1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Stout or Black Note?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ChugginOil, Feb 1, 2013.

?

BCBS or Black Note?

1. Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout

71.8%
  2. Bell's Black Note Stout

28.2%
  1. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Both.

2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I would agree on the Bourbon Expedition, that was so a wonderful treat.

3. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

4. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

If anything,BN will get more votes than it should! Its recent distro along with it's relative rarity,gives it "current hype" votes. If only a few cases of BCBS were distro'd to each state,BCBS would certainly win, and by an even greater margin.

LiquidCourage likes this.
  5. corbenlee

corbenlee Aficionado (160) Indiana Apr 27, 2011

This is an interesting thread, IMO even though these are the same stylistic beers I think that they are completely different from each other. When you open a fresh BCBS it is hot, it has a very strong alcohol presence. You don't really get that in blacknote. Blacknote has a more of a cream presence from the bells cream stout it's blended with. When you take a BCBS that has been sitting there for a year or two that over the top alcohol presence is gone, and the beer is fantastic (probably better than a blacknote). But since I don't like to wait that long for a beer to cool down a bit I have to vote for blacknote. Tough decision though.

6. Sure you can. Given the choice, which would you pick. That was easy.

fastenoughforphish likes this.
  7. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

BCBS

Hmmm....that was easy. (Sorry BNSS)

MichPaul likes this.
  8. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

It seems as though BCBS is the standard by which all other BA stout are measured. That being said, my preference goes to BN by the slightest of margins. The standard is not always the preferred choice, but always enjoyed.

9. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Savant (305) Ohio Oct 20, 2007

I find these beers to be quite different, but truthfully, having just had both recently, I preferred Black Note. To me, even with age, BCBS is still pretty "rough" (delicious as well). Black Note is just silky smooth right now. I'd happily trade BCBS 1-1 for Black Note any day.

taxman likes this.
  10. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (525) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Never had either:(

11. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (425) New York Jan 30, 2011

Both are delicious.