1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Sightings

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by chi16brew, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thereal

thereal Aficionado (180) Illinois Apr 20, 2010

You are right that this does not fit the legal definition of theft. However, it probably does meet the legal definition of stealing, which is about intent. His intent was to defraud the store.

Either way, it meets the actual, real world definition of a total dick move.

wsnich, ehammond1 and crushedvol like this.
  2. apocalypsezombie

apocalypsezombie Initiate (0) May 12, 2012

Tag switching is absolutely theft and you can be arrested for it if the store has proper proof. Several people in the Naperville/Aurora can attest to that after getting hauled away in a cop car from my place of work.

Edit: what lansman said.

3. drewba

drewba Savant (365) Illinois Nov 14, 2009

Deceit isn't a grey area.

EDIT - Literally everyone beat me to it. Turn your brain on, dontcounttoday!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9fWvub_WBho#t=33s

4. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

I also just wanted to point out that I didn't use the word "theft" in a single one of my posts.

Watch your wording ;)

ckobes, thetomG, Shagtastic and 2 others like this.
  5. DROOO

DROOO Aficionado (205) Illinois May 5, 2009

SNAP!

pmoney likes this.
  6. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Anyone know where I can find some BCS? :)

7. JmH

JmH Aficionado (135) Illinois Jun 6, 2012

oh jeez, we're all so impressed by your moral fortitude! :rolleyes:

on with the BCS sightings!

funhog and mattizmyname like this.
  8. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

If you can't find it for $11.49/4-pack, you aren't trying hard enough.

libbey, Vav, ckobes and 7 others like this.
  9. Don't want to quote that whole legal post, but on response to switcing price tags, according to the original post he brought the price tag off the shelf that the BCBS was on. Wrong tag, wrong placement of the beer, or wrong price in system none of this would be the customers fault. As for him knowing the price was wrong well technically he doesn't know the retail price at that store, and prices differ at every store. Clearly the price was low but again he only knows for sure the best nformayion the store gives the customer.

Sorry to drag this out and I really don't care who thinks it is wrong, all that matters is he was called out for stealing. I only have experience with electronic retailers in price mistakes, but there have been several instances I have seen on Amazon alone where something clearly has the wrong price, gets posted to sites like Slickdeals and not only do hundreds or thousands buy them up, Amazon in certain instances has to honor the price mistake. I've never heard of someone being arrested or prosecuted even when getting an item for 1/100th actual cost. Same thing often happens with price misprints in newspapers. To think this is stealing is beyond me.

Also what the OP did violates neither A, B, I really C, and I am not sure what under-rings means

10. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

It's 'cause he noticed the sign's mistake and still went ahead and pressed for that price. Had the sign actually quoted an incorrect price for the BCS, take it from a guy who's worked retail for years (including beer/liquor sales) that the listed price would be honored...then hopefully fixed...and no one would have had as much of a problem with what this guy did.

In effect, he knowingly brought forth an incorrect (lower) price, which, despite the fact that he knew it was wrong (hence the momentary hesitation and the frisky feeling), he expected to pay. Not technically stealing/theft in the strictest sense, but a major dick move that, to many, is tantamount thereto.

Dontcounttoday, Shagtastic and nachos like this.
  11. Rempo

Then shut up.

libbey, StoutFest, Vav and 5 others like this.
  12. Hah no. I don't like to see someone being called a thief or accused of stealing regardless of how little you seem to like his actions. Call him an asshole or scumbag and I'd have nothing to say.

mattizmyname likes this.
  13. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Savant (290) Illinois Jun 29, 2012

I think the original guy who actually did the "stealing/dickbag move" is breathing a sigh of relief and wiping the sweat from his brow in relief that someone else is bearing the BA beat down from his actions

14. pmoney

Would you consider that "stealing" the spotlight? :D

harrylee773 and AJDePaul like this.
  15. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Well, it's about time this thread got shut down anyways

Rempo and thetomG like this.
  16. Rempo

You're a saint.

You're on a site shared by retailers and consumers alike talking about how this is OK:
    Why not tell the owner? Why not educate the salesperson?

libbey, Vav and Shagtastic like this.
  17. AJDePaul

AJDePaul Savant (290) Illinois Jun 29, 2012

I second this...

This kind of happened to me when I first got into "real" craft beer. I was doing a Pick a 6 at Binnys and didn't realize the shelf directly next to the "pick a 6" selection was the manager's desk which had several bottles on it and not just loose bottles that people didn't put back. I proceeded to fill my $8.99/6 pack selection with "Bitch Please" and "Bashah" that were on that desk. They never said anything at the register.

I came to realize next time I was there that they were selling both the BP and Bashah for somewhere around that $9/bottle mark, not for a 6 pack. I told the manager what happened and offered to pay the difference and he said it was their mistake and not to worry about making them whole.

If you say something you will help the owner/manager and they most likely would give it to you for the lower price anyways.

Vav likes this.
  18. PDZ

PDZ Savant (260) Illinois Jun 26, 2012

...well, this is a bad sign...

Man had to be rockin the death avatar too. Chucks corpse wouldnt steal!

19. You guys find a way to turn everything into a ton more pages than necessary and spirals into very offtopic arguments and coversation around here..

funhog likes this.
  20. thereal

Wow. You really "stole" this tread, didn't you?

Vav likes this.
  21. I dunno I guess the moral Grey area doesn't bother me. In this exact situation, I would never hand over the tag for another beer without pointing it out to the clerk, even if the beer was on that shelf.
    If I were simply checking out and it rang up $12 I am not sure I would say anything. Now those people on their high horses can judge me as you wish for a hypothetical situation.

Now we wanna discuss more about the retailers selling a 4 pack at $50+ and I would likely agree with it being called stealing.

da_bulls and mattizmyname like this.
  22. Rempo

We get it, you like RateBeer. :)

libbey, StoutFest, RTrain12 and 4 others like this.
  23. I guess it's not offtopic.. it's just really odd..

24. FWIW, I like BA. I like the people I've met from here. They are very generous and good people. You guys are passionate and energetic around here. And it's fun to promote cross-posting, etc across all communities. Not just RB and BA.

I just never understand how topics just spiral and veer here so easily,

25. Rempo

I think it comes from the old site, which had the indented responses.

26. funhog

funhog Savant (425) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

Oooooohh.... this is getting better than the photo of 17 cases of BCBS.......
    I'll be right back with some popcorn...... and a BCBS:cool:

apocalypsezombie likes this.
  27. mdomask

mdomask Savant (310) Illinois May 27, 2012

Love popcorn. Love BCBS. That sounds like the worst pairing ever.

Unless it's Garrett's caramel popcorn. That could actually work.

ravot and pmoney like this.
  28. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Popcorn BCS? Where can I find that? Too bad there is no mention of Bourbon County in the Bourbon County Sightings thread. Someone should create a thread where a bunch of passionate people can share their honey holes of BCS! Idea!

29. Vav

Vav Savant (485) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Thanks for your honesty. Let me know when you can drop in when i'm in the store, i'll buy you a beer at Goose and, if you're interested, i'll sell you a King Henry.

30. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

Back to what the original thread is supposed to be about, I came across some more BCBS here in the far west burbs again for the low low price of $29.99/4-pack. This is about the 5th or 6th store out my way that I've seen BCBS for a rediculous price. Fuck all these stores! It sucks cuz I work and live so close to these price gouging cock suckers but fortunately I haven't been desperate enough to buy any from them and I won't. I have yet to pay more than $21.99/4-pack and I hope to keep that trend going.

31. mdomask

mdomask Savant (310) Illinois May 27, 2012

I got mine with a growler of Pear BCS.

32. crushedvol

crushedvol Savant (265) Illinois Jan 29, 2008

Wish i could like this more than once

libbey, mcbeerbrew and MarkIntihar like this.
  33. DROOO

DROOO Aficionado (205) Illinois May 5, 2009

SNAP!

34. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Yea, absolutely never happens in Rate Beer Summer Gathering threads ;)

thetomG likes this.
  35. SERVED!

lurchingbeast and thetomG like this.
  36. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Oh then I should also probably mention the time I was in your store and I was honest about a particular beer/liquor/wine that I was getting undercharged on and I was honest about and paid full price....

mattizmyname likes this.
  37. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

yeah I saw it yesterday for $29.99 also and told the guy I might come back if I can't find it for cheaper.

38. jdhende

jdhende Savant (345) Illinois Sep 27, 2010

That is awesome. For as many unethical people that are out there I always enjoy a story like this. When in doubt just put yourself in the other persons shoes and imagine if the same thing was going to be done to you. Plus if it's a store you really like don't you want them to succeed? Letting them knowingly lose lots of money just doesn't seem right to me. I guess to each there own though.

39. thereal

And I get nothing for admitting to my GREY AREA theft? Ridiculous.

40. pmoney

Ahh but you see, what you did wasn't theft! It was just immoral, scummy, and stealing. But it was not theft!

RC0032, Dontcounttoday and crushedvol like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.