1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Stout or Black Note?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ChugginOil, Feb 1, 2013.

?

BCBS or Black Note?

1. Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout

71.8%
  2. Bell's Black Note Stout

28.2%
  1. ChugginOil

ChugginOil Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 23, 2010

I love me some Bourbon County as well as all beers aged in barrels. That being said, after trying Bell's Black Note I thought it tasted quite similar to BCBS, just a bit thinner. Kinda like similarities between Pepsi and Coke. So which one stands out more to you?

2. mborden

mborden Savant (420) New York Jan 28, 2009

I voted Black Note, but that might just be the recency effect. Damn they are both tasty beers.

mcrago likes this.
  3. Tough one, but I gotta go with BCBS. However, I think the BCBS will be favored in that poll only because it's been around longer than Black Note, and seems more available.

4. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

BCBS will be favored because it's just a completely different beer. It's bigger, more body, more barrel character. Some other barrel aged beers may have more nuances, but BCBS IS THE barrel aged stout.

5. ndepriest

ndepriest Savant (290) Georgia Feb 21, 2012

Easily Black Note. BCBS is great, but a bit heavy too want more than a couple of times a year. I could drink Black Note all day long.

beerhan and BlackBelt5112203 like this.
  6. Yeah, I agree. That's hard to argue against. The Bell's Black Note is very very good, but yeah the BCBS is everything that you said it is.

7. chrisp450

chrisp450 Savant (300) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

Out of the bottle I think BCBS.

I have had Black Note on tap, and thought it was FANTASTIC. Have yet to have BCBS on tap though...

I know BCBS ages well, hoping Black Note is the same!

Marti403 and BlastBeats like this.
  8. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Depends on what you are looking for. BCBS is more bourbon heavy, which I love. Whereas Blacknote is crazy chocolately, which I love every so slightly less than bourbon. I would drink both of these in as large of quantities as possible, but if forced to choose I would give the edge to BCBS

9. Both tasty vote goes to Black Note the bourbon was present but did not overpower the velvet texture of the stout,also liked the slight coffee and fruit taste also

10. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (205) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

This is a tough one. This year is the first year I've had either and I love both, but they are different beers. BCBS is an 'in your face' BBA stout, and being a big fan of Founders, I love a crazy unbalanced huge flavor beers. That's just where my palette is right now. Black note is so smooth and creamy and yet still soothes the need for BBA beer. It's like BCBS is the devil on one shoulder and BN is the angel on the other. I walked down to the cellar tonight and had both staring me in the face, BCBS won...tonight.

Stevedore likes this.
  11. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

I would go Black Note just based on its availability to me. I will agree with the others who say the two are very different beers and choosing between the two largely depends on preference at the moment.

I will say that I would take Bells Bourbon Barrel Cherry over either, I'll add Bourbon Expedition too.

12. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (590) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

Black note for sure (thx again). That shit is just balance all around. So much flavor.

13. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I've had BCBS more than I've had Black Note, so I guess I'll go with it. Really enjoyed having Black Note on tap, looking forward to eventually trying it again via bottle soon.

14. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Bourbon County is a far superior beer. I did a side by side at the store after work one day and the staff said that compared to BCBS, BN isn't even beer.

BlastBeats likes this.
  15. Couldn't agree more. BCBS great, but its a pretty tough one to get in the ring with consistently. The Black Note is like velvet.

szmnnl99 likes this.
  16. Snowrs

Snowrs Savant (390) Indiana Oct 10, 2009

I poured my BCBS and BN into a single glass and babies with harps flew out.

17. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (710) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Yeah, I let staff choose what I like better all the time... WHAAA?

mellowmark likes this.
  18. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

My hoard of Bourbon County speaks for itself. Black Note was purchased solely to send to those who haven't had it yet.

mcrago likes this.
  19. MichPaul

Hmmm... I have had plenty of BCBS, and only just had my first 12oz of Black Note just two days ago. Blew BCBS out of the park for me. But that's just me. We all have different tastes like we all drive different cars. I wouldn't kick either out of bed. I mean my glass... :p

20. BlastBeats

BlastBeats Savant (425) Illinois Mar 24, 2011

Black Note is really good...

but Bourbon County is definitely the best (while also being the first of its kind)

21. Naterobsnyk4

Naterobsnyk4 Savant (340) New York Jan 25, 2012

Based on drinkability alone I'd have to take black note. I can't put back a bcbs on a consistent basis, where as with Black Note I really could drink it all day long. I enjoy being able to taste the more subtle features, and I found it to be far less hot within the first month or so of brewing.

22. Both beers are excellent, but I have to give Black Note a slight edge. I find it a bit more rounded and easier to drink right away. BCBS is legendary with a few years on it, so the real test for me will be how the Black Note holds up with some time on it.

23. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

can i take both? :cool:

24. rodlavers

rodlavers Savant (435) Pennsylvania Jun 20, 2012

Trying Black Note for the first time, right now, actually, in the 12oz format. I won't be able to pass judgment right away, but I can say that BCBS is one of favorite beers ever. Therefor, BN faces some serious competition. I have one other 12oz bottle, and three of the larger format bottles, which I plan to hold onto for quite some time.

25. BCBS by a huge amount. I was able to try Black Note after the release of the 750s and I thought it was good but nothing all that special for a barrel aged stout.

26. my black note hasn't arrived yet, but my friends are saying it is superior to bcbs

27. BCBS. Black note is amazing but personally I dont think its worth the fuss when compared to similar barrel aged beers like BCBS, BCBCS, Damon, BASC... maybe since its getting vastly easier to get it will be worth the fuss but I would never trade for a 750 after drinking through several growlers of Black Note this fall and realizing that its worth looking for but not worth trading for when BCBS is easier to get.

28. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

Haven't tried Black Note. Just bought my first 4 pack of BCBS last weekend. Drinking the third one now. Wow, it is such a great beer. Had wanted to try it for a long time. It is definitely a top 5 beer.

29. falcon1

falcon1 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 28, 2006

Without any doubt - Goose Island BCBS!

30. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

blew it out of the water, really??? :eek:

31. I wish we got bells in New England. I have read so much about it. I hate to say it but if it was not for AB/InBev I would not be drinking a bourbon county coffee stout right now. Which is AWESOME!!!!!!!

32. Fresh - Black Note
    Aged at least a year - BCBS

33. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

BCS is awesome for the bourbon flavor, while Black Note is more subtle and complex. I wouldn't want all of one or the other. In this case, diversity is good.

34. MichPaul

Dude, I don't know what it was, but that night it sure did! Right out of the friggin water! :)

35. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

I'm finding it pretty amazing that Black Note is so highly sought after. Good For Bell's.

I really like it, but can't seem to catch all the hype on this one.
    I've got a couple bottles, and have had it on tap recently too.

I'll drink it every time it's put in front of me, but will chase others, plenty of them, before I run around, or give up good beer for it. JMO

36. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (280) California Aug 2, 2012

It's like choosing a favorite child - they're each different in their own way, but you love them both :)

Docrock likes this.
  37. Yeah, I thought BN was better than this year's BCBS.

38. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

These two beers are in no way similar enough to say which is "better" in a direct comparison.

39. MichPaul

Both listed as: American Double / Imperial Stout ... I think that qualifies...

40. antoines15

antoines15 Savant (390) California Dec 14, 2008

Had the first and now the second release of Black Note side by side with Bourbon County and it wasn't even close really. BCBS was better in every aspect. Black Note is solid, if unspectacular, while BCBS is dynamite. I think there was four of us drinking and all chose BCBS over Black Note.

siege06nd and CORKSCREWFISH like this.