1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bourbon County Stout vs. Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by WYVYRN527, Jan 4, 2013.

1. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

No, you haven't. Whatever the rolleyes smiley is, I'm doing that. I'm all for comparisons and hyperbole, but that's just silly.

2. drewba

drewba Savant (375) Illinois Nov 14, 2009

Thanks for the post because I felt like I was taking crazy pills reading these replies. Do you have any other specifics on how cwbbs is different this year?

Regardless, this is good news. I've picked up a 4 pack of bbs for the past few years, would drink 1 or 2 and couldn't wait to give the remaining bottles away. Until this thread, Levi "turbohomer" Funk is the only person I've ever heard describe bbs as better than mediocre.

3. I think you'll find a pretty direct correlation between ABV and density of flavor in any beer style. Depending on how you define and measure what 'depth and flavor' are, it seems like a mathematical certainty that a 15% abv stout will have a more dense concentration of flavor compounds than a 10% one. A 50% jump in gravity is substantial. Taste is subjective, but in terms of measurable compounds a boozier beer must have more.

I love BCBS and I love Fou Foune, and both are profoundly flavorful beers, but its pretty clear that BCBS has a greater density of flavor.

4. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (300) Illinois May 1, 2012

BCBS is the superior beer, CW BBS is the superior value.

Redrover likes this.
  5. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

The only change that I'm aware of was an additional 6 months in the barrels. I found this year's vintage to have a mellower alcohol presence and a more pronounced vanilla oak / sweet smooth bourbon character. I guess I just found it more approachable than this year's BCBS.

nickapalooza86 and drewba like this.
  6. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

There's this cool website where you can read reviews of beers. There's plenty of people who seems to like this "Bourbon Barrel" whatever-it-is.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/652/16062

7. drewba

drewba Savant (375) Illinois Nov 14, 2009

that last sentence was tongue in cheek, I just wanted to call levi a Homer. I'm aware there are people that enjoy cwbbs, I just don't know any :)

maximum12 and MarkIntihar like this.
  8. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (600) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

While they're both bourbon barrel aged, they are miles apart from each other. Both are awesome IMO, but BCBS is more boozy and sweet, more like a sipping cordial. CW bbs is more toned down where you can actually taste more complex flavors. And I'm actually comparing both 2012 releases.

9. You say a more pronounced vanilla oak/sweet smooth bourbon character - I say it tastes more like a watered down bottle of bourbon. I was really looking forward to this years release, but the base beer already had a hard time standing up to six months of aging let alone 12. This years batch has almost no detectable sign of being a stout aside from the fact that it is dark and has some roast to it. The bourbon completely overtook this beer.

Don't get me wrong - I drink my bourbon neat - but if I want a barrel aged stout I'll go for BCBS first.

10. Opinions are opinions but I can't believe this is still a thread.

11. goalie33

goalie33 Savant (340) New York Dec 3, 2009

while I don't think bbs is as good as bcbs, I could see bbs being a regular go-to beer due to cost and body and saving bcbs for those special occasions. I wouldnt ever turn down either one though.

12. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

The same concept still applies. If you want the exact same style, then use KBS, which is far more flavorful than BCBCS despite its lower abv.

Please, tell me more about my tastes. I guess Everclear is the most flavorful alcohol for you since it has the highest abv?

Depends on how you define flavorful. I tend to think of it as distinguishable flavors along with the balance. If you simply mean intensity, then BCBS is certainly intense. That's not necessarily a good thing, though. In that sense, a ghost pepper is more flavorful than a sushi grade slice of albacore tuna, but in terms of what has more discernable flavors and is more pleasing to the palate, the albacore wins every time.

13. Do it!!!!!!!!!!!

14. yamar68

So you're agreeing with OP on this one?

15. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

BCBS is better then Central Waters i think, but not by much. That being said, BCBS isnt good enough for me to justify paying almost double what I can get the CW for. For that, Central Waters wins handily.

16. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Higher abv = higher residual sugars = more flavor(s).

mattsander likes this.
  17. How does me saying I'll take BCBS every time equal Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout is better than BCBS?

This years BCBS was/is far superior to Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout in my opinion.

18. Higher sugar does not equal more flavor. It simply means more sugar and a possibly higher alcohol content depending on yeast used and the fermentation process. Flavor is affected my many more variables than just sugar.

Go lick a sugar cube and then eat a piece of peppered beef jerky and tell me which has more flavor.

Correlation does not imply causation.

FeDUBBELFIST likes this.
  19. yamar68

It just seemed like you were hinting at that.

20. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (525) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

While I enjoy the price point an quality of CW's offerings, the BBS has always reminded me more of a whiskey & cola, than a bourbon barrel stout. It pours thin, is cola colored, has a fizzy light head, and is nowhere near as dark as a standard Imperial Stout. The base beer is just doesn't hold up its end of the bargain. They do great things with Barleywines and 1414 was an amazing beer, but BBS just doesn't measure up.

This doesn't mean I don't buy it or enjoy it; I just know what it is and what to expect from it... A nice bourbon beer.

MarkIntihar and MarcatGSB like this.
  21. YogiBeer

Volatile aroma compounds... there is NO WAY that something with shitloads more malt (and malt diversity) will have less flavor than something with as simple a grain bill as a berliner weiss. You may LIKE one more than the other one, which is fine (and which I can understand, because I love berliner weiss), but what you said is silly and sensationalist. I'm being picky and a douche, but I dislike when people say nonsense like that. If you're talking about subtelty, thats a different animal entirely.

22. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

2012 CW BBS > 2012 BCBS

Never had the previous years of either so I can't comment on those.

23. n2185

Not necessarily. Duvel, for instance, has a 97% attenuation rate at 8.5% abv. Once you get to the really high gravities, there are more residual sugars. At that point, though, you also begin to increase intensity, which can reduce discernable flavors. Look at 120 Minute IPA, which many people will agree isn't really an IPA because it gets so sweet that you lose hop flavors.

Malt is not the only thing that contributes to flavors in a beer. We just seem to differ in what constitutes flavorful. I consider it to be somewhere in the middle of a scale that ranges from bland at one extreme and overly intense at the other. At either extreme, you lose depth and flavor by either there just not being anytbeing there in the case of the former and there being so much of one or two flavors that other flavors are lost or masked in the case of the latter. That's not to say that you can't enjoy things at either extreme since sometimes you may want something that's really simple or that's like a punch to the face. I just don't think intense necessarily equals flavorful.

24. Those are two wildly different beers, it would be like comparing Czar Jack to BBpt5. I understand that personal preferences exist but saying that a S600 blows an m3 out of the water makes no sense to me.

AND THAT IS MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE OF MY OPINION SO THEREFORE I CAN JUST SAY ANYTHING AND IT IS RIGHT.

25. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I had CW BBS from 2011 vintage and it was way too thin, imo.

BCBS has no flaws.

BCBS wins.

26. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

To me there's no comparison. Now if this was BCBS vs. 1414 that would be a different story.

27. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

If I have more sugar in my beer, it will taste sweeter. It will have more sweet flavor, right? I didn't say different flavors, just more flavor.

28. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

This is one of the worst "this beer is better than this beer" threads I've ever seen. The Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout is one of the worst barrel aged stouts I've ever seen. I don't care about availability or price. That beer sucks.

29. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Possibly the worst beer of the style that I've ever had, and incredibly thin.

We had a blind barrel aged stout tasting at MordorMongo's and I said "this beer isn't even a stout" twice, and it was two different vintages of the CW.

YogiBeer likes this.
  30. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Savant (285) Colorado Apr 4, 2012

I spoke to one of the owners/brewers a few weeks ago and word is all of their BA beers will be 1 year aged from now on. I specifically asked about the BBBW and he said it would be 1 year Barrel Aged from now on just like the BBS. I'm pretty sure PM is getting the same treatment.

Also, all those people talking about aging CW BBS, it completely drops off between 1 and 2 years. The CW brewer I spoke to even admitted it isn't a beer to age and should be consumed within 1 year (as many have said, it is substantially thinner than a lot of other BA stouts out their which I would imagine is why it doesn't age well. I had a 4 year old CW BBS a few months ago and it was horrendous. It didn't even resemble a stout anymore. I can't explain what it tasted like but it wasn't good.

CW BBBW on the other hand is glorious aged. Had a 4 year old BBBW a few weeks back and it was one of the better BB Barleywines I've ever had and I'm not a huge fan of it fresh.

31. n2185

More of that flavor, but by increasing one, you can cover or mask others. If you add four ounces of half-and-half and five grams of sugar to an 8 oz cup of kopi luwak coffee, are you making it more flavorful?

32. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

Time for me to rotate some of my stock, then....

33. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

CW BBBW is one of my top five beers to age. Absolutely sublime.

I'd disagree that the BBS drops off the table. I had a '10 two nights ago & was surprised at how good it was...I only kept a few on the theory it probably wouldn't age well, & I've completely changed my mind.

Diff'rent strokes & all that.

WYVYRN527 likes this.
  34. Definitely not. And ignoring the "(s)" from your earlier post completely...:)
    More sugar doesn't mean that a beer will taste sweeter. Residual sugars are a function of how (in)efficient the yeast are at consuming the sugar in wort. So, two beers with the same initial gravity (amount of sugar) can finish fermenting at two completely different final gravities. The result depends on a myriad of reasons: yeast strain, mash temperature, fermentation temperature, etc. All of these factors (and more) can impact the level of residual sugars (or sweet flavor).

35. mjpolzin

mjpolzin Savant (250) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2011

Central Waters is my favorite overall brewery but this to me is no comparison; BCBS is a much, much better beer than the Central Waters version.

36. I don't think these two are even close. CW BB Stout is decent but I thought it tasted a little thin and watered down. Which is shocking since its 9.5% ABV. I think BCBS blows it away.

37. More body? I'm sorry I think this is actually objectively wrong. Like, you can prefer the body of CWBBS, but it's actually thinner. There is less body. I don't know how anyone could disagree with that.

Personally, BCBS blows CW out of the water. Waay thicker, way more chocolate flavor, more bourbon. CW is good given the price point but the actually stout qualities taste watered down. BCBS is a much bolder beverage.

38. YogiBeer

Doing a side by side right now, both 2012.... It isnt even remotely close. How high were you when you made this?

disclaimer: legit question, not being insulting.

39. JJWIGHT

JJWIGHT Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 14, 2012

I love CW BBS, it is smooth, drinkable and one of the most affordable ba-stouts. Having said that BCBS kicks its ass any day, any year. The 2012 CW is drinking phenomenally fresh though, the extra aging will make me seek out plenty extra.

40. No kidding on the 09 BCBS, those bombers are amazing. They were on shelves here for months back then to...