1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Sightings

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by chi16brew, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Binny's Skokie took my name and number when I was in on Monday getting FBS, and I didn't receive a call either. Fortunately I got BCS elsewhere also.

2. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

For those that are in the West suburbs and want some on tap Cellar Door of Downers Grove (full disclosure, I do manage their sister store in Hinsdale) will be tapping a keg 5pm Tuesday. I haven't finalized pricing and pour sizes yet, but estimate a 10oz snifter pour for about $10. We only got a 1/6 barrel so we're unsure how long it will last (especially since me and my tasting buddies will be there drinking it)

So come on down for a glass in a nice relaxed wine bar atmosphere. I always love meeting BA's so feel free to introduce yourself to me. I'm sure I'll be the one pouring it for you.

Here is the event page: http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/56867

TotallyHosed and Gonzoillini like this.
  3. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Next time specify to everyone that they need to keep it a secret (unless you did this time already and someone just didnt follow directions).

4. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

You had me convinced to attend until this point. Meet you and your tasting buddies? I'll pass. ;)

5. loki993

loki993 Aficionado (240) Michigan Apr 16, 2009

I guess its time for me to start calling around.....

Oh I understand and Im on your side. It really wasnt aimed at you but it was more of an amusing post as to how a few comments about someone pricing something way higher then everyone thinks it should be tends to bring the trolls out of the woodwork.

I totally agree but there are those on here that seem to take things a bit more seriously then they should be and seem to like arguing about things like that even more then they claim to like beer.

and that's all I have to say about that

szmnnl99 likes this.
  6. binnys25

binnys25 Zealot (75) Illinois Jun 6, 2010

We will be releasing BCBS on Wednesday at 9A.M in Downer's Grove. It will be first come first serve. There is a 4pk limit since we are not getting that much this time around. We will not be doing any reservations for this beer. If anything changes, I'll post here and on our twitter account @dgcraftbeers.
    Cheers
    Vince

1noa, C2H5, stevegoz and 7 others like this.
  7. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

8. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

ABisonEgo likes this.
  9. Durb777 likes this.
  10. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

For those who werent able to attend, digestif was absolutely incredible. Highly recommend seeking out, if you're into that whole chocolate habanero dubbel thing.

11. You forgot "Bretted". That base beer was a bretted dubbel. It definitely stands out in the barreled version.

kawilliams81 and Grohnke like this.
  12. 71gto

71gto Savant (270) Illinois Jun 3, 2009

I went Friday night, makes sense now. Sounded like you went after me.

13. MarkFy

MarkFy Savant (280) Illinois Dec 18, 2009

It was great, but glad I just got a sample of it. Can't imagine a full glass of it. BCBS still flowing when I left Clybourn at 730. Cheers!

14. What are the charging for bcbs at the source?

15. $10/10 oz snifter. Honestly, I felt like my pours were more than 10oz. Also, I completely second those recommending digestif. It's a rare instance where you have a beer completely unlike any other you've ever had and it's amazing. I don't think I could do more than one in a sitting, but it is absolutely worth seeking out. Truly unique.

kawilliams81 likes this.
  16. agwalters

agwalters Aficionado (175) Illinois Nov 10, 2006

Digestif burns in an amazing way. Every sip caused me to put the glass down and question whether I could have another....but the overall taste of it kept causing me to say YES.

10oz of BCBS + 10oz of Digestif = Goooooood night!

17. je1129

je1129 Aficionado (220) Iowa Feb 22, 2011

Anyone know when it will make it to Dekalb or Rockford? Ill be there soon.

Prager62 likes this.
  18. Anyone hear when it is actually being released in the cheese land? Im hearing early as late next week to 2 and a half more weeks.

19. Zeller12

Zeller12 Aficionado (120) Wisconsin Nov 14, 2010

I heard this week for Kenosha area.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  20. Vav

Vav Savant (485) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

[​IMG]

21. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Vav, I admire you sticking up for your fellow Binny's employees, but you have to admit it the whole thing does seem bizarre -- a mix of a guaranteed list and a raffle, while implying that everyone has an equal chance via a raffle. On top of that, stephenieman is enough of a regular that samie85 knew his phone #, and yet somehow didn't know the raffle that he ostensibly won even existed. Maybe not aliens, just a rigged system is all.

I'm sure there's a good reason you don't allocate rare bottles in such a convoluted fashion at your store.

22. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

More reasons why raffles inherently suck (for this sort of thing, anyway...).

Also, I had no idea Mr. Tsoukalos had entered meme territory. While I feel it's a bit simplistic toward the Ancient Alien hypothesis, that shit's fuckin' hi-larious (dammit, where's HistoryAdvocate so's we can debate that shit!?). Adam, you've made my day yet again...

23. Vav

Vav Savant (485) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

My point is this: Just because the system didnt work for you this time doesnt mean it's rigged.

The individual in question (Full Disclosure: He's a friend of mine) i know for a fact is a once/twice a week customer at Skokie. It seems that he was rewarded for his loyalty. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

As for my store, i'll be frank: If i say i'm sold out, there is a pretty good chance there might be something in the back i'm holding for a good customer. Or i stashed cases in the Vintage Program. If i were to do a raffle, i would probably hold a few back for the same reason. There's no conspiracy. It's just business.

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

[​IMG]

Now send me a private message and find a time to come in when i'm around to pick up a 4pk of the BCS i had put aside for myself.

Zaphog, KingBiscuit, JmH and 3 others like this.
  24. leftyhyzer

leftyhyzer Aficionado (240) Indiana Jul 10, 2012

Just got an email from lp whole foods raffle. Guess I get to eat/drink the bear this time. No homo

25. BDub81

BDub81 Aficionado (125) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

We actually told people to spread the word. We had a great crowd. Everyone that was there got to enjoy multiple glasses..

26. My brother in law asked me where/when he could find some in the Dexter, MI area. Does anyone know? I saw MI was getting their BCS this week. The Meijer by their house had an awesome beer selection, so I told him to call there.

27. moefriedman

moefriedman Savant (260) Illinois Feb 15, 2012

Shocker!!
    Capone's is on;y charging $23.99 per Beermenus.com
    Must be some sort of catch to it.
    La Primera is $29.99

da_bulls likes this.
  28. Prestige on Cass comes out to $34+ with tax. Needless to say I passed on that

29. jpsy422

jpsy422 Savant (300) Illinois Jul 12, 2009

Binnys st Charles ~$24/4pk after tax limit 1 4pk

They got in 15 cases.

je1129, wsnich, ravot and 1 other person like this.
  30. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

Thanks for posting this. My buddy in Geneva has been looking everywhere for it, and I just gave him a call.

31. TotallyHosed

TotallyHosed Savant (340) Illinois Jun 20, 2009

Still pouring at Goose Clybourn. I agree with those that have described a black licorice flavor. I also think this is due to some more charred oak flavor. However, I do not think it's hotter than the last two releases (keg only/2011 bottles).

The Digestif is very interesting. If you enjoy pepper brews, this is a must. It reminds me of Conquistador de Muerte Porto.

mbockstruck30 and Dontcounttoday like this.
  32. It's worth it if it's true.

33. I noticed the black licorice flavor too. Isn't night stalker supposedly the base beer for BCS, that beer has a really strong black licorice flavor when it has some age on it and the massive amounts of hops fade.

34. mdomask

mdomask Savant (310) Illinois May 27, 2012

I've been told by a GI cicerone that Night Stalker, Big John, and Bourbon County share the same base beer. It's anyone's guess as to how true that is. The recipe information on GI's page shows them using the same malts, but different hops, fwiw.

35. TMoney2591

There was a separate base stout (can't remember the name at the moment). Dry-hopped, it's Night Stalker; with cocoa/vanilla (whatever it really was), it's Big John; aged in the barrels, it's BCS. Such is my recollection of the the situation...

36. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (170) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

This is the impression that I was under as well.

So, have they never released just the base stout?

37. TMoney2591

I wanna say it's been on at either Clybourn or at fests in the past, but I could be wrong. I do know it sure as hell ain't a common sighting in the slightest...

38. TotallyHosed

TotallyHosed Savant (340) Illinois Jun 20, 2009

That's right in the sense that Night Stalker and BCBS share the same base. Night Stalker is hopped up while, obviously, BCBS is BBA.

Yes, both Night Stalker and Big John had been bottled and released. No longer available, however it's been spotted around the country as recently as two months ago.

dlello2 likes this.
  39. mdomask

mdomask Savant (310) Illinois May 27, 2012

Saw both of them in the cooler at GI Clybourn last night.

ABisonEgo likes this.
  40. cadaugherty

cadaugherty Savant (465) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

The base beer is known as Cook County stout. It hasn't been commercially bottled, but popped up on draft at a few special events in the past (last time I can think of was about 2 years ago though).

Dontcounttoday likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.