1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Sightings

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by chi16brew, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmsulli

dmsulli Savant (270) Illinois Jan 30, 2012

My girlfriend just scored me a 4 pack at Binnys Lakeview (on Clark). She said she saw Zombie Dust too. (Talk to Vav about the appropriate ratios for his BCBS+ZD blend recipe).

2. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

That would be 8oz of Zombie Dust and 8oz of BCS in a 16oz Nonic glass.

I call it The Sacrilege.

3. moefriedman

moefriedman Savant (270) Illinois Feb 15, 2012

I've actually had it and dug it. At Paddy Longs back at their Barrel Aged tap takeover, they threw Zombie Dust on the BCS tap right after. The bartender gave me the blowout pint which was a nice mix of BCS/ZDust and I found it quite refreshing. I had also been drinking for several hours.

otrejo likes this.
  4. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Well fuck me, now i have to come up with something else D:

5. JmH

JmH Aficionado (135) Illinois Jun 6, 2012

I did a Double Daisy Cutter / BCS black and tan this weekend that was also quite delicious. However, I too, had been drinking for several hours.

6. thetomG

thetomG Savant (430) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

Sounds interesting and all, but for the ultimate back & tan experience you really need to try Sink the Bismarck + Double Black.... it was.... something, that's for sure. #thiswasnotagoodidea

[​IMG]

dlello2, Gonzoillini, ravot and 2 others like this.
  7. I picked up some too, but for some reason the staff questioned me about being there twice, I must have a twin?

8. jdhende

jdhende Savant (355) Illinois Sep 27, 2010

Whole foods in gold coast got it in this morning.

9. Slayer32

Slayer32 Zealot (90) Indiana Jan 26, 2012

The one on Huron? How much?

10. jdhende

22.99 they have everything in the back.

11. Wseitz

Wseitz Aficionado (145) Illinois Apr 25, 2010

I was at Whole Foods Lakeview last night and was told that they hadn't gotten yet (as of last night), and when they did get it, they'd be selling it by the bottle. Don't know if the guy was pulling my leg or not, but that's what I was told. Was fortunate to pick up a four pack at VAS last night.

12. Jplachy

Jplachy Aficionado (200) Illinois Feb 12, 2012

I was lucky enough to grab the last 4 pk at Whole Foods in Schaumburg last night. I've never had it, looking forward to cracking one open.

Mandark likes this.
  13. moefriedman

moefriedman Savant (270) Illinois Feb 15, 2012

Huron sold out already

14. Did the Lakeview Binny's sell out this morning? I was thinking of stopping over at lunch.

15. CLCardinal84

CLCardinal84 Savant (320) Illinois Jan 29, 2012

This is why these boards are around. For people like you who have never had it, to get some. That's why hoarding is lame.

Mandark, sonoma01, Vav and 1 other person like this.
  16. Jplachy

Jplachy Aficionado (200) Illinois Feb 12, 2012

I had the coffee one back in February, but had to buy it second hand. I really loved it. I'm hoping its not a nightmare to get it like it was earlier this year.

17. Monsone

Monsone Savant (350) Illinois Jun 5, 2006

Gold coast whole foods is gone

18. I have not had a chance to get any. Hope to start my hunt today...but I thought that GI released a lot more, is the general sense from people that there has been more out there? Is it hitting in waves?

19. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (480) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

there is a shitload out there. i've gotten five four packs from various stores without calling and buying no more than one from any given store. vas on milwaukee/california still had four cases out on the floor last night and said they were getting more today, though at $26.50/4 (limit 1 4pack) they're priced slightly higher than the rest but still not outrageous (and frankly, i'm shocked they still have as much as they do - it's not like this place has been some huge secret in this thread).

edit: i'm stopping at a case. gotta have *some* discipline!

20. Granted I've gone to almost a dozen locations over a stretch of about 45 miles, but I've been able to track down two cases myself...and before anyone flips out over me buying two cases, it's being split up among 5 people. I'm not just stashing away two cases in my cellar.

Definitely seeing more out there this year.

21. levon15

levon15 Aficionado (210) Illinois Jan 19, 2012

How far South in Illinois is the initial Chicago shipment making it? Any dates for Southern Illinois?

22. jdhende

I'm happy for both regulars who have been drinking this for years and everyone new who has gotten this for the first time.

Goose Island really came through on this release there is a ton available. More importantly they took care of their base here in Chicago while still getting it out their to other states.

dvelcich, eyeenjoybeer, Vav and 2 others like this.
  23. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I'd buy 2 cases. Enough for a year.

kawilliams81 likes this.
  24. tinypyramids

hah. there's no way i could drink even one case in a year. i still have every bottle from the only four pack i got in 2011 because i've been fortunate enough to have it on tap a few times scattered throughout.

25. JimGlonke

JimGlonke Savant (430) Illinois Apr 27, 2012

I fall into the category of first-timers. My plan is to drink one this weekend, one at another point in time TBD, one split with my dad around the holidays, and one set aside in my "cellar" (aka - under the bar table in my kitchen) with a bottle of Burton Baton. I keep debating trying to hunt down another 4-pack, but I keep realizing that I already have more than most and want to keep my beer karma positive...

Vav and CLCardinal84 like this.
  26. That was my initial logic...but I figured it'd better to spread it around.

27. evilc

I think there is enough - people are freaking out for no reason.

I'd wager there are 100,000+ bottles of this stuff out there. Think about it - FFF does what 24,000 bottles of 22oz DL? GI's capacity is much, much larger. Hell maybe 200,000 bottles.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  28. Single bottles for $6.99 at the Foremost Liquor in Villa Park on St. Charles Rd. I passed at that price but it's not too bad if you're still looking.

Unrelated, I've just been randomly going into every mom & pop liquor store I pass to explore. I was really impressed with the selection of stuff at this place. They had a huge selection. Wall of cooler, long aisle of shelving, mix 6 rack. Some good prices (Rev Bombers $.50 cheaper, Brux $13.99, Lady of the Woods $17.99), some way bad prices ($24.99 for Parabola & Double DBA). Unfortunately, a lot of the hoppys are way past their prime. Much better selection than Sal's just down the street.

29. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

FIFY

30. tinypyramids

i'm not sure it's no reason. reports of 30 minute sellouts at most binnys certainly freaked me out until i saw what my local stores were getting and i rested a lot easier after that. after being almost completely shut out of 2011 (got insanely gouged on a 4 of regular, missed out on coffee, was out of town for bramble) i got more anxious than i should have with this release. hopefully i can finish out my case today.

31. danp14

danp14 Savant (270) Michigan Dec 12, 2011

My girlfriend works in Buffalo Grove and the Binny's over there told her they were sold out. She's been unsuccesfull in her search (for me) thus far of smaller and larger stores. If ANYONE has any advice on where a 4pack or even a bottle or 2 could be obtained in the Buffalo Grove/Grayslake area I'd appreciate the help.

32. evilc

I think it is coming in waves - not a one shipment thing. It sold out in 30 min because were shitting their pants.

33. No specific names unfortunately but the best luck that I have had is by going into smaller mom & pop shops as most people (non BA folk) rush to a Binnys (which is why it sells out in 30 min) and then give up if the big name places are sold out.

34. jokemon

jokemon Savant (340) Illinois Apr 3, 2007

Anything around schaumburg?????????

35. danp14

danp14 Savant (270) Michigan Dec 12, 2011

Hey thanks for the advice. I'll take all i can get at this point. There are a few small shops near her house she's checked that has said they either sold out or haven't gotten it yet. Hope is still alive....

36. Cardinal liquors(AKA Sportsman's liquor) on Schaumburg rd told me they are getting some in today.

37. jokemon

jokemon Savant (340) Illinois Apr 3, 2007

Cool thanks! Most places are sold out atm

38. Guess I better start looking tonight! Settle for 2 4pks. 1 for me, 1 to take to some buddies in San Diego and Florida.

39. [​IMG]

Binnys on Grand just got these in about 15 minutes ago. They also have Madame Rose. For MR, you have to be on a list, which is not full. Just call ahead and ask to get on the list for MR, and see if there is a list going for BCBS, as I am not sure myself. I skipped picking it up here, so good luck to everyone else!

Pretty sure Capones got more in today as well, not sure on the list situation there.

ravot and ChiTownPackFan like this.
  40. Ha wow...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.