1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Stout vs. Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by WYVYRN527, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Now that I have had both of the recent releases, Central Waters blows Goose Island out of the water. More body, more balance, and much more affordable. I'm curious to see what others think. Haters are welcome to comment.

2. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I like Central Waters BBS a fair bit (halfway through my third 4pk already), but it doesn't compare to BCBS at all. It's cheaper, I'll give you that.

3. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Hm. I've had lots of both this year, and while I love the CW, I can't say that it beats out BCBS yet. Let AB put some corn in it first, then I'll agree with you.

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  4. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

My buddy mnphish made the same observation a few weeks ago. Honestly... I think you guys are spot on. In the past I found Central Waters BA Stout to be just too hot out of the gate but this recent release was sublime. If we are strictly comparing fresh batches, I think CW takes the cake.

We'll see how it stacks up in the long run though. BCBS vintages ('09 specifically) provide a semi-religious experience. I'd love to see Central Waters' latest take on the style age as gracefully as BCBS.

lucas1801, 2beerdogs and dsal89 like this.
  5. stayclean

I think the extra six months really did the trick, though I thought the BCBS I drank fresh (this year's) was AMAZING ('hotter' than the '11 I drank beforehand, but well, that's to be expected, heh). I drank a '11 BBS the day before the new one, and I thought they were pretty comparable actually.

yamar68 likes this.
  6. Very good point. I agree. 2008 and 2009 BCBS were immaculate. I still find the most recent release of the BBS much better. Also, with the way GI treated the Twin Cities market this year with BCBS I'm tempted to drop them entirely from my store.

yamar68 likes this.
  7. Daemose

Daemose Savant (480) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Saint Arnolds Bishops Barrel 1 outclasses both.

Ford likes this.
  8. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (370) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

I haven't had this year's version of CW BBS, but unless it is considerably better than all previous iterations, the two aren't in the same league.

Bung, bozodogbreath, pschul4 and 2 others like this.
  9. ChugginOil

ChugginOil Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 23, 2010

More like CW BBS vs KBS. BCBS destroys both. But on another note, CW BBS is a bit better this year than it's been in the past and has a flavor profile very similar to KBS. Central Waters has a slightly thinner mouthfeel with a transparent color profile.

Redrover and IMSPEAKNOENGLISH like this.
  10. You are OUT OF YOUR MIND. This is coming from a huge Central Waters BBS fan, too. BUT sorry sir, I think you are out. of. your. mind.

Bung, TorsHammer, CityofBals and 11 others like this.
  11. stayclean

I think it would hold up against it better if it were thicker.

jRocco2021, randjuke, pschul4 and 3 others like this.
  12. yamar68

This year's CW BBS is head and shoulders above the previous vintages. They beefed up the barrel treatment, resulting in an entirely different and superior beer (in my opinion).

I think OP is making a very reasonable comparison.

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  13. yamar68

pschul4, MarkIntihar, funhog and 2 others like this.
  14. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I'll have to track down some of this year's batch, I guess. While they are excellent flavor-wise, and great for the price, the entire line of CW barrel aged beers has always provided an extremely thin mouthfeel. For that reason alone, any comparison to most other world class barrel aged barleywines and stouts (i.e. KBS, BCBS, MOAS, Kuhnhenn BBBW, etc.) has been way off base. I like to chew my barrel-aged beers.

15. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Heavyweight vs. Welterweight? This one would never be sanctioned!

16. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Beefed up barrel program doesn't equal a thicker body... OP, did you do a side by side? And what was your BAC when you posted?

MarkIntihar and seeswo like this.
  17. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Both are really good, I prefer to buy the CW due to cost and I think I actually like it better overall, not trying to say one is "better" than the other though because I haven't had enough of either to really say for sure.

18. legend8706

legend8706 Savant (335) Virginia Oct 31, 2012

Would definitely love to try some Central Waters BBL Stout! Anyone have any up for trade? Can't get it in VA, but I do have some Cafe Royale by Williamsburg Alewerks up for trade! BM me!

brother_kenneth and TATURBO like this.
  19. siege06nd

siege06nd Advocate (570) Virginia Dec 29, 2009

LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

You serious, Clark??!?

MammothBrew likes this.
  20. bound4er

bound4er Savant (435) Wisconsin Jul 4, 2007

More body no. Less booze, more balance and way more drinkable yes.

sacrelicio likes this.
  21. Dactrius

Dactrius Advocate (505) Wisconsin Apr 23, 2012

If you're going to compare a Central Waters beer to KBS wouldn't peruvian morning be more appropriate? My attempt to do a side by side last year failed because by the time KBS came out the PM infection was already in full force.

Is there any indication if Central Waters is aging PM or their BBBW longer as well? That'd be awesome.

I gotta agree that while CW BB Stout is a great beer BCBS is still better. For the price though it's a toss up.

funhog likes this.
  22. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

CW is very good, but BCBS is superior IMO. Now that's it's achieved shelf status brew it will take the hits for being easy to get. But it is expensive.

juliusseizure likes this.
  23. Absolutely. CWBBS is not anywhere close to the tongue-coating wonder that BCBS is.

randjuke likes this.
  24. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Yep. They are two different animals, I like 'em both for different reasons. Surprised people are saying CW is too hot, I've never had that come across.

stevegoz and ncaudle like this.
  25. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (460) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

Saint Arnolds Bishops Barrel 1 outclasses both. I'm from Texas though, so keep that in mind.​
    Based on reviews, not even the homers from Texas think so.

yamar68 likes this.
  26. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

These two beers represent the two very different problems with many bbal beers for me.

BCBS is overwhelmingly boozy and sweet. Toffee and bourbon dominate with no depth or balance.

Central Waters's BBal Stout, on the other hand, is too timid. The beer is completely overwhelmed by the barrel, resulting in a beer that is only distinguishable as a stout by its label and color. Not difficult to drink like BCBS, but also lacking complexity.

I like my bbal beers to have balance and complexity. KBS, CBS, Black Note, Abyss, Schlafly BBal Stout, Parabola, Ivan, Lindley Park, Heresy, ORF, etc. are all good examples of bbal stouts that use the barrels to support and compliment the flavors of the base beers rather than to mask or dominate.

IamMe90 and ChiTownPackFan like this.
  27. Ford

Ford Savant (480) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I'm from Texas... and I've had previous BCBS and I think BB1 from Saint ARnold is better. Sadly, they don't have the capacity to make it year round or in huge batches.

I have not had the other... and is often the case I disagree with reviews on here all the time... and I'm sure others disagree with my reviews... way of the world.

28. This comparison is a bit silly as one is under 10% and other is 15%, obviously one is gonna have a bigger mouthfeel and more flavor. But I would give CW the edge just because it is so much more drinkable, it is a beer I could see having any day of the week and any time of the year. It is also one I do not buy to age, I buy about a case and a half so I have some to drink untill it comes out the next year, I have saved a couple each year for comparison. BCBS on the other hand I have a case of and I assume when it comes out next year I will still have the better part of the case.

29. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I'm a bit surprised by these responses, but then again most of you are Wisconsin fan boys, and since Central Waters only sends beer to Chicago (outside of Wisco), it makes sense.
    *Edit: not meant to offend, just an observation.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  30. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Whatever possessed them to put BCBS into Bombers? When you pop one of those babies you just made a commitment. Nice to see sanity and 12 oz bottles.

31. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (270) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

I had the 2012 version of CW's and thought it had way too much bourbon flavor. It masked the entire beer. Sometimes I think there is an idea that the more bourbon, the better the beer, but a lot of these barrel aged guys have no balance whatsoever.

I think BCBS is well balanced but I've recently come to the conclusion that I vastly prefer non-BA stouts.

ChiTownPackFan likes this.
  32. Mn gets cw too

yamar68 and MarcatGSB like this.
  33. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (865) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

CW BBS is a lot easier and cheaper to get than BCBS in WI where some of us are from. For most, rarity and cost make the experience of drinking a beer better; for me, if its a good beer then I appreciate being able to get it more easily.

34. The CW BB Stout doesn't have the dark chocolate, roast, and body I want in an Imperial Stout, let alone one that can hold up to a bourbon barrel. BCBS is really on the opposite end of the spectrum - a bit too extreme for my tastes.

35. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

FTFY. Almost blurted out loud laughing when I read the OP that the Central Waters BBS had "more body".

36. So they beefed up the barrel treatment. Did they beef up the thin, watery, brown almost non existent base beer? This to me is the more important question to be asked.

CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  37. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Since when does higher abv = more flavor? I agree that comparing beers with such a drastic difference is abv is a bit silly since they will certainly have different flavors, but abv and depth of flavor are by no means directly proportional. Every Cantillon beer I've had at 5-6% has had much more depth than the majority of bbal stouts I've had. Hell, I've had a 2.5% Berliner weisse with more flavor than DFH WWS.

38. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (585) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I have had quite a bit of both and "fresh" I absolutely like CW much more. With age, BCBS is amazing.

39. Right.... Also NG fruit beers are 4% with loads of flavor... I was using it in context to the beers and style being discussed, so Cantillon has nothing to do with it.

40. Daemose

Daemose Savant (480) Texas Oct 3, 2011

BCBS tasted like straight up booze when I had it.