more to me than her friends. Smart girl too, knew what a Rhodesian Ridgeback is (I have a pup whose 1/4 that, real warrior). Even funnier, bar's not that far for me to get to, but if this beer went on draft where I live, it wouldn't last the day. More of an small but upscale after work young professional crowd. Great bar though, they're also tapping coffee soon.
  12. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

That's not too much more than what Chocolate Rain costs. I'd pay that too. :cool:
  13. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Savant (370) New York Nov 16, 2007

I just missed a chance to try some when my local place got a couple of cases last wednesday and posted it on Beermenus - It was gone by the time I got there - they told me two guys came in together and bought it all - bwahhh -
  14. i personally thought it had a tinge of old canned cherries that i jus couldnt look past, mouthfeel was alittle too thin for this beer to me as well...i paid out for two bottles, following morning after drinking the first one, i had the second traded for something bigger and better within 30 mins...highly over rated in my opinion...will age do this beer any good ? i doubt it.
  15. I might be one of the few not to love Cherry Rye. I much prefer plain old Bourbon County, and even Coffee, to Cherry Rye. I got two bottles, but my second bottle is in the cellar while I decide what to do with it. I found the rye to remind me too much of a cheap whiskey, and it detracted from the taste of the base beer. I also didn't think there was enough cherry in it. Overall, it's just not to my taste.
  16. lwburns15

lwburns15 Aficionado (135) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

I had this on draft yesterday and felt that the cherry overpowered the rest of the beer. It was thin and there was very little of the barrel character.
  17. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Savant (370) New York Nov 16, 2007

** and 2 hours after this post, while driving up north a bit I make a random stop into a beer and bev distributor and there it is!! along with a bunch of Coffee and plenty of 4 packs of BCBS - nice!!
    loafinaround likes this.
  18. powz87

powz87 Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 18, 2012

I have one left. I had one last night with a buddy and still loved it. I guess I'll have to share the Bramble that i picked up today with him.
    YogiBeer likes this.
  19. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Hello there
  20. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Hope I can try this and Coffee eventually, I blinked and missed them both (though, to be fair, I think whatever stores managed to get Cherry Rye got about 4-6 bottles max).
  21. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

I too am hoping a magic bottle fairy sends one my way one day :s Maybe I can get a few KBS to trade for it
  22. powz87

powz87 Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 18, 2012

i have an extra coffee if you've never had it
  23. Cherry Rye > Bramble Rye.
    PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  24. Don't say that !!!
  25. fvernon

fvernon Savant (370) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

the best beer hasn't been made yet

(at least that's what i tell myself)
    inkdemention likes this.
  26. "I also didn't think there was enough cherry in it."

Other guy below:

"I had this on draft yesterday and felt that the cherry overpowered the rest of the beer."

LOL
    Savearth likes this.
  27. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

ISO: Cherry Rye FT: love & e-hugs
  28. deuce9259

deuce9259 Savant (310) Ohio Dec 28, 2011

Well if any one else wants to "get rid" of a Cherry Rye, I'd love to trade. Too high abv for Ohio distribution.
  29. false.
  30. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I had my bottle last night...cherry dominated for me...I could barely even tell it was a stout.
  31. SeanS

SeanS Aficionado (115) New York Feb 13, 2013

do share!
  32. We're just now starting to get the standard G.I. offerings in South Carolina....IPA, 312, and one other. Sucks, because I'm a flavored beer fiend.
  33. HenryD

HenryD Disciple (60) New York Feb 4, 2013

anyone know where this can be purchased online?
  34. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

I didn't like Cherry Rye. Probably just personal tastes.
  35. JxExM likes this.
  36. lic217

lic217 Savant (430) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

I have not tried it, but I am not into fruit flavored beers. I just tried my first bourbon county stout last night (thought it was great) and would love to try the coffee BCS. If I saw the cherry I would buy because I would want to atleast try it. However, 22 oz would be tough for me to drink if it tasted a lot like cherries...