1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Sightings

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by chi16brew, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adding to this, my understanding is that Greg Hall initially crafted the "Cook County Stout" specifically to take to barrel-aging (or it was later formulated to do so). I think the "Cook County Stout" would be more of a novelty (nothing wrong with that!) than anything since it's effectively an unfinished beer (from the brewer's perspective).

cadaugherty likes this.
  2. cadaugherty

cadaugherty Savant (465) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

Completely agreed. I have always been told that it was designed as a jumping off point and never really intended to be a stand alone product.

3. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

they have been on the "vintage menu" the past week.

4. stouts4me

stouts4me Savant (410) Illinois Oct 9, 2011

Spring Hill Mall Liquors 222 w. main st, just got BCBS, but it is rapage - $33 a 4-pack. Have at it guys.

5. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (455) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

so i think the current price record is $45/4 set by foremost on kedzie/wilson (as discussed earlier in this thread)...hope no one tops that. yeesh.

edit: i set myself a price ceiling of $30/4 at most - gotta have some discipline!

6. Vas Foremost still has a bunch at $26.50 so around $29-30 with tax. I went there yeserday and they had a bunch of cases still on the floor. 1 4pk per person

7. tinypyramids

already got one there, and the dude knows me so i won't be able to get a second. surprised they still have it after a whole weekend and change..

ABisonEgo likes this.
  8. bertram

bertram Savant (350) Illinois Dec 18, 2010

I was really surprised at how much there was to go around - I had my two (plus my Wookey) and had to leave, but it looked like people were able to pretty much get their fill. Well done tapping!

9. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

when i was there a couple weeks ago they only had night stalker! (in which i picked up 3 bottles)

but they also had super old vintages of matilda and pepe nero (04 and 05 i think?)

10. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (170) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

Yes, I'm well aware of these 2 in bottles, which are essentially variants of the base (one dry hopped, one with cocoa nibs).

This is the info I was looking for. Thanks.

11. So no other fresh sightings? I know W Grocer in Wicker Park/Bucktown got their allotment -- but there's a list and it costs $29.99/4-pack anyway. Other Loop-ish stores (Warehouse Liquors, Un-Cork-It, etc.) also expect it tomorrow or the day after.

For those still looking, there are still stores out there who haven't gotten any yet!

12. tinypyramids

priced as advertised. came out to about 26 something after tax. they should be getting more in on thursday.

13. Woodmans in North Aurora calld and said its a 4 Pack limit and $6.99/bottle? Just in case someone doesn't want 4 bottles? Right....Like that would happen. Passed on it. $25/4 pack is my limit.

14. aefbjo

aefbjo Savant (275) Bahamas Jun 8, 2005

Got my call at Whole Foods today for a reasonable $22.99 4pack. Glad I asked to get on the list.

15. haruspexvic

haruspexvic Savant (265) Illinois Aug 23, 2012

archer liquors on the southside, picked up a pack for 24.99

16. Vas had some come in today and are expecting some more on Thursday.

17. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

I thought it was supposed to hit Indiana this week?

Stopped in to all the stores i visit most since they get their trucks on Tuesdays and nothing...one store actually gets shipments friday. Hopefully he'll have some then.

18. I wouldn't be too worried. Some Chicago burbs are getting it yet this week. Just because the distributors got it on the 17th doesn't mean it's hitting shelves the next day.

dsal89 likes this.
  19. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Look man....this is serious bidness. I dont need to think logically during times like this!

...but youre right. Hopefully friday now :)

20. binnys25

binnys25 Zealot (75) Illinois Jun 6, 2010

D.G Binnys sold out in about 30 minutes. We had a line about 30 people deep right when we opened.

21. Binny's Willowbrook has it in

22. mdomask

mdomask Savant (335) Illinois May 27, 2012

On the shelves in? When I called them earlier today, they said they had to satisfy a list before they'd release any to customers.

23. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

i think it was bottled under "night stalker" but i could be wrong

24. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

Do you guys think 24.99 is price gouging? that's what I paid at my local liquor store

25. I wouldn't say so, the place charging $45, now that's gouging.

26. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

You are.

Nightstalker was a heavily hopped variation. I remember the days when Nightstalker was a certified Whale DONG.

27. They have it in back. I called earlier today and it wasn't in yet and was told same thing. I was just out for lunch and thought I'd call again since I was right there and told they have it and you have to ask for it.

28. mdomask

Not even close. It's a couple dollars above Binny's, but right in the ballpark.

29. Good God Y'all!

30. Seven999

Seven999 Aficionado (100) Illinois Oct 18, 2010

I was actually watching this conversation as well (sorry for being a lurker, most of the time). I stop at the Skokie Binny's probably about once every 2 weeks now, since I started working in Evanston, and I was one of the first to get my name into the raffle at Binny's Skokie as well - it looked like 2nd or 3rd slip of paper to go into the box.

I also did not receive any calls. I managed to pick up a 4-pack of BCBS at Whole Foods, so it doesn't bother me too much, except on principle. They said they made it through the full raffle list, right? Or am I hearing things incorrectly?

I've been in 3 raffles now at Binny's Skokie, and also have never been called. Before I've chalked it up to bad luck - this time I'm not so sure anymore, if it is true that they made it through the whole raffle list. If they didn't, then fine, still bad luck. And maybe somehow I got my phone number on the paper wrong, but I very much doubt that.

Whatever. I just am getting less and less likely to make stops by Binny's Skokie and just head elsewhere instead. It's just beer, and even with the special releases I can just head by other Binny's or hole in the wall joints.

foobula likes this.
  31. This is correct. I was told there was people from the last release that didn't get any (possibly new people also?) that would get a chance to get some and then they would put in on shelves if there's any left.

32. They do have a list I've been told but they have already figured out how many they can sell because I picked a 4 pack up without being on the list. I went to the service desk, asked for bourbon county, the woman went over the speaker and asked someone to bring it to the desk from back.

kawilliams81 likes this.
  33. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

Shaffers in Skokie has it in. I got a call from them because i was calling around last week looking for BCBS and they were nice enough to take my name & #. Don't think there's a list, I would assume you have to ask for it though, probably not on the shelf. I already got my fill so I passed on this, hopefully someone else gets an opportunity to try it for the first time.

Treebs likes this.
  34. United Liquors, 63rd and main street in Downers Grove had 4 cases as of noon today, no limit $24.99/4pk.

stevegoz and PDZ like this.
  35. These people's phone doesn't know what just hit them.

ravot, BrianBo and ChiTownPackFan like this.
  36. 4 cases no limit, 20 minutes ago. Long gone by now

37. ShortHop

ShortHop Aficionado (120) Illinois Apr 24, 2008

Interesting, I was told by Binny's Willowbrook that they no longer do lists.

38. jdhende

jdhende Savant (355) Illinois Sep 27, 2010

What whole foods?

39. ShortHop

ShortHop Aficionado (120) Illinois Apr 24, 2008

Anyone know of locations around Glenview that may have gotten it in? Thanks.

40. mdomask

They've been very consistent about this every time I've called. During the 2011 release, they overbooked the list. This list is making good on those people who lost out last time around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.