1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Stout ruining my enjoyment of other beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Stevedore, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I've been drinking a lot of BCBS and BCBCS lately- whether it's bottles at home or on tap at the pub- probably the equivalent of 8 bottles in the last week. Probably because its been so damn cold lately. Such a good beer to have in the winter. Anyway, yesterday after work I decided to open up a SN Narwhal at home and it did not taste like I remember it. In fact, it tasted like a hot mess. In my confusion, I opened up a bottle of FBS and it was better than the Narwhal but not by much. Hell today, I just opened up a bottle of fresh Hopslam and it didn't taste quite right- couldn't taste the honey though it was bitter as it usually is.

I wonder if I got a bunch of faulty beers or didn't store them properly in my closet @ a constant 65F. Or is it possible that drinking so much Bourbon County beers in a short span lead to the ruination of my palate? Do I need to take a break from beers to allow my palate to recover?

2. jdrum

jdrum Aficionado (130) Illinois Oct 4, 2010

yes you do need a break and should probably send the narwhal, hopslam and fbs my way so it can be properly tested. sincerely jeff

3. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Cool story. I think the answer is obvious.

Take a break.

4. Step it up a notch. Go on a bourbon kick.

5. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

you are only drinking too much bcbs when you begin debating an i.v.

drink-up :D

philly224 and JKIRBY like this.
  6. TIMJ

TIMJ Aspirant (35) Minnesota Jan 17, 2013

I've run into the same problem with some beers. I've been drinking lots of bcbs and when you do change it up to beers you once loved there never the same. It's like test driving a Cadillac then hopping back into your Chevy venture.

Stevedore likes this.
  7. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

Put a splash of Bourbon in everything you drink

Bay01, Scalzo and BuffaloBill12 like this.
  8. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Sorry but you might have to have tongue replacement surgery. When you do make sure you get one that belonged to a BMC drinker, that way the beer you drink will taste better.

LMT and CommanderOfAwesome like this.
  9. I think the answer is pretty clear, just drink bcbs!

Bakker likes this.
  10. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Summer will fix you. :)
    I'll take the ZD and BB Night Train off your hands. ;)

stayclean likes this.
  11. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (365) Michigan May 30, 2010

You need a break!.. send all the bourbon county my way so that you are not tempted to ruin your palate anymore.... this is for your own good! if you dont do this you will never be able to taste another beer again!

12. Stevedore

BA never fails to deliver! I knew I was going to get the usual variety of smart-aleck, sarcastic and serious responses. Have a pint and carry on, my friends.

In some seriousness, I certainly didn't expect my palate to be ruined this badly. I expect it after drinking some sort of palate wrecking DIPA but in retrospect I should have expected it. What other brews have had this effect on folks?

I've come up with the perfect solution- homebrew some BCBS while drinking the couple bottles of BCBS I have left. I've been meaning to move into AG anyway..

jdrum likes this.
  13. buy a bourbon barrel and barrel age EVERYTHING

14. I just had my first BCBS recently and have since been having the same issue as far as any other stout being able to ever stand up to it in my eyes. Had a Bell's Batch 9000 on tap tonight and it paled in comparison.

15. JimPapadop

JimPapadop Zealot (80) Illinois May 12, 2012

[quote="Or is it possible that drinking so much Bourbon County beers in a short span lead to the ruination of my palate? Do I need to take a break from beers to allow my palate to recover?[/quote]

BCBS is such and agressive, complex, amazing beer. It pretty much ruins you...spoils you even; all other beers that once had such a major impression on you, and set the bar for being a massive stout cant compare any more... It's kind of like; Once you've driven a ferarri, going back to a Ford Taurus just aint the same...

16. But my Taurus gots spinnin' rims, bro!

jdrum likes this.
  17. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

ok, you want a serious answer? I burned out my palate... not w/ my beloved BC, but w/ SE Asian food. Waaaaay too many chiles. I mean way too many. Reached the point I could put 6 habeneros in a dish and had to ask my husband to taste it because I didn't detect any spice.

sooo, I did the unimaginable. I stopped eating all spicy food. For about 6 months. I'm still a bit desensitized, but I totally can detect chiles again.
    BC doesn't activate/downregulate your TRPV1 ("chile receptors"), but you can still follow a similar logic to get used to less cranked-up beer again. All it takes is patience grasshopper, patience.

18. i drank my case of heady topper within a 2-3 week timespan and after my heady binge was done and move onto some sculpin it didnt taste like the sculpin i remembered :eek: so i thought the same thing you did and just switched up my style of beer and it worked i guess. hope that helps

19. I ran into the same problem after Purchasing/drinking a few cases of heady. Nothing tasted as good.

20. PLease stop and gaze in amazement at the problems you have.

Bakker and draheim like this.
  21. Bakker

Bakker Savant (285) Illinois Aug 1, 2010

I will drink a bunch of Bcbs & BCBCS over the next few weeks and post my results!

22. Maybe the OP discovered the equivalent of lupulin threshold shift but for BA stouts. Science.

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  23. Benny3000

Benny3000 Savant (375) Michigan Apr 4, 2012

I ran into the same problem with Hopslam last year. I finished a case and all IPA's tasted weak and flavorless. My suggestions is to spend a week drinking Busch Light. It is the eaters equivalent of a cleanse. The following week your beer meter will be reset. Thank me later.

24. I'm yet to have a BBA stout quite like BCBS, it hard to compare it to others, it does ruin many others for me. I know the barrel plays a big part, but the base stout must also be something very special. Does GI sell the normal stout under a different name, or do they brew a special one for BCBS?

25. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (655) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Traded for something like 44 cans of Heady Topper last summer over the course of 2 months. I was obsessed with it. I couldn't get myself to drink anything else.

So I went on a Hoppy beer fast and came out of it in a couple of weeks.

26. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

LOL, I've actually started doing this. Works quite well with Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout.

jaIsPoAn likes this.
  27. Drink a couple GI Big John's, then see how BCBS tastes to you... Somehow, Big John kinda ruined BCBS for me. But now I cannot get enough Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout...

28. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

The base stout is not bottled, but other beers use it as well (Big John is the base plus coco nibs; Night Stalker is the base but heavily hopped).

29. Stevedore

Really? Big John ruined BCBS for you? Is it in a good way or in a bad way?

30. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (330) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

If this is your biggest problem you are a VERY luck man!! Beer Karma will help you. Bring a bottle of bcbs with you to your favorite craft beer bar and strike up conversations with the bartender and patrons and then give the bottle to the most worthy....... Your palate will be fixed by the morning;)

31. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Sounds like AB-InBev started putting chemicals in Goose Island to make other companies beers taste bad:D

32. The OPs dilemma is not mine. In fact it is quite the opposite. A BCBS is extremen. It makes all the other many wonderful beers, especially when a different style, that more fascinating and delicious.