1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Sightings

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by chi16brew, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

Three moles lived in a hole...yada, yada, yada...the third mole says "all I smell is Bourbon County Stout."
  2. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Savant (280) Illinois Jun 29, 2012

Just a small mom and pop in Aurora... I haven't seen any singles at 9.99 so I thought you might be talking about that one.
  3. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (225) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

I picked up a case in Yorkville, IL at Vat and Vine Liquor. They had two cases left as of 12pm yesterday.
  4. comte70

comte70 Aficionado (105) Illinois Sep 23, 2008

No, you dont need to do that...
  5. binnys25

binnys25 Zealot (75) Illinois Jun 6, 2010

Downer's Grove Binnys still has some! We don't have a huge amount but there is still a bit here. Come and find me and I can get you a 4pk.
    -Vince
    P.S. if you guys don't have it, my twitter tag is @dgcraftbeers
  6. onefmatt

onefmatt Aficionado (170) Illinois Jul 29, 2008

Jewel Osco on Western and Roscoe just got a case. I just picked up a four pack
  7. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (270) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

What are they charging over there?
  8. JoetheMan

JoetheMan Initiate (0) Indiana Nov 10, 2011

Found 4 packs today for 11.49 each. No limit. I realized it was a mistake, but gladly the clerk didn't before I got the hell out of there.
  9. Vav

Vav Savant (485) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Wow, that's a hell of steal.
  10. cetherid

cetherid Savant (385) Indiana Aug 23, 2010

how many cases did you leave with?
    ilovermont likes this.
  11. I'm guessing 17.
  12. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

that's kind wrong man...
  13. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

I guess it depends on how many he bought. I'd probably just go on my merry way with a couple of 4-packs. What's the alternative, ask for a manager and demand that they charge fair market value?
  14. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

The right thing to do is alert someone. They aren't going to change the price on you as thats what it was marked. They will appreciate the heads up and will be thankful for it. Its only beneficial to let the manager know. Whats the worst that could happen, you pay what you were expecting to pay?
  15. BreakingBad

I think so. I agree that it is unfair for store to price gouge but I don't think we as a community should be so petty. At that price the store is losing money and that is not fair especially if it was a small business like a mom and pop liquor store. Idk you don't have to be moral, I personally like to play within the rules.
  16. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

I might say something to the clerk, to the effect of "wow this is a great deal!" And I wouldn't take undue advantage of the situation. I think my responsibilities end there. What's the worst that could happen, the store loses a few bucks, and pays closer attention to pricing in the future.

That being said, I'm sort of playing devil's advocate. I ran into a situation where the price at the pump was something like $0.50/gal lower than every other place in the area. I filled up my tank, but my guilty conscience compelled me to alert the station by phone a little while later.
    BreakingBad likes this.
  17. BreakingBad

yeah totally man I'm not saying that he has to do anything. after all we do live in 'MERICA. but I just wouldn't be able to do that. especially if it was half of the price. To each his own.
  18. ravot

ravot Savant (435) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

i see what you did there. i think.
    aefbjo and Vav like this.
  19. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

$55 for a case of Zombie Dust? I'll take 2.
  20. JoetheMan

JoetheMan Initiate (0) Indiana Nov 10, 2011

Long story somewhat short, last stop on my beer expedition for the day. Very small place (but still a chain, 21st Amendment, so no mom and pop feeling the pain) in a small town in Indiana. Spotted a large cluster of these guys and saw the price tag. Read closer, saw "Bourbon Barrel Stout 4pk - 11.49 each" Sounds good. Grabbed three, being the end of the day I was tapped out and paid full retail for one earlier. Wouldn't ring up, so I grabbed the tag off the shelf for him, which I then noticed it said it was for Bluegrass Bourbon Barrel Stout 4pks. I felt daring so I went for it. He noticed and said, "Funny, I dont see Bluegrass anywhere on these". To which I replied, "Huh, funny." Then paid and left. You can feel bad, but I dont. I spend half my income at these stores and on these beers anyway. Plus, its not like I cleaned them out. Theres still plenty of money to be made and plenty to go around for those interested in north Indy.
  21. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

What a jackass.
    RyanMM, Dontcounttoday, Vav and 11 others like this.
  22. sacullen

sacullen Aficionado (245) Illinois Oct 14, 2008

Then you're that much more of a dick. Karma, brother.
    RyanMM likes this.
  23. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (595) Illinois Apr 15, 2011

Stealing is still stealing whether it's from a chain-store or not. And just because you paid retail price at one store doesn't entitle you to steal from another! This has got to be one of the more douchebag posts I've read on BA.
    TomClem likes this.
  24. I had a similar thing happen a few months back at castle vav. Bought a case of Rittenhouse that rang up as $150 of tequila. I just couldn't see paying half price for something that was obviously wrong. In the end it cost me more, but I sleep better at night.
    pschul4, Vav, TomClem and 1 other person like this.
  25. You're an idiot sorry. The guy is clearly in the wrong morally, but taking advantage of a price mistake is not considered legally theft anywhere. Now if you switched the price tag that is another story but dont go around accessing people of stealing. This is fully the fault of the store employees.

I'm not even sure how I feel about this. Honestly I'd probably pick up a 4 pack or two myself at a mistakenly lowered price. Maybe I am just jaded by the dozen or so price mistake posts on Slickdeals every day.
  26. pmoney

I'm an idiot? Read the guy's post! He knowingly took another sign that had a price listed for a DIFFERENT beer up to the register and convinced the employee that was what he was buying even though the employee said "funny, I don't see Bluegrass anywhere on these". It wasn't a price mistake!

If you don't see anything wrong with what he did, then you're the idiot man. Wtf :confused:

EDIT:
    Vav, pschul4, bertram and 7 others like this.
  27. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (225) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

A lot, $27.99 I think. But it was a place a couple minutes away from me and I didn't feel like driving around.
  28. mattizmyname likes this.
  29. thereal

thereal Aficionado (180) Illinois Apr 20, 2010

I went into Castle Vav last week and stuck a couple of Wookey Jacks in my trench coat pockets to hold them. I then checked out with my 6 pack of PBR, but they didn't charge me for the Wookey Jacks.

THEIR MISTAKE!
    Czar_chasm, Durb777, PDZ and 2 others like this.
  30. Let's assume that the guy isn't lying and that he pulled them off the shelf. They either had no price on them or just were not in the system. They were on a shelf with a sticker marked incorrectly. You grab it off the shelf you point out the sticker price on the shelf, the clerk even notices a difference in the name of the beer and still rings it up. If you think this is somehow theft you're retarded. However wrong it is you are flat out wrong on it being theft. Call up the police and ask what they think
    mattizmyname likes this.
  31. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

It would be hilarious if this thread gets deleted because people are calling each other idiots for having/not having morals.
  32. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

The fact you're even remotely defending him makes me question your morals too.
    Vav, pschul4 and pmoney like this.
  33. apocalypsezombie

apocalypsezombie Initiate (0) May 12, 2012

Oy. I wish everyone who shopped at my store were as honest as the lot of you!
  34. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

If that were the case across the board, there would be no Three Floyds threads still active on BA.
  35. pmoney

If he did nothing wrong, why would he "feel daring and go for it"?
    So let me put it to you this way. Lets say Oude Tart hits my Binny's and they just put it on the floor. I grab a couple bottles knowing they cost about $20 each. The clerk scans one and says "these aren't in the system. could you grab the price sign for me?" I come back with a price tag that reads "Stone 16th Anniversary IPA $7.99". She says "Huh, I don't see anything about Stone or 16th anniversary on these bottles". I pay and walk out.

Did I not do anything wrong? Did I not just steal $12 per bottle from the store?
    Vav, pschul4, thetomG and 3 others like this.
  36. drewba

drewba Savant (365) Illinois Nov 14, 2009

We used to have to do some digging to find out who the real dirtbags were on BA. Thanks for making it easy!
    Vav, seeswo, pschul4 and 6 others like this.

37. You misunderstand me. I acknowledged what he did is morally wrong. However, it is undeniably not theft. Price mistakes, clerk error, none of this is theft. You can put me in the same group as him if you want because in my view price mistakes are a Grey area morally, but it doesn't make it stealing. Watch your wording
  38. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Go away.
    StoutFest, Levitation, Vav and 9 others like this.
  39. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

FWIW, Illinois retail law, subject to interpretation, and I will not enter into a debate as to the elements present in the story and how they may or may not match the descriptions below, but the key to the issue is the 'mens rea' (mental state) of the person at the time of the infraction. Here, the mens rea is called out by use of the word knowingly, which would be key in prosecution of an allegation of theft:

Sec. 16A-3. Offense of Retail Theft.

A person commits the offense of retail theft when he or she knowingly:

(a) Takes possession of, carries away, transfers or causes to be carried away or transferred, any merchandise displayed, held, stored or offered for sale in a retail mercantile establishment with the intention of retaining such merchandise or with the intention of depriving the merchant permanently of the possession, use or benefit of such merchandise without paying the full retail value of such merchandise; or

(b) Alters, transfers, or removes any label, price tag, marking, indicia of value or any other markings which aid in determining value affixed to any merchandise displayed, held, stored or offered for sale, in a retail mercantile establishment and attempts to purchase such merchandise personally or in consort with another at less than the full retail value with the intention of depriving the merchant of the full retail value of such merchandise; or

(c) Transfers any merchandise displayed, held, stored or offered for sale, in a retail mercantile establishment from the container in or on which such merchandise is displayed to any other container with the intention of depriving the merchant of the full retail value of such merchandise; or

(d) Under-rings with the intention of depriving the merchant of the full retail value of the merchandise...

In Illinois it is considered 'petty theft' and a Class 4 Felony if the value of the goods does not exceed $150.

In any event, back to the original topic of discussion please for those still looking for BCBS!
    Vav, ckobes, pschul4 and 4 others like this.
  40. pmoney

The way I was brought-up, deceiving someone and knowingly paying less for something than it costs is stealing.
    pschul4, eyeenjoybeer, nachos and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.