1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Bourbon County Coffee Sightings- Chicagoland area

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by BreakingBad, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Every shop I called said closer to thanksgiving....

2. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

ISO! HAVE BLUE LADY FOR TRADE 1:1

Treebs likes this.
  3. TotallyHosed

TotallyHosed Savant (340) Illinois Jun 20, 2009

GI just tweeted about a Black Friday release. Is this separate from the OP's information? i.e. Will it be released to shops before Black Friday?

BreakingBad likes this.
  4. If it's released on Black Friday, then crap, I won't be getting any, since I'll out of town then.

5. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

I got my info from a distributor it depends on distro. Get on that list now

6. TotallyHosed

TotallyHosed Savant (340) Illinois Jun 20, 2009

You're right. We should treat this like any other brewery published release date. For example, November 1 is the official release of Backwoods Bastard, but it appears on shelves at various times around that date.

BreakingBad likes this.
  7. Yeah, I'm... confused. Is 11/23 an embargo date? Like with KBS? Or just a target date? If the latter, why make up a poster with that specific date (and yet include a disclaimer that these beers may not be available on the date being advertised on the poster)?

Via twitter, it's been suggested that the Clybourn brewpub will release details soon about their Black Friday event (though it seems jegross2 has scooped them). It's probably safe to assume that these bottles will be available at that event (albeit it @ $25) but... maybe not?

And then will Vav be selling them as part of his cellar-apalooza sale? Too soon to tell? It's great that Goose is releasing a date so soon, but I just wish I knew what that date is supposed to mean.

8. Lansman

Lansman Savant (410) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

So this info means that there is a 100% chance that both variants will be at FoBAB to try in advance of the bottle release. That is great news.

My concern, however, is that GI releases their product when it is ready, and not a moment sooner. They originally had a variation of Cherry BCS at a few events this year (Stout Fest was the first I saw the stuff back on March 17).

Stay with me here - does this mean that there are two ways to interpret the Black Friday release?
    1. The release of the product in advance of the originally estimated January/February time frame means that the product is so good that it can be released earlier than planned (i.e., it is ready and awesome); or 2. The flavor profile has changed so rapidly from the original intent, that getting the product out in a fresher condition is essential?

9. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

There's a possible third option.

Perhaps AB has ties to aliens who brainwashed the Halls into selling Goose Island to AB. Now the aliens have planned a beer event including glasswales, BCBS flights, and BCBS varient releases. They can read our minds so they know we will fall for this. Of course the motive is to gather as many AB-hating beer geeks as possible in order to exterminate them. Then AB will be free to continue their pursuit to rule the world.

;)

Flabbyjandro likes this.
  10. I would assume option 1 -- the beer guy at Binny's off Grand suggested that the Coffee has been bottled for a while now, just waiting for the final go ahead from Goose. Remember, based on bottling dates, they had regular BCBS sitting around for a while before it went out. Last year's Coffee release ran "late", too, with the online calendar originally saying it would be Nov/Dec (I think). And, the first coffee release, if memory serves, was in April (DLD weekend), so... I don't think there's enough of a track record for Coffee to know when it typically gets released.

As far as 2, I don't think Goose would release a beer they can't get behind 100%. One example is Marisol -- they bottled up a huge amount, enough for retail distribution (probably limited, relatively speaking, but still) and those bottles never saw the light of day (correct me if I'm wrong). Having said that, those first bottles of IPA that were made off-site definitely weren't as good... I'm still inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

hopswap1 likes this.
  11. hopswap1

hopswap1 Savant (435) Illinois Apr 27, 2012

Thank god for the wink I was getting nervous!

pmoney likes this.
  12. Gonna need a bigger building.

hopswap1 likes this.
  13. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (680) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

I just want to know how much "Internet Street Cred" you get for not being right?

Hoping it is released in time to retailers to make Castle Vav's Black Friday event / hit my local stores so I can grab a few on the 23rd.

BreakingBad likes this.
  14. BreakingBad

lol never thought I'd see the day a BA was mad he got a heads up

woodjjacct and mattizmyname like this.
  15. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (680) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

If your heads up was accurate I would have come back and said you were absolutely correct.

However, the telephone game of rumors from retailers / reps / distributors helps no one in the hobby.

Folks funneling that information to BA / RB / Twitter / FB only makes it worse.

My $.02.

Cheers!

16. BreakingBad

lol my intent was not the rumor game just to help people out. I don't think it hurts anything the only thing that on here that some what hurts craft beer is hype but I think it's pretty well checked

that's my $.02

also that's for not being a jerk sometimes people get way too out of hand when info is not exactly the same

17. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

What?

18. Khazadum

Khazadum Savant (395) Illinois Apr 29, 2010

Coming on here with "he said, she said" mumbo jumbo is actually harmful not helpful. It just builds hype and may ultimately never pan out. If you see beer on shelf, and relay that information... Fucking great. Cool beans, you nailed it with some helpful hints. Butttt.... that isn't whats going down.

19. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

I think it's ok to post rumors on here if you think they're from a reliable source, and if you label them as such. Everyone can make up his/her mind about the reliability of the poster, and hopefully no one is going to be calling their local liquor store based on speculation. The only truly inappropriate posts will be deleted by the bros

But sorry BreakingBad, no extra props for you. I guessed that there would be a Black Friday Coffee release, based on nothing but my imagination.

BreakingBad likes this.
  20. Khazadum

Khazadum Savant (395) Illinois Apr 29, 2010

Bros are definitely into patrolling rumor mills on beer releases.

21. My very reliable inside source told me that they are actually going to blend Coffee and Cherry Rye together and reclassify the style.

It will be called, "Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Cherry Coffee Cake Porter."

Hits retailers tomorrow I'm told.

22. mdomask

mdomask Savant (335) Illinois May 27, 2012

You're behind the times. Laffler was at drunkenly bragging at Map Room last night about how they dumped the entire batch just to be dicks. He had video on his iPhone.

23. kenm2118

kenm2118 Savant (350) Illinois Apr 17, 2009

where is the ;)?

24. Hopefully, Coffee will be available in larger quantities than Cherry Rye. Per Dave at the River North Binny's, stores will be getting one case each of the Cherry Rye (and his list for those 12 bottles is closed, FYI).

25. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Yeah, Cherry is going to be bad. You've been forwarned.

aefbjo likes this.
  26. What about Coffee?

27. Hopefully it will be at least as much as we saw last year -- which wasn't a lot, by any means, but enough for stores to get ~5 cases (Binny's, at least -- I bet smaller stores saw 1-2 cases, at best).

28. Vav

Coffee will be slightly less stressful.

29. Moz

Moz Aficionado (105) Illinois Oct 1, 2012

Bad as in tastes bad or hard to find?

30. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (170) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

Tastes like cherry shit, from what I've heard.

31. Vav

Hard to find. The yield was way lower than anticipated.

32. Shame. Will try at FOBAB and probably only buy if I stumble upon it. I will, however do everything I can to get a couple bottles of BCBCS.

33. Less than one case per Binny's location of Cherry Rye. Yikes. Hopefully I can get a BCBCS at least.

bootlegger1929 likes this.
  34. foobula

Can't wait to see bottles of CR sitting on shelves in NY, and the subsequent reaction on GI's facebook page... it'll feel like 2011 all over again

35. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (355) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

Goose Island Brewery is at Beer Hoptacular tomorrow and is pouring BCBCS 2011 at both sessions! Cheers!Fitz

36. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

In case anyone is still looking for regular BCS, I just walked into Jewel on Milwaukee and Paulina and they have at least 25 cases at $20.97!

Dontcounttoday likes this.
  37. foobula

$20.97 a case, did you buy them all? ;)

willandperry likes this.
  38. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

You interrupted me backing my truck up. Yes, they are now sold out... ;)

But in all seriousness, how could I afford to NOT buy another 4 pack?

39. SWChi

SWChi Advocate (515) Illinois Oct 25, 2012

Georges in Merrionette Park has two 4 packs left...behind the counter...not sure on price..

40. Binnys South Loop also had about 10 cases sitting on the floor when I was in on Thursday. $21.99 I believe. Also Narwhal...

funhog likes this.