1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Bourbon County Cherry Rye

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by bluewolf17, Mar 5, 2013.

?

Bourbon County Cherry Rye

1. Fresh

82.4%
  2. Age

17.6%
  1. bluewolf17

bluewolf17 Savant (255) Maryland Mar 3, 2013

I was only able to snag one bottle of this puppy due to a very limited release in my area. I'm wondering, drink fresh or age? I know it's a difficult question since no one can give me feedback on an aged one but, if anyone has aged anything similar and can offer good advice, I'd certainly appreciate it!

2. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

As many will echo after me, if you haven't had it fresh and you only have one, you should drink it fresh. What's the point of aging it if you don't have an origin to compare it to?

richardflyr, kevanb, FUNKPhD and 2 others like this.
  3. If you only have one why would you even consider aging it?

It's drinking great now, no need to risk it and you gain nothing aging it with nothing to compare it against.

frankthetank86 likes this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (965) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

If you have never had it drink it fresh otherwise if you wait you'll have nothing to compare it to.

5. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Only reviews, but who gives a shit about what others have to say, right?

6. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (335) Illinois May 1, 2012

I had this in early December and the cherry flavor was pretty subtle.
    Would not age.

7. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (495) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

It was quite sweet when first released, but I had it last week and it had toned down a bit. Definitely drinking great now so crack that puppy open.

8. owen49

owen49 Aficionado (175) Ohio Jun 13, 2009

I don't automatically buy the "drink it fresh because you'll have nothing to compare it to" argument. If you only have one, you'll have nothing to compare it to regardless:
    - If you drink it fresh, you'll have no idea how it ages.
    - If you drink it aged, you'll have no idea how it was fresh.

My view is that I want to drink the beer when it's best, whether that means aged or fresh. If I have several bottles, sure I can try one fresh and then let some sit. But if I've only got one bottle (and no opportunity to buy more, as with Cherry Rye most likely), I want it best. As an extreme example, I've never had World Wide Stout, but I've got several sitting around getting older. I'm confident that I'll like it better with some age even though I've never had it fresh.

I don't have a Cherry Rye, but if I did, I would not intentionally age it. The '12 regular BCBS that I have had have been great and I suspect the Cherry flavor that makes it distinct is only going to fade over time.

The best answer for you is probably to find someone in a similar position and split the bottles, so you both have the chance to try one fresh and save one for later.

9. FUNKPhD

Why?

10. owen49

Largely based on reviewers who have had WWS at various ages. My casual observation is that people almost universally say that it's better with age. I've also had a bunch of stouts that I enjoy more with age than fresh, at least partially because the alcohol doesn't seem as noticeable to me. Off the top of my head: KBS, Plead the 5th, and Dark Lord fit this bill.

All tastes are different, obviously, but I'm pretty confident that I would not like WWS fresh.

11. FUNKPhD

DL definitely fits the bill. It's interesting that you like KBS with age, but yeah, WWS is better with age, but would still recommend trying it fresh, so you know firsthand.

12. owen49

The KBS thing is odd to me, too, and is totally inconsistent with how much I've enjoyed fresh BCBS this year. Maybe when KBS '13 comes out, I'll do a side-to-side with older years. Maybe I just have a schizophrenic palate.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  13. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (465) New York Jan 30, 2011

What about Thomas Hardy's?
    First one I ever had was from the early 80s.
    I never even had a "fresh" one

Do what you want. Its going to be awesome either way.

14. Bildo

Bildo Aficionado (185) Minnesota Jan 24, 2013

That is a tought choice esp if you only have one bottle. I had the beer on tap and it quite tart. A restruant was selling it for consumption at the location and split a bottle and I thought the cherry flavor was strong with strong bourbon flavor. Was able to get one in a trade and aging for a different flavor. i have aged the regular BCBS and they taste better for my palate aged. just my 2 cents.

15. gzaIPArza

gzaIPArza Disciple (65) Indiana Mar 5, 2013

Have you had Bramble? I tried Bramble and Cherry fresh, and have had Bramble aged. I found both to be medicinal when fresh. I thought that Bramble was much better after the 6 month phase, so maybe Cherry will age similarly?

16. Drink it now.

mrbubbler likes this.
  17. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

I have landed 9 of these thru trade and have drank 4, I will drink the others within this next year. Its good right now, no reason to age.

18. bluewolf17

I actually had a Bramble fresh (and loved it). I'm usually not big on berries in my beer but this one was different. Fortunately, my girlfriend was with me when I walked into a store that limited the purchasing to one per customer so I made her grab a bottle as well. That one is just about a year old. I'm sure I'll be drinking it soon and I'm very curious how it compares.

19. Anything fruited I drink fresh. That's when it's at it's greatest intensity. But that is my preference because I don't care for balance (whatever that means).

gzaIPArza likes this.
  20. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

I say drink it when you're ready to drink it -- don't worry too much about "timing the market" so to speak. I had a Cherry Rye bottle a month ago that was simply perfect -- that doesn't mean it all must be drank, forthwith! I've got a King Henry, which I keep hearing is past its prime. That doesn't mean I needed to open it yesterday. My philosophy is that when it's time to open that big whale -- I'll know it. At that point I'll get the most out of it because of my mindset -- not because it's at some allegedly ideal state. And it seems very unlikely that a delicious beer is going to turn into ass because I drank it too late or too early.

That being said, I'm hanging onto my 2012 Expedition Stout & Westy 12 because I've been told it's the right thing to do. I've had both fresh and neither was eminently memorable. I'm hoping through some magical process that years down the road, they will become amazing. But I have my doubts.

VonZipper, owen49 and bluewolf17 like this.
  21. its drinking fantastic right now. cherry flavor is more pronounced since the first bottle i had in december imo

VonZipper likes this.
  22. The ratings and opinions on here are that Cherry Rye is drinking amazing now. Either you are chancing it that it can get marginally or better or you can see the future. If you can see the future can you help me bet on some ponies?

23. owen49

I'm not suggesting that this person age Cherry Rye - did you mean to respond to someone else? My two points in this thread have been:
    1) Many people will reflexively respond to this question by saying "drink it fresh if you haven't had it before", regardless of the beer. I don't agree with that as a universal statement.

2) For Cherry Rye, I've not tried it (nor do I have a bottle), but I would not intentionally age it.

24. bluewolf17

For everybody (or at least the majority of you) who recommended drinking it fresh, I thank you. I just popped it and it is phenomenal. I think I even like it better than the BC Coffee. You can taste the cherry just enough to know its there, but not enough to be overwhelmed. I'm on the drink it fresh bandwagon.

Foobula- I highly enjoyed reading your response. I completely agree that mindset plays a huge part in how much you enjoy the beer. I'm stuck inside during this snowstorm (that I believe came through you first) and cracking it open today just seemed too fitting.

foobula likes this.
  25. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

We got about 9" yesterday which was our biggest snowfall of the year. (We've been fairly lucky this winter.) Glad you're happy with your decision. Cheers!

26. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

Parrot threads