Bourbon County Sightings

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by chi16brew, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The last news from Goose Island was that the second batch of BCBS would be on tap only with a May release. Has anyone seen any in Chicago yet?

2. willseph

willseph Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 31, 2011

Beer Bistro and Beer Bistro North will have it on tap next week for Craft Beer Week.

3. bishocr

bishocr Aficionado (185) Illinois Dec 30, 2010

4. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

5. GonkDroid

GonkDroid Aficionado (175) Illinois Apr 30, 2011

Maple Tree Inn will have BCBVS tonight starting at 5:00pm. According to BeerMenus.com it will be $15 for a 9 ounce pour.

6. aefbjo

aefbjo Savant (285) Bahamas Jun 8, 2005

Come on... $15, seriously?

MarcatGSB, damngoode and iceatalamo like this.
  7. I wish I was there. I'd pay $20. Never had Vanilla, I'll pay that to try something once.

8. aefbjo

This is still 2010 Vanilla I assume? One of the best beers I have ever had (see my avatar) and it was tasting amazing six months ago. Do what thou must.

9. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Advocate (560) Illinois Apr 23, 2010 Verified

WTF seriously? Its an amazing beer, maybe even my favorite, but that is ridiculous. If a 9oz pour of that is $15, I don't want to imagine what they are going to charge for a bottle of King Henry. If they were open and I could find out, I could determine if its worth my time at all to go there. I'd almost rather just go to Fountainhead, though I have no clue what their prices will be either.

10. They have King Henry listed for $30/bottle

11. Dontcounttoday

OK thats actually not terrible. I've never seen it lower than $27

12. FlssmrBrewAlum

FlssmrBrewAlum Savant (295) Illinois Feb 25, 2009 Verified

I'm pretty sure they re-create vanilla for keg releases. It's not that same batch from the bottled release..

It's not too hard.. just no full scale bottle release.

Seems like several kegs are getting sent out for the week.

13. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Advocate (640) Illinois Feb 27, 2009 Verified

I would think they are all 2010 Vanilla kegs they have held on to. There has been several other tappings of it around Chicago this year already.

14. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Savant (265) Illinois Jan 12, 2008

Yeah, Maple Tree is really pulling one over on craft beer fans who want a taste of something good. $17 for a bottle of KBS? Get lost! I like that place, but this is ridiculous.

15. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

We sell King Henry for $22 a bottle, but we aren't in the craft beer mecca that is Chicago.

SteveKotajarvi likes this.
  16. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (565) Michigan Dec 16, 2011 Verified

When I picked one up a few month's ago from Siciliano's in GR, MI, I snagged it for $17.

17. FlssmrBrewAlum

FlssmrBrewAlum Savant (295) Illinois Feb 25, 2009 Verified

It's not really pulling one over on you if they have the price well advertised in advance..

If you don't like the price, scroll past.. if they still sell out or sell well (Or they keep it around at that price as long as they want to), good for them.

EDIT: Well, not good for them. It is a shitty price.. but it's their business and their choice.

18. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (660) Illinois Jan 7, 2011 Verified

[​IMG]
    [Citation needed] Borrowed from FalconA

19. Meh. I had BCBVS at Twisted Spoke for last year's CCBW and it was just too sweet for my liking. The coffee though, was delightful, as was the BCBCS I had for my anniversary. But yea, $15 for 9 oz? I'll pass.

20. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (380) Illinois Dec 31, 2010 Verified

Fresh BCBCS is by far my favorite (besides Rare, of course). Vanilla is a close 2nd. But it will be making quite a few sightings around the Chicagoland area through CCBW. So you will definitely find it cheaper than $15 for 9 oz.

Here's to hoping one of them will be on tap at Beer Under Glass tonight...

21. BCBVS is definitely flowing now at Fountainhead.

22. anyone know how crowded it is?

23. Dontcounttoday

What's the pour going for there?

24. ravot

ravot Advocate (515) Illinois Mar 20, 2012 Verified

hello again. yeah definitely stoked to try vanilla, hoping i catch it on here before i miss out on the bars.

25. nharres

nharres Savant (350) Illinois Feb 8, 2012 Verified

Anyone know of other tappings of BCBVS during CCBW? Can't make it tonight, but really want to try the stuff...

26. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Savant (265) Illinois Jan 12, 2008

Looks like $10 for a 9 oz. pour.

foobula likes this.
  27. Kwaz

Kwaz Aficionado (165) Illinois Mar 31, 2012

I had BCBVS at the binny's south loop GI tap takeover a few weeks ago and it tasted fairly flat to me, like the vanilla had faded in the year and a half since bottling. I had it again today at Fountainhead and it was VASTLY different. What they're pouring at Fountainhead is powerful, bourbon and vanilla straight to the dome. One of the best pours I've ever had. Get yourself over there right now if you're in range before they're out!

28. abanton

abanton Aficionado (240) Michigan Nov 19, 2010 Verified

There better be one of those left for me in the fall, Marc!

MarcatGSB likes this.
  29. moefriedman

moefriedman Savant (305) Illinois Feb 15, 2012 Verified

was @Fountainhead at 4, left at 5. Wasn't crowded yet and everyone was there for vanilla BCBS. Had one for $10 and was delicious. Stay clear of the Brooklyn COnnconction. Bad call on my part.

30. Dontcounttoday

Has Fountainhead tapped out yet? Day 1 and BCBVS and King Henry is gone at Maple Tree Inn. Sorry they had only 4 bottles of KH and I grabbed one upon opening.

31. atone315

atone315 Champion (870) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008 Verified

Do you have a place in the Yooper or is that just where you are from? I find myself in the Keweenaw often!!!

32. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Grew up in Allouez and now live in Great Sand Bay, and am part owner of Fitzgeralds in Eagle River. Next time you are up stop in and I will gladly buy you a beer and I always enjoy BA visitors!

33. atone315

atone315 Champion (870) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008 Verified

Done!!!

Sorry for strolling off topic......$15 for 9oz of anything besides booze? Only in Chicago....

34. The BCBVS at fountainhead was probably the original 2010. Drank one with another BA I met at the bar an we both felt that the vanilla was almost nonexistent. Still a good brew but it was 86ed about 2 hrs ago.

35. My original intent here was finding the 2011 bramble rye second batch that comes out in kegs, has anyone seen or heard any news on it in Chicago?

36. Khazadum

Khazadum Savant (395) Illinois Apr 29, 2010

There was only one batch.

37. Khazadum

Khazadum Savant (395) Illinois Apr 29, 2010

Nope its old vanilla from 2010.
    Tweet laffler if you want, he will support the information. They have been off loading these kegs for months now to hype the shitty Fulton series beers.

38. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Wasn't it a real PITA to brew the vanilla, hence why they're not making it again? I heard somewhere that it gunked up the tanks or something.

39. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Huh? :confused:

So 9 oz. of BCBVS for $15 (a beer that is 1.5 years old, presumably aging well) is ridiculous, but $30 for a 22 oz. bottle of King Henry isn't terrible? That extra $6 and change for bomber price is that ridiculous?

40. aefbjo

I'm unclear as to who's talking Bout bars vs shops. $30 at a bar is more reasonable than at a shop...

MarcatGSB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.