1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Coffee Sightings- Chicagoland area

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by BreakingBad, Nov 1, 2012.

1. mpwdoyle

mpwdoyle Aficionado (155) Illinois Apr 29, 2011

Still a huge amount of regular Bourbon County Stout at the Jewel at Milwaukee & Paulina. At least 15 cases left.
  2. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Here's the latest BCBCS '12 sighting.
    [​IMG]
    I'm pretty sure that one in back is mine.
    davey101 and CanisMajor like this.
  3. ravot

ravot Savant (435) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

how could that be yours when my tent is set up at the brewery with dibs on all of them.
    foobula likes this.
  4. anyone actually know of any stores who have said they are confident they will get coffee or cherry rye on black friday and have it available for sale??? And no you don't need to name the store...I'm just curious if a large majority of stores within the city are going to have this on Black Friday or only a limited few
  5. foobula

If Vav doesn't know he'll have it, I doubt any store will be bold enough to claim they'll definitely have it on any given date, at this point. Perhaps on November 21st we'll have a better idea of who expects to get it the 23rd and who doesn't.
    JerryM1984 likes this.
  6. Yeah I was just curious because I'll be up in the Chi for thanksgiving with my cousin and I have a Noon ticket to the Black Friday Event at Clybourn....I was thinking of how I should allocate my morning activities....1) call and travel around to beer stores to try to find coffee and cherry rye 2) Go to Vav's event 3) See what the brewpub draft one offs are. Obviously if no stores get cherry rye and coffee on the 23rd then that eliminates that option.
  7. foobula

My personal (uninformed) hunch is that Vav will get both Bourbon County Variants on the 23rd, and that you'll have to get there by about 6:30 am to be in the running for those, assuming he does the variants FCFS, and not as part of the raffle. I imagine it will hit a number of stores at the same time (such as other Chicagoland Binny's) and your chances may be slightly better if you pick one of those and show up at 8:30. But again, this is mere speculation on my part and my plan will definitely alter as the date approaches.

I think we know all about the brewpub drafts, Night Stalker being one of them. So getting in line outside the brewpub by 9-9:30a should get you a seat when they open. The entrance for the 10am session should be at the E entrance, for general pub seating at the S entrance. I'm not big on random chance, so standing around waiting for my number to be called is not real high on my list at this point.

Image broke on my first post, here it is again
    [​IMG]
  8. But the event details say bcbs 12, nightstalker 12, coffee 11 and some one-offs will be poured at the brewpub.....I am saying it would be an important part of my plan to figure out what those one-offs are....and then decide between chasing coffee 12 and cherry rye, going to Vav's event or going directly to the brewpub for those one-offs.
  9. but i do agree it depends on how many stores are getting coffee and cherry rye that day...and if they already have lists that are filled.....plans shall be adjusted
  10. foobula

It sounds like the one-offs will be GI Brewpub beers, i.e. not Bourbon County variants. Stuff like Xocolatl and Broad Shoulders that hasn't been available outside Chicago. Not telling you to stay away, just don't expect to find something crazy like Manhattan Bourbon County being poured at the brewpub that day.

EDIT: I'm talking about the pours available to the public, not the obvious awesomeness of King Henry, Rare, Cherry, Coffee, Vanilla, Bramble, being poured for paid attendees.
  11. foobula

Just to clarify, these are the brews available at the brewpub bar starting at 10am (separate from the ticketed Black Friday event):
    Bourbon County Brand Stout '12
    Coffee Bourbon County Brand Stout '11
    Night Stalker '12
    Plus, exclusive one-offs from Goose Island Brewpubs.
  12. right gotcha...brewpub ones offs not goose island one-offs...that makes sense
  13. jln83

jln83 Zealot (85) Illinois Mar 6, 2012

Had some of the cherry rye bcs last week... so good. SO good.

(wrong thread?)
  14. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

[​IMG]

You can really see the moment his heart breaks in two (this was a lot funnier as a GIF)
    crushedvol and wsnich like this.
  15. nucmedmario

nucmedmario Savant (320) Illinois Sep 1, 2010

[quote=" (this was a lot funnier as a GIF)[/quote]
    i gotcha
    [​IMG] GIFSoup
    SchuStar and crushedvol like this.
  16. vic311

vic311 Aficionado (105) Illinois Jan 28, 2012

Luckily I got some coffee today. Santa came early...:)
  17. Uhh... Who what how?!?!??
  18. kort27

kort27 Aficionado (240) Illinois Apr 23, 2009

He already said ... Santa. That fat fuck has a lot of connections.
    JerBuz, pschul4, MarkIntihar and 7 others like this.
  19. PDZ

PDZ Aficionado (235) Illinois Jun 26, 2012

sittin on the right lap
  20. The owner of my local shop (northern burbs) said he spoke with his distributor today and was confident he would have coffee in stock on Friday, with cherry coming the following week. He also said he heard rumors of KH being bottled again though, so take it as you will... Don't kill the messenger.
  21. Kwaz

Kwaz Aficionado (135) Illinois Mar 31, 2012

At Whole Foods last night, the GI brewer said they were "unhappy with the base beer for King Henry" and would be brewing another barleywine to put into used Bourbon County barrels.
  22. Whole Foods in Schaumburg had some left