1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Rare Value?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by JAramini, Jan 15, 2013.

1. JAramini

JAramini Savant (320) New York Jun 5, 2005

I saw the thread of someone asking if $100 was too much to pay for Rare and one of the comments indicated that it would be cheaper than trying to trade for it. I have a bottle and wonder if I should trade it and, if so, how I'd be able to do.

I received two bottles as a Christmas gift when it was released, drank one, and have been hanging onto the other, debating if I should drink or trade.

I don't trade much and don't care much about "big whales."

My short list of beers I've never had that I'd like to try include Dark Lord, Darkness, and Zombie Dust. Wondering if I could turn my single whale into some smaller whales that would last me longer.

Thoughts?
  2. crushedvol

crushedvol Savant (265) Illinois Jan 29, 2008

I'd clear your inbox
    libbey, drewba, Duff27 and 14 others like this.
  3. my guess is you can EASILY get a bottle of dark lord, darkness, a sixer of zombie dust and some nice extras if you trade this. And people will sing your praises as the most generous trader

EDIT: don't forget about extras on your side too, apparently they are required now
    3rdto1st likes this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

You can pretty much get a mixture of a lot of things you want to try. Dark Lord, Darkness and Zombie Dust would be a piece of cake. Looking at your wants now, which is full of fairly easily obtained beers, I'd say you could destroy a good amount of your list with a Rare.
  5. JAramini

I doubt this will torpedo the trade value, but I'll mention that when I had the first bottle I thought it was very nice, but not all that far behind the regular BCBS.

Also, I'm all for big stouts, barrel-aged stouts, and good hoppy beers. Sours and wilds don't interest me (since those seem to be some of the biggest whales).
  6. JAramini

Three messages in my inbox already - totally should've said I was "curious" or "asking for a friend."

And I don't want to BS extort people or try to trade to the highest bidder - I've been thinking of trading it away for awhile and didn't want to try to ask too much or trade it away for too little.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

You could say the bottle touched you in inappropriate ways, knocked your dog up and stole money out of your sock drawer and it wouldn't hurt its trade value.
    sliverX and innuendobrewskiman63 like this.
  8. crushedvol

crushedvol Savant (265) Illinois Jan 29, 2008

Just increased the value in my mind
  9. I'd trade a Dark Lord, Darkness ++. Shoot me a BM is you wanna try and work something out.
  10. or you could take it to a bottle share and try a boat load of beers rather than trading for a few individually
    Kaydogg, Holland and sliverX like this.
  11. Case of Pliny, Blind Pig, Black Tuesday, Hopsickle, KBS ++ locals.

AND I'll pay for both of our shipping. BM me OP
  12. You should not trade it for Zombie Dust. If you have any decent locals, that should be enough to land some fresh Zombie Dust. Rare is never coming out again, Zombie Dust is available almost all the time.
  13. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I'll bid $101....
    Azzy and joetouchton like this.
  14. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

What a shitty comment. :(
  15. trxxpaxxs

trxxpaxxs Advocate (650) New York Mar 5, 2010

Bring it to the next tasting.
    sliverX and FUNKPhD like this.
  16. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

You could easily ask for 2xDarkness, 2xDark Lord, and a sixer of Zombie Dust, and your trade would be completed in an instant and you'd get multiple offers.
  17. sorry your computer does not detect sarcasm, and it was a reference to a recent thread where people when crazy becuase every one basically said no extas=bad trader. i disagree with extras being required
    pjeagles and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  18. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Yeah - people here have tight panties, usually twisted. I understood your comment and laughed =)
  19. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

No, I got it. It was still a shitty thing to say and had nothing to do with this thread.

I read through that whole thread, and the theme behind the pro-extras team was you're only a bad trader if you don't tell the guy you're not including extras. You don't believe in extras, fine. Just let the other guy know because, as cavedave discovered (http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/extras-poll.32704/), 93.8% of traders always do.

To not mention it and not send any extras is a DICK MOVE. (Don't worry Mordor, you'll get your money. ;))
    cbeer88, black13, tewaris and 2 others like this.
  20. All i got from reading it was entitlement. I usually mention that I will be sending extras, and don't complain to the people who have not (short list). If both senders neglect to mention one way or the other and one sends em and one does not well shame on them both for bad communication, not bad trading practices.
  21. Hugonaut13

Hugonaut13 Advocate (710) Illinois Nov 29, 2012

I'm price is right'n this. 102!
  22. You mean regular BCBS was better than Rare right? I would agree.
    cfh64 and FUNKPhD like this.
  23. Anonymous1

I agree. Extras are supposed to be extras, hence the name. I'm sure that's the way things started out... but now they are definitely "required". For better or for worse.

I've sent out extras in all of my trades except for when the box is full, and I've communicated that I wont be including them. That's just the standard now, and it's an easy enough courtesy to communicate.... but if it weren't for the entitlement, it shouldn't really be necessary.

That being said, I don't get bent when someone doesn't reciprocate....because they're EXTRAS!
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  24. MordorMongo

For the love of God, extras are NOT required. All that is REQUIRED is communication. When 93+% of BA's send extras it is common courtesy if you aren't just to make sure they know that....that isn't feeling entitled, it is being a decent human being. Let them know you are in the 7%, that's all. Why is this so hard to understand?

If someone won't trade with you once they know you won't send extras, then you probably didn't want to trade with them in the first place, so no harm, no foul.

Also, Rare is good and I will up my bid to $103.
  25. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

We tried this already. All of you shut the fu#k up about extras and let this man auction his beer.

spaceshuttlelaunch.gif
    cbeer88, black13, UNCCTDawg and 2 others like this.
  26. tut2528

tut2528 Savant (460) Illinois Sep 26, 2008

sit back and just watch the trade forums for a couple of weeks. you will get a much better understanding of what you can get in return for your Rare.
  27. JAramini

Thanks all - and if any of you who inboxed me are watching this - I may end up trading, I may not. There is a local tasting group I've been chatting with a bit, but I thought it was for hardcore traders/Capt Ahab protégés only, but it may not be, and I may share it there.

Sorry to be the guy on Pawn Stars who hears everything the expert has to say and decides to keep his ivory bidet after all.

Some very good trade offers out there that I really badly want to take, but I may do the tasting group, I may make a trade, but I did want to investigate the market.
    trxxpaxxs and apaisncsu like this.
  28. Anonymous1

I agree communication is easy, and a common courtesy. Like I stated in my original post I always include extras or communicate that I wont be able to due to a full box.

I'm just saying that if 93% of BA's get bent when they don't get extras in return, then that's entitlement.

The point of an extra is to give and expect nothing in return. Unfortunately, extras are now the expectation when that the exact opposite of what they should be. That's all I'm saying.
    plumcrazyfx likes this.
  29. Don't let us intimidate you, we open everything from minnows to super bleached out whales, and stuff half of us don't even know existed.
    libbey and trxxpaxxs like this.
  30. rare tasted better at launch than it does now.
    Levitation likes this.
  31. MordorMongo

A couple Rare may get you a Kopi Luwak Speedway, from what I understand that is the most expensive coffee in the world. Which means it has to be the best. I would jump all over this if I was y'all.
  32. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

So let me get this straight
    2008 bcbs is tasting amazing right now but Rare which is 2008 aged simply in a different barrel has dropped off significantly.
    BA math never adds up.
    atoulouk and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  33. JAramini

I do prefer the intense bourbon in fresh BCBS, and the Rare was mellower at launch. So, aged it may be too mellow in bourbon character for my tastes.
  34. fixed
  35. SteelersX

[quote="Levitation, post: 842527, member: 3577Rare quote]

Nope. Not at all. I just trust my palate and Rare is still tasting amazing
    The variable you speak of is actually sour grapes and pure jealousy
  36. SteelersX

Rare was so bourbon packed when fresh and I originally thought it was impossible to get any more bourbon character into bourbon county without ruining it. Then I had Rare. Pow. I'm glad I still have a few
    $40 is pricey but they were worth it.
  37. damn, and here i thought oxidation was important in the aging process.
  38. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Wouldnt Rare be 2009 BCBS? Was packaged in 2010.
    mikecharley likes this.
  39. MordorMongo

2 years oxidizing in barrel. Math.
  40. SteelersX

Wow
    I must take my hat off to your genius.
    Love how you state the obvious
    Too bad your reading comprehension skills fail you.
    You have way too much time on your hands.
    Oh well maybe I'll to crack an over the hill. Over OXIDIZED mess of a Rare.
    I'm sure its going to suck

Ha ha